closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Older than I thought

Master

Older than I thought

Hi there,

Just wondered what people's opinions are on this, I purchased a heavily discounted Breitling Flying Fish brand new from a local AD a couple of months ago, it was discounted due to the fact they were selling of their stock as they were not selling Breitling anymore!

I got the feeling that the Watch could have been a display model due to having the stickers removed and having a scratch on the Tang Buckle but given the discount I'm not to bothered about that, but when I removed the strap to reveal the manufacture date I learned that my 2015 purchased Watch was indeed a 2011 Watch and that was not mentioned at the point of sale!

My question is will my Watch need a service shortly being already 4yrs old? And do Oils degrade with age as well as movement on this modern in-house B01 movement? Also should they have at least mentioned the age of the Watch when I purchased it?

Thanks for any advice

Matt
    Last edited by Matt68; 30th August 2015 at 08:35.

Master
    What's the guarantee on it? Two years? If something is going to go wrong, it'll probably happen during that time. So the AD you bought it from will have to deal with it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your new watch.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, like has been said it will be presumably warrantied and i would think if there were any issues with the oils etc you would know about it before that ends, it was heavily discounted so i cant see much of an issue

I am no expert btw, but don't let it take the shine off your purchase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    My question is will my Watch need a service shortly being already 4yrs old?

Thanks for any advice

Matt
    No.

Wear the watch, enjoy it (and the discount) and, when it stops keeping good time, have it serviced.

Master
    Okay thanks for that guys!

I'd be very surprised if every watch for sale has been manufactured within eg the last year. You hear stories about eg steel Daytona's being in short supply, and released in dribs and drabs even though they have safes full of them - I can't believe watches get made to order, and less popular or more expensive models might well take longer to sell. I wouldn't worry about it for a second tbh

You did not mention the price you paid, but if it was around 3k, I would live with it and be glad you have the in house movement at a great price with the knowledge of a two year warranty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    You did not mention the price you paid, but if it was around 3k, I would live with it and be glad you have the in house movement at a great price with the knowledge of a two year warranty.
    I paid £3460 and the in house comes with a 5 year warranty so no so bad

Master
    Your B01 watch has a 5 year warranty, not 2.

Often cases can be a few years old and may pre-date the movement which may itself have been manufactured a year or two later before then being combined and sent out to an AD.

If you have any issues with it (unlikely) your warranty is cast-iron for 5 years from the date you bought it - I would cut out the AD and deal with BUK directly, should you need to.

You got a great deal on a fab watch - this should not at all cause you any concern or take any of the shine off, so pls dont worry!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Your B01 watch has a 5 year warranty, not 2.

Often cases can be a few years old and may pre-date the movement which may itself have been manufactured a year or two later before then being combined and sent out to an AD.

If you have any issues with it (unlikely) your warranty is cast-iron for 5 years from the date you bought it - I would cut out the AD and deal with BUK directly, should you need to.

You got a great deal on a fab watch - this should not at all cause you any concern or take any of the shine off, so pls dont worry!
    Thanks for that Adrian, I never considered the Case could be older that the movement, loving the Watch! :)

I asked a similar question several years ago as I was offered a watch from an AD that was new, but several years old.

Several of the watch makers on the forum clarified that it is the movement of the mechanism that causes wear and the fact it has been static should mean it is fine. The oils will naturally dry or deteriorate over time, but in your case and mine it is so negligible over a relatively short period as not to be a problem.

All the best

Steve

Its George Banks right? Your best bet will be to go straight to Breitling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Its George Banks right? Your best bet will be to go straight to Breitling.
    Purchased from Leonard Dews Blackpool Alan!

Watches often sit for a while, Cartier even factor this in - their watches have a sticker on the caseback showing a date which, if the watch hasn't sold by then, idicates a return to Cartier for a service.

I have always assumed that the size of the retail markup is a strong indicator of the typical length of time that watches stay in jeweller's windows.

Master
    It's probably quite normal for a Watch that's possibly been a display model thinking about it, but when I first identified the year of manufacture I was a little surprised, well I'm assuming it's ex display given its age!