closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Beans ~ Italy

Coffee Beans ~ Italy

Dear all,

A good friend is off to Italy. I have an Aeropess and a newly purchased Hario Grinder itching to be used. Are there any beans worth requesting her to bring back?

Regards

Ben

Most of the beans are available in the UK, Illy, Alvazza are both good.

David

Grand Master
    Nope, ALgerian Coffee Shop in Soho will cater for all your needs
    RIAC

Master
    Agree re the Algerian coffee shop in soho.

But as per my post on the thread do try Charlie mills coffee 'mountain king' and squire mile coffee co "red brick" IMO.

Hello

Thanks chaps, just thought it might be interesting seeing what was available there but i like the sound of The Algerian Coffee shop.

Any recommendations on strong coffee???

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Thanks chaps, just thought it might be interesting seeing what was available there but i like the sound of The Algerian Coffee shop.

Any recommendations on strong coffee???
    They have the lot, I love the Vietnamese which is both strong and sweet
    RIAC

I am again recommending Monmouth Coffee, they make fantastic coffee. You might want to try the "upside down" method with your Aeropress to brew the coffee longer to get a stronger filter-style coffee. If you like Italian style of coffee you should look for Robusta (blends).

Blog Entries
    Hi

if your friend goes near the Pantheon in central Rome, tell him to go to "La Tazza d'Oro" where they actually make you any mix you want from the 60-70 types of beans that they have on the wall of the shop, in dispensing columns. It is an amazing place, apart from having an extensive variety of beans that they have each toasted in three different ways.

The other coffe place which also toasts most varieties of coffe is "Sant' Eustachio Caffe'", also within 100m from the Pantheon.

In Florence, I would warmly recommend the "Manaresi caffe'" blends , which is right behind the Church of Orsanmichele.

BWs
    Franco
    Last edited by Franco; 26th August 2015 at 22:36.

Hello

Thanks very much all.

Regards

Ben

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Hi

if your friend goes near the Pantheon in central Rome, tell him to go to "La Tazza d'Oro" where they actually make you any mix you want from the 60-70 types of beans that they have on the wall of the shop, in dispensing columns. It is an amazing place, apart from having an extensive variety of beans that they have each toasted in three different ways.

The other coffe place which also toasts most varieties of coffe is "Sant' Eustachio Caffe'", also within 100m from the Pantheon.

In Florence, I would warmly recommend the "Manaresi caffe'" blends , which is right behind the Church of Orsanmichele.

BWs
    Franco
    Just imagining the smell of such a place makes me a bit giddy.

I'd recommend some Julius Meinl from Austria if you can find them, the president beans are very smooth and delicious

Journeyman
    Why don't you use the fresh roasted coffee? The most known Italian style of coffee is espresso, for which is better to use Arabic coffee. Fresh roasted, of course...

No good coffee is actually grown in Italy.

Never tried the Algerian place, but looks good. Monmouth get a +1 from me, they are excellent.

Avoid the bigger brands like illy, Lavazza, etc. They're geared more for businesses so their coffees are designed to cater to a wide range of people. Find something a bit more personal, you'll be grateful later. A good place to start is Kimbo's Double Cream if you want something nice and easily accessible.

Fresh roasted depends on how roasted. If its a light roast, its good to use within a couple weeks of roasting. Any darker though, you're best letting it sit around for 2-3 weeks before using. That is of course if you have your own grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Or Algeria!

Probably given this advice before, but the only way to work out what you like is to try stuff. This goes for Aeropress and the grinder. I've finally settled on a grind for Aeropress, but I keep my eye on it, as my (cheap-ish) grinder has a knack of slipping. Re beans, I've settled on a blend that's driven by a combination of accessibility, taste and cost. The former is important: the coffees I *really* like are transient in nature, so for an everyday cup, it's worth finding something that's easy to buy.

At the moment, I buy different roasted beans by the kilo, and blend myself, repacking into 250g vacuum packs (the size of a hopper). I save a bit of cash, and have a ready supply. When I want something special, I pop out and get it. No point having good (expensive) beans hanging around.

Re Aeropress, the inverted ("upside down") method referred to above is my go to approach to coffee. I really do think that "blooming" helps, but I'm probably wrong. I also use cooler water than many recipes state, but that's personal preference.

Aeropress recipes are bonkers. Weight of beans, size of grind, temp of water, length of bloom, temp of next water, number of stirs, length of time in the 'press, length of press, amount left in the 'press, type of filter, temp of cup. It's madness.

Hey ho.

Hello

Thanks all

My method re the Aeropress is a scoop of coffee, not quite a full one. Put it in the aeropress, boiling water left for a very short time, introduced to the aeropress, stir, wait for a short time then apply the plunger. I have not tried the inverted method yet but maybe i should.

Very good to see others like it though. Wished i'd got one years ago.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks all

My method re the Aeropress is a scoop of coffee, not quite a full one. Put it in the aeropress, boiling water left for a very short time, introduced to the aeropress, stir, wait for a short time then apply the plunger. I have not tried the inverted method yet but maybe i should.

Very good to see others like it though. Wished i'd got one years ago.

Regards,

Ben
    Insert plunger into the 'press. Invert so that it's sitting on the plunger, with the widest part of the press upwards [you may like to pre-warm the 'press at this point].

Place 'press on scales and zero.

Rinse filter and insert into cap. Set aside. Turn on kettle (filtered water, natch).

Grind 18g of coffee. Medium-fine, or as desired.

Pour coffee into 'press. Pour on c50g water at 92 degrees. Stir and let bloom for at least 45 seconds.

Pour on slightly cooler water to c200g total weight (one:ten ratio).

Stir 40 times, alternating clockwise and anticlockwise every ten stirs.

Leave to sit for 30 seconds.

Stir briskly and place cap onto 'press.

Invert over pre-warmed cup and depress over c20 seconds.

Top up with additional 50g water.

Drink. Enjoy.

Probably.

Hello

I had a quick go. Didn't scold myself or empty it all over the surrounding area. It tastes a little stronger than doing it the normal way so i will endeavour to try this method for a while and see how i get on.

Thanks for the detailed instructions though.

Some fresh coffee beans from the Algerian Coffee shop will be purchased soon, so should increase the taste factor.

Regards,

Ben

Almost all coffee available in Italy isn't that special, and is for espresso and moka pot use; I wouldn't waste any holiday time there on the off-chance that you'll find non-charred beans for Aeropress.

Especially not when you can get better quality fresher from one of the UK's many world-class roasteries.

Strongly recommend a visit to one of Castroni's shops across Rome, not just coffee - a wonderful selection of foods and drinks, a great shop!

http://www.castroni.it/

My post may have been a *little* tongue in cheek. But it's not *entirely* dissimilar to other "recipes" I've seen at, e.g. the World Aeropress Championships...

Probably.

Thanks for the detailed instructions though.

Regards,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    Just imagining the smell of such a place makes me a bit giddy.
    It sounds good in theory, but in practice, a room with 60-70 bins of (typically over-roasted and oily) beans going stale and rancid from months of air exposure doesn't tend to smell all that pleasant.

It's much nicer to give a bag of fresh, properly-sealed coffee beans a squeeze and have a hit straight off the one-way valve. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    It sounds good in theory, but in practice, a room with 60-70 bins of (typically over-roasted and oily) beans going stale and rancid from months of air exposure doesn't tend to smell all that pleasant.

It's much nicer to give a bag of fresh, properly-sealed coffee beans a squeeze and have a hit straight off the one-way valve. :)
    What a lot of bollocks. That place serves no less than 5000 coffees a day, plus hundreds of customers who go there just for the beans. Jars must be replenished probably more than once a day.

Sorry but coffee has been a national pleasure in Italy for some two hundred years or more, each town has two or three "torrefazioni" (small local coffee toasting places). Coffee quality is at least competitive with noveau-expert suppliers elsewhere, but it must be optimised for the ways of brewing coffee most used in Italy.
    Last edited by Franco; 27th August 2015 at 17:54.

^

The historic coffee culture in Italy is lovely and offers much to appreciate, but I don't find that the coffee itself — though it's typically quite decent — tends to be of exceptional quality.

Although I don't have any personal experience with Tazza D'Oro, I've yet to find a place with a comparable number of air-exposed bins that has truly excellent coffee. And even with a high sales volume, there are bound to be a few slower sellers among the several dozen that have gone a bit manky.

In any case, all I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't be too fussed about spending valuable holiday time in Italy on trying to hunt down high-grade beans for Aeropress use when they're so readily available at home. Just relax and enjoy the country and the café tradition. :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks, no need to relax. Just wanted to say that "months of exposure to air" is a concept wrong by a factor of many dozens of time.

And you are right, in Italy "aeroccino" and "cafetiere" as well as filter coffee are not much appreciated, hence no specific beans are stocked by coffee dealers and no specific toasting is provided

Hello

Many thanks for the opinions and suggestions.

Regrettably it is a friend going this time and not me but hopefully one day.

It was merely to get a rough idea of brands to keep an eye out for i was not suggesting for one minute that she should spend her holiday looking for coffee beans for me. One would hope there are far more interesting and exciting things to do than that. Especially there.

I hope you all have a good weekend.

Best regards to all.

Ben

A few links:

Hello

PickleB

Many thanks.

The Algerian Coffee Shop isn't too far away so i'll have a look there initially but will check out the others.

Regards,

Ben

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Fresh roasted depends on how roasted. If its a light roast, its good to use within a couple weeks of roasting. Any darker though, you're best letting it sit around for 2-3 weeks before using. That is of course if you have your own grinder.
    It is true... the fresh roasted coffee should be left 2-3 days, to eliminate the gases. The grinder is the very first item in the espresso business. Some says that is the most important from the 4 M's. ;)
    Last edited by kumm2004; 28th August 2015 at 22:11.

Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    It is true... the fresh roasted coffee should be left 2-3 days, to eliminate the gases. The grinder is the very first item in the espresso business. Some says that is the most important from the 4 M's. ;)
    The way I see it is if you don't own your own grinder, you shouldn't worry too much about the coffee you're using as a lot of the characteristics won't be noticeable unless its fresh ground. Oils dry out relatively quickly, and make up a lot of the texture and taste.

If you like Italian style beans , amazon were punting out the 1kg bags of lavazza crema e gusto for 8.81£ this week
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Hello

Seikopath,

Thanks for that will check it out/

Regards,

Ben

heads up - lavazza qualita rosso beans , now £10.12/kilo on amazon

Buy a gene cafe and green beans. Roast your own, twice the fun and flavor.

- - - Updated - - -

Buy a gene cafe and green beans. Roast your own, twice the fun and flavor.

Hello

Thanks all.

the delonghi burr grinder is now 22 quid on amazon - heads up

same price @ Tesco

All gone both places? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Have you got a link Dave, I had a quick search and could not find it unless the price has gone up?

Thanks,

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Have you got a link Dave, I had a quick search and could not find it unless the price has gone up?

Thanks,

Vince
    Can't link directly to it because of the way the pages are laid out, but if you search for it , its on sale for about 40 quid , on that page on the right there are options for other sellers selling the same product at different prices, the top of those options is Amazon's itself and they are doing it for 22 quid. Hope that makes sense ? I'm on the phone at the moment but if you're still having trouble I can find the link for you when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post

I know that there's at least one member on here who tries to avoid Amazon, so they might like to try John Lewis.

Then, according to what I've found on the net, the De’Longhi KG79 doesn't grind fine enough for espresso....unless you modify it. Here's an article: Hacking a dehlonghi coffee grinder.

But you might prefer the two step mod shown in this video:

That's what I'll be doing to mine

Can't link directly to it because of the way the pages are laid out, but if you search for it , its on sale for about 40 quid , on that page on the right there are options for other sellers selling the same product at different prices, the top of those options is Amazon's itself and they are doing it for 22 quid. Hope that makes sense ? I'm on the phone at the moment but if you're still having trouble I can find the link for you when I get home
    Thanks for the help Dave.. HAGWE!

When I looked it was £29.50...until this morning when it's £22.56: link.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    When I looked it was £29.50...until this morning when it's £22.56: link.

Now ordered! Glad I held off, it all helps. Thank you for the link..

^

I'd love to hear about your impressions after it arrives. I always recommend getting a burr grinder to anyone who's remotely interested in good coffee at home, and it's nice to have some choices that aren't industrial-sized. :)

^

I'd love to hear about your impressions after it arrives. I always recommend getting a burr grinder to anyone who's remotely interested in good coffee at home, and it's nice to have some choices that aren't industrial-sized. :)
    I have the bodum which is a midi sized, I've been fairly happy with it . you can't grind down to espresso dust but I don't use a traditional espresso machine anyway

I have the bodum which is a midi sized, I've been fairly happy with it . you can't grind down to espresso dust but I don't use a traditional espresso machine anyway
    I'm using a Mazzer Mini-E in the house, but that's probably overkill for nomal people. An espresso setup is a big commitment in space, money and maintenance, and it's difficult to get right even with good gear. Full-immersion methods are so much more user-friendly and I honestly prefer the taste most of the time, anyway.

I'm not too concerned about espresso grinds most of the time, and I figure anything's better than pre-ground or those whirly-blade herb choppers. Are you noticing a difference with fresh-ground?

I'm using a Mazzer Mini-E in the house, but that's probably overkill for nomal people. An espresso setup is a big commitment in space, money and maintenance, and it's difficult to get right even with good gear. Full-immersion methods are so much more user-friendly and I honestly prefer the taste most of the time, anyway.

I'm not too concerned about espresso grinds most of the time, and I figure anything's better than pre-ground or those whirly-blade herb choppers. Are you noticing a difference with fresh-ground?
    i haven't bought ready ground regularly for as long as i can remember . i only buy it if I'm travelling and i just have the french press with me.