closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Arrival today - MM300 Content

New Arrival today - MM300 Content

What can I say about the MM300 that hasn't already been said a thousand times.

Not much!

However, therein lay the problem. Forum darling though it is - I had never actually seen one in the flesh.
    I resolved some while ago to try and do so however never managed to. Time went by and I kept hearing about it and seeing other member pics.
    Eventually, I could bear it no more and started a thread a few weeks ago asking if someone could perhaps lend me theirs for a day to try on. I had always had reservation about the thickness especially with my tiny 6.75 inch wrists!
    Anyway to cut a long story short - a fine gentleman (with a large and enviable Seiko collection) from this forum responded by PM and lent me his for a try out. He said keep it a while and really see how you get on with it.
    He wouldn't even let me pay him back for the postage costs! Now that's what I call a true gent and also great forum spirit!
    At this stage he shall remain nameless (unless he's happy for me to say?) however you know who you are -and let me just say a big thank you once again.

Needless to say, I loved the MM300 and resolved to get one. However that led to another dilemma.
    Which MM300 to get?
    There are currently a few variations around:

1. SBDX001 - the original but discontinued this year
    2. SBDX003 - LE (run of 500) from the year 2000 historical collection
    3. SBDX012 - LE (run of 1000) from this year to mark Seiko Divers' 50th anniversary
    4. SBDX017 - the replacement for the SBDX001, with MEMS / Diashield coating and a controversial signed crown.

I really liked the original that I had tried on, but my daughter said it looked like my other divers. By that I think she meant stainless steel and black
    Anyway that got me thinking and I decided actually she may have a point!

As the SBDX003 is hard to come by I decided in reality the only option for me would be the SBDX012. Not an easy task as they were sold out pretty much as soon as they were released.
    However they do pop up now and again. Luckily for me I managed to bag a Brand new one from a lovely bloke in Hong Kong (whom I had not dealt with before but thankfully it was a very easy and straightforward purchase).
    Indeed I would certainly deal with him again. If you are reading this - thanks Charles!

So (and as you guys probably know if you are anything like me) once I knew it was on it's way I was hitting that refresh button on the tracking site a lot!
    Well, thankfully, it arrived safely today and here are a few quick pics I took of the unboxing and the watch:

I took it off the bracelet and put it straight on the extra rubber strap provided:

Quick lume shot too:

Have to say, I am very chuffed to have managed to snag one of the Limited edition versions and it's definitely a keeper!
    Apparently this version also has MEMS and diashield coating as well. Bonus!
    Last edited by Thorien; 29th August 2015 at 18:15.

Great forum generosity and a marvellous watch. Enjoy.

Really , really nice choice. If ever you get bored of it , please bear me in mind. Thanks Davey bignose
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Lovely.
    I wish some one could do a SBDX03 and 012 comparision.
    Stefan (S.L) has owned both.
    Would love to hear his take.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic watch and looks fab squire.

I have just had my 001 on all week in the sun in Spain and hard to believe but it just gets better and better.

I even took it down to eight feet in the pool.

Paul

That looks great!

Like you I've been curious to try a MM300 but have been concerned about the size and thickness (we have similar sized wrists).

Do you have any wrist shots?

Lovely and nice photo's. I've got one of these in the cupboard to be opened for my 40th next year ...it's been so hard not to open it and wear it!

Great catch :-)

Master
    What a looker, really like the vintage vibe.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Really , really nice choice. If ever you get bored of it , please bear me in mind. Thanks Davey bignose
    Thanks Dave, will do, though slightly concerned at how parts of you seem to be growing uncontrollably. Big nose and big potatoes? What's next?!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lovely.
    Indeed, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Fantastic watch and looks fab squire.

I have just had my 001 on all week in the sun in Spain and hard to believe but it just gets better and better.

I even took it down to eight feet in the pool.

Paul
    I don't think it can get any better as I'm already besotted by it but looking forward to finding out

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That looks great!

Like you I've been curious to try a MM300 but have been concerned about the size and thickness (we have similar sized wrists).

Do you have any wrist shots?
    No wrist shots at present, though I have to say I saw a lot of wrist shots and they don't help. You need to physically try one on to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Lovely and nice photo's. I've got one of these in the cupboard to be opened for my 40th next year ...it's been so hard not to open it and wear it!
    How on earth do you manage to have the will power to do that?! Truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by windows95 View Post
    Great catch :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    What a looker, really like the vintage vibe.
    Enjoy.
    Thanks, chaps

Master
    Great purchase, enjoy!

Craftsman
    Great watch. sure you'll not regret.

That looks ace! Now to continue with the same forum spirit I'll PM you my address so you can lend it to me for a while.

FWIW, I think you made an excellent choice. I've had 5 MM300s and this is the one I'll get eventually (although I seem to have rather a lot of Seikos right now, so it may have to wait).

Very nice, I've owned one for a while and will know doubt get another some day, just a pity it doesn't have Saphire crystal...

I really would like to like the MM300s. However, having owned one (SBDX001), the pinching clasp did my head in, and the loose timekeeping annoyed me too. For looks though I agree, this version wins hands down. Enjoy!

A fabulous watch and the fella who loaned you his is a top bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I really would like to like the MM300s. However, having owned one (SBDX001), the pinching clasp did my head in, and the loose timekeeping annoyed me too. For looks though I agree, this version wins hands down. Enjoy!
    Assuming you aren't diving in it, the trick with these is to pick up a standard 4-hole clasp from Yobokies... becomes and altogether different proposition then, and I do like the bracelet anyway.

A great choice Billy, the gold lettering on the '012 make it really stand out, and it looks its best on rubber. This is without doubt the must have Marinemaster.

I like to wear my MM300 on the rubber strap, it's light and comfortable. The bracelet is OK but being S/S it all adds to the weight.

Congrats!

Thanks for the positive comments chaps and for the good tip Tony. I'm wearing it on the rubber atm but will look into the yobokies clasp, although I need to adjust the bracelet first - which tbh I'm slightly apprehensive about as I think it's the pin and collar type?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    A great choice Billy, the gold lettering on the '012 make it really stand out, and it looks its best on rubber. This is without doubt the must have Marinemaster.

I like to wear my MM300 on the rubber strap, it's light and comfortable. The bracelet is OK but being S/S it all adds to the weight.

Congrats!
    Thanks Jim!
    I'll give the bracelet a try (once I've adjusted it) but I do generally find rubber comfortable. Although I've seen some nice pics where someone had a 012 on a brown canvas with gold stitching.

Congratulations Billy, an excellent choice! You need it's grandad to compliment it now

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lovely.
    Cosmetically they are a pretty close call.
    Pure logic probably dictates 012 due to MEMS (haven't really understood what that is though), diashield and possible warranty.
    From a more illogical WIS perspective I'd alwas pick 003 for historical reasons and desireability.

I guess I should never have sold you the 003.

If pushed I prefer the slightly cleaner dial of the 003.

On a side note, not sure compared to the 003 because I sold it some time ago, but compared to the 001 I have the feeling that the dial of the 012 is more matte/less glossy. Certainly seems like it in some light...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    Congratulations Billy, an excellent choice! You need it's grandad to compliment it now

every time i see that picture i feel a wave of sympathetic joy seasoned with an acidic twang of aspirational longing
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Thanks Duncan, the 6159 will I think have to remain on the wish list for the foreseeable future.
    Even if funds weren't tight at present, I doubt I'd ever find one as beautiful as your one.

Like a big friendly dog the MM300 is best appreciated under a big sky. Throughout a recent short holiday spent mostly on and around water my Marinemaster felt right at home. Unless you are a proper hero its doesnt lend a flattering look whilst back home shopping in Lidl.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fun thread due to comparisons.
    However - congrats to your new watch!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    every time i see that picture i feel a wave of sympathetic joy seasoned with an acidic twang of aspirational longing
    I quite understand the sentiment....

Yes, thanks for the comparison shots S.L and your thoughts, I agree with the cleaner dial on the SBDX003 though I prefer the red dot on the seconds hand of the SBDX012 and the gold accents on the bezel.
    Is the SBDX003 a bit thinner as well? Looks a tad thinner from those pics.
    Anyway, I'd be happy to have either tbh and glad I do have one. I'd still love the 6159 as well though, especially one in fabulous condition like Duncan's.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Very nice, I've owned one for a while and will know doubt get another some day, just a pity it doesn't have Saphire crystal...
    Hi Steve, sorry I seemed to have missed your post earlier. Thanks :-)
    It is lovely and it's certainly got presence on the wrist. Re the Sapphire, I'm sure I've read somewhere that Seiko use a harder grade of Hardlex on their Prospex line of divers?
    Not sure if that is correct or not. They did go for Sapphire on their 1000m diver though. Ah well just hope I don't scratch it!

This is stunning! I have never noticed the red detail on the seconds hand before on these. Enjoy it in good health!

Blog Entries
    What can I add?

Good choice, lovely watch and I envy you :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

very handsome pix..mine is still laying untouched.

Love this....think it'll be the SBDX017 for me!

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    This is stunning! I have never noticed the red detail on the seconds hand before on these. Enjoy it in good health!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    What can I add?

Good choice, lovely watch and I envy you :)

Daddel.

Thanks guys :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    Love this....think it'll be the SBDX017 for me!
    Cheers, did you buy the one on SC?

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    very handsome pix..mine is still laying untouched.
    Why don't you wear it?

Out of interest, how is the timekeeping?

I like the watches but have a reservation about the accuracy as a Google search brings up quite a few forum posts suggesting it can be a bit out. It wouldn't normally bother me but the complication of not being easily regulated makes me cautious. Is it true that they aren't regulated before sale? They do look bloody marvellous though.

Steve

Having just read cannops website you can ignore most of that!

Steve

Cracking read (his blog), love reading through how he deals with the issues he finds.
    I was just going to reply to say mine appears to be keeping time to about +6 secs a day, which isn't too bad.
    However I'm not that bothered tbh as I will be wearing it in rotation so will be setting the time usually anyway.
    Also when it's up for a service the movement can be regulated more accurately if needed.
    Just enjoying wearing it atm.
    Last edited by Thorien; 4th September 2015 at 12:19.

Journeyman

What a lovely watch

Every time i see the MM makes me want to sell my watches and get it, and now that the new version has been released it is getting even worse...must ...resist...