closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Caliber 89 … a suitable addition for any collection.

IWC Caliber 89 … a suitable addition for any collection.

Does not really need an introduction but for anyone 'starting out' and wondering what to add to their collection … it's a very well known and respected movement which has proved robust and reliable for almost 70 years. Google IWC 89 to read the whole story.

IWC Caliber 89 … Designed by Albert Pellaton in 1946. That's a scratch on the winding wheel - emphasised by the grazed lighting.

Close-up showing SN which dates it to 1952.

[/url]

Simple dial … understated elegance.

Best wishes

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 30th August 2015 at 01:00.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I became a fan of this movement having read a little about it some years ago. It seems to be very well thought of by people with a greater knowledge of watch movements than me.

Wish I could add some great insights to the thread, but alas I cannot. It really is worth reading some of the info on this movement if you are in any way interested.

Here's mine love it 1951 RAF issue and still accurate to around 4 seconds a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    Here's mine love it 1951 RAF issue and still accurate to around 4 seconds a day.
    Super, and a proven investment … I had a Fleet Air Arm Mk XI and entered in into a Sotheby auction way back in 2001 where it failed to reach the reserve and was 'bought in' by the auctioneer for £500! Bad decision on my part and have regretted parting with it ever since. Nowadays they sell for c. £3K … and Blowers is listing one for £3950.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 30th August 2015 at 12:03.

In 2003 I bought a PRS-1 - Eddie's homage to the Mk XI and a very worthy alternative.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 30th August 2015 at 12:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Super, and a proven investment … I had a Fleet Air Arm Mk XI and entered in into a Sotheby auction way back in 2001 where it failed to reach the reserve and was 'bought in' by the auctioneer for £500! Bad decision on my part and have regretted parting with it ever since. Nowadays they sell for c. £3K … and Blowers is listing one for £3950.

dunk
    Is the IWC calibre 89 really so desirable? It was, after all, a workhorse for IWC and nowhere near as sophisticated as its predecessor, the 83.

As for paying £4k for one, that's not a matter of debate. It's just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Is the IWC calibre 89 really so desirable? It was, after all, a workhorse for IWC and nowhere near as sophisticated as its predecessor, the 83.

As for paying £4k for one, that's not a matter of debate. It's just silly.
    Most IWC and military watch enthusiasts are aware of why the MK XI commands a premium price. I commenced this thread because the Caliber 89 is, as you mention, a workhorse. I'd also like to own an 83.

dunk

With regard to the question if the 89 is such a good calibre:
    Yes, it is.

Mine is keeping time within chronometer.
    That is a 1958 watch running @ approx +3 with almost no positional variation and about zero beat error.

You can buy an IWC watch with cal. 89 for 1000 Pounds. The Mark 11 Flieger is a special case and a bit of a cult watch.
    JK

Quote Originally Posted by soegaard View Post
    You can buy an IWC watch with cal. 89 for 1000 Pounds. The Mark 11 Flieger is a special case and a bit of a cult watch.
    JK

Caliber 89 watches can be bought for less than £1K too … but price is not the point of this thread … proven reliability and longevity is more to the point. The Mk XI price was mentioned to illustrate that it's a very sought after timepiece.

dunk

Master
    You're right and I'd certainly be very pleased if I had an 89 in one of my watches.

Grand Master
    These movements are superbly engineered, quality is top-notch; I`ve worked on a couple and I`m mightily impressed.

However, the drawback is the parts availability........or lack of. IWC flatly refuse to sell parts and for that reason I won`t touch them any more. When I tried to source parts for a 1960s IWC from the IWC service folks I was met with total arrogance.

Paul

Not that many brands will sell spare parts these days.

My watchmaker can make most parts.

dunk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    My watchmaker can make most parts.

dunk
    At what price?

Someone somewhere will make any part if the owner is willing to pay.

Try explaining the parts supply situation to anyone outside watch circles and they simply can`t believe it. If there were Health and Safety implications involved with fixing watches badly I could understand the restrictions...........but they're only bloody watches when all's said and done.

I find working on my classic car more rewarding thesedays, no-one messing me around with parts supply, no-one saying I can`t do this or can`t do that, and it's a whole lot easier! Total contrast to the arrogance of the Swiss watch industry.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    At what price?

Someone somewhere will make any part if the owner is willing to pay.

Try explaining the parts supply situation to anyone outside watch circles and they simply can`t believe it. If there were Health and Safety implications involved with fixing watches badly I could understand the restrictions...........but they're only bloody watches when all's said and done.

I find working on my classic car more rewarding thesedays, no-one messing me around with parts supply, no-one saying I can`t do this or can`t do that, and it's a whole lot easier! Total contrast to the arrogance of the Swiss watch industry.

Paul
    Of course customers have to pay … he's a professionally qualified watchmaker trying to make a living.

dunk

Very nice Dunk.

I don't have any cal 89's any more but still have my all original cal 88 from 1946.

Even has the original fish crown!

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Very nice Dunk.

I don't have any cal 89's any more but still have my all original cal 88 from 1946.

Even has the original fish crown!
    ]
    … and charismatic lugs :)

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    These movements are superbly engineered, quality is top-notch; I`ve worked on a couple and I`m mightily impressed.

However, the drawback is the parts availability........or lack of. IWC flatly refuse to sell parts and for that reason I won`t touch them any more. When I tried to source parts for a 1960s IWC from the IWC service folks I was met with total arrogance.

Paul
    Cousins does have a fair selection IWC parts in stock including Cal 89.

I recently sourced a Cal 89 ratchet wheel from Cousins

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/f...movement-parts. ... scroll up to see other IWC calibers' parts.

BW

dunk