closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did I do the right thing?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    This is just what happens when you buy too many cameras.
    I see my future and in it I am wearing poorly-repaired Church's boots, a beaten up Monster and grasping a Leica M2 loaded with Tri-X alone in a park muttering to myself. A bloke version of Blue Jasmine, without the laughs.

I'd be happy with either of these watches. But also neither. I do like the Monster, in case I haven't mentioned it. Authenticity you see. Get home from the high class soirée, full of money and finery, and crack open a beer with the girl next door. Hello ? Hey mister, I was talking to you. Spare any change guv ? Hello ? I had an IWC once.

Craftsman
    Good topic, and a difficult question as they are VERY different watches. Would you care to elaborate whether you have other watches in your collection and which? Or if you are a one watch guy.

JLC for me as said before the date spoils a nice dial ...

Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    Good topic, and a difficult question as they are VERY different watches. Would you care to elaborate whether you have other watches in your collection and which? Or if you are a one watch guy.
    Yes I have lots of other watches, (Reverso, 5513, PO, vintage omegas, vintage enicars etc etc) but not a perpetual calendar.

That's a tough one, but the Patek I think for me.

JLC has many many complications in it. PP has one. No brainer

Master
    I would keep the JLC. The PP looks a bit boring.

The JLC for me every time.

The Aquanaut, imo, only commands such reverence because of the name on the dial. It stands on the shoulders, as it were, of its more illustrious stable mates.

I have had an Aquanaut, but got rid as it just wasn't special enough to justify the price.

It was your call so yes, you did the right thing.

JLC all the way.

The JLC. The 8day PC is one of the most beautiful watches I've had on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    If it helps, John, "not sure but quite happy" sums up my feelings very well too. I really do think both watches are little pieces of perfection in their own way, so neither of us could make a mistake, right?
    Of course. As I said at the start, just a bit of fun. JLC in the lead now. It's interesting how people perceive things though. If you ever want your perception challenged, ask a non watch enthusiast to look at your collection and pick out the most desirable and /or the most expensive pieces.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    The JLC for me every time.

The Aquanaut, imo, only commands such reverence because of the name on the dial. It stands on the shoulders, as it were, of its more illustrious stable mates.

I have had an Aquanaut, but got rid as it just wasn't special enough to justify the price.
    Interesting.I have a Nautilus 5711 and i am becoming increasingly obsessed with owning an Aquanaut aswell mainly for the rubber strap.Sounds absolutely ridiculous now I've written it down!
    Time for a rethink i think.

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Interesting.I have a Nautilus 5711 and i am becoming increasingly obsessed with owning an Aquanaut aswell mainly for the rubber strap.Sounds absolutely ridiculous now I've written it down!
    Time for a rethink i think.
    It doesn't actually - if there's a more comfortable strap anywhere, on any watch, I'd like to know about it. It's superb quality, and to my mind couldn't suit the watch better.

Master
    IMHO the answer to the question

If you swapped the Patek for the JLC - yes

If you swapped the JLC for the Patek - no

I hanker after an Aquanaut, it is one of my "grail" watches, but it pales in the company of that JLC.

Two totally different watches. Both great for different reasons. Personally I would prefer the Patek, as I prefer simple clean design most of the times. If it was Lange instead of JLC, I would be very tempted, but still in the end I would go for the Patek.

I'd take the JLC. The PP does very little for me.

Master
    The Patek for me, just prefer it.

The JLC for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Yes I have lots of other watches, (Reverso, 5513, PO, vintage omegas, vintage enicars etc etc) but not a perpetual calendar.
    Still a difficult question, i would say first of, no matter which you picked it is a great choice. Hmm, the Jaeger le coultre is on paper the most interesting and in my opinion better made watch, JLC is easily on par with Patek regarding craftsmanship at a more affordable price. The advantage of the Patek is the name Patek and that it seems more casual in its appearance and therefore perhaps easier to wear? but in that case you have the (i assume Rolex 5513) which suits the diver casual.

Again, this is a case of no wrongs, but i would say that if you traded your Patek for the JLC you did not make a mistake.

Patek for me

Master
    JLC for me, I like both brands but for some reason, however many great photos I see of that PP, it just isn't for me

Craftsman
    As the JLC is now winning it seems you did the right thing; for me though the PP would win.

JLC is the nicer looking watch but the PP probably has the edge on prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    The JLC. The date on the Patek irritates me as it breaks up a rather nice dial.
    I second that!

I love the design of the Aquanaut but I seem to have a date window allergy, especially if they are at 3 o'clock and in a different color than the dial.

The JLC is a masterpiece! I would fear to wear it though as I am a notorious door-frame banger...

Patek for me the JLC is not something that I would wear. I'm just too rough to wear something like that. Both very nice time pieces though

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    If you ever want your perception challenged, ask a non watch enthusiast to look at your collection and pick out the most desirable and /or the most expensive pieces.
    Interesting. I'd quite like to try that at some point!