closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos In-House Worth it?

Journeyman

Nomos In-House Worth it?

Hi all ,

I've been considering buying a Nomos on the secondary market.
    To be honest to sole reason for me to buy a Nomos is clean design i kinda like Cough Cough* but mostly for its movement.
    The fact that you get a in-house made movement just for under 3k and with their new own in-house made escapement its a steal.
    I've heard very good stuff about their Customer service and their pricing is atleast listed. Entire overhaul is like a tad over 100 euro's (unlike richmont)

I do wonder though is it worth it? or should i opt for something else. I heard some questioning Nomos value because according to some ( source: internet thus unreliable) In-house made doesn't mean instant value.
    On the other hand If i can finally enter the TZ-UK sales corner I might as well add some money and opt for a 8500 ocean planet.
    I wonder how much are those going for nowadays? is 2500 euros achievable?

Thanks all for reading.

Craftsman
    It's dependent on what you perceive as good value. The new Nomos Tangente Automatik is an excellent watch and is highly respected as such. It is unlikely to draw any attention, unless you surround yourself with WISs regularly. In my opinion the Tangente is good value for a high quality, well constructed watch with in-house movement that hardly any other brands have been able to produce at that price point (perhaps now Tudor with the North Flag). The movements are reliable and keep excellent time (often to COSC standards) but the watch is unlikely to be a great investment piece. I would say, if you really want the Tangente then get it, you won't be disappointed. But if what you actually want is a PO then wait. The Tangente is unlikely to sate your desire for a PO.

FYI Nomos Tangentes don't appear on SC very often so you're not missing much. I think there has been a few Clubs and a Tetra on there lately but nothing more.

Also, I own a Tangente and it is my daily wearer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy the Nomos only if you prefer the design. No matter how good value it is, if you like the PO better that's the one you'll end up wanting and flipping the Nomos will lose you a good chunk of cash.

If you can afford both, then there's no harm in geting the Nomos. Personally I'd love one, but there's others ahead of it in the list

I think that Nomos offers the most watch for the money at their cost level. They have a level of design competency that very few other companies offer at any cost, they have an obvious love for watchmaking that's absent from most luxury-conglomerate-owned brands, and they make very good stuff.

Personally, I'd rather wear something from Nomos than a Planet Ocean.

For someone that appreciates their design, there's no other company I'd recommend more highly in their price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Buy the Nomos only if you prefer the design. No matter how good value it is, if you like the PO better that's the one you'll end up wanting and flipping the Nomos will lose you a good chunk of cash.

If you can afford both, then there's no harm in geting the Nomos. Personally I'd love one, but there's others ahead of it in the list
    The thing is, POs tend to get flipped for Submariners and losing an even bigger chunk of cash.

Rather than being a less-expensive substitute, their watches have a unique identity that can complement others in a collection. So the Nomos won't become redundant after he gets the Rolex as a sports watch. :)