closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audi Multitronic - experts and experience?

Master

Audi Multitronic - experts and experience?

Looking at changing the car in the next couple of months and would like to go for an auto. Vast majority of our driving is longer motorway or A road journeys and am getting bored of a manual in what is effectively a largish family load lugger for weekends and holidays. At the moment I'm looking at either an A4 or A6 avant, less than 4 years old, diesel (probably the 2.0 unit) and with lowish miles.

The internet is full of horror stories about Audi's multitronic box yet I cant seem to get a feel for whether this is limited to older generation boxes or whether it still affects the most recent cars.

Can anyone shed any light on this or offer some advice?

Many thanks

Blog Entries
    The older multi's in the A4 B6's were problematic but B8 A4's and C7's A6's have been fine with beefed up internals.

I had a new 59 plate 2.0tdi Multi which did have a fault which was sorted but it was not the reported issues just a random fault. I now have had my A6 Multi for a year and no probs, I really do like the box and would not hesitate to have another.

The latest 2.0TDI's now have the s tronic so the multi is now completely obsolete

MPG is always going to lower than book and the multi is nothing different. I do get between mid 40's and low 50's

Paul

Blog Entries
    I had 59 plate A6 with the multitronic without fault for the 2.5 years I had it.

Ideal car for smooth progress & cruising rather than spirited driving.

So If you're after a sporty feel it might not be ideal, but if you just want to get somewhere with the minimum fuss it makes for a very relaxing drive.

Which is good - as the 2.0 TDI 140 doesn't move the A6 very briskly ;)
    0-60 is about 10s and overtaking takes some planning.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 24th August 2015 at 19:13.

Master
    Older than your looking but I have an '06 A4 cab with multitronic box(with tiptronic wheel)
    It's hot 65k on now - the key is (so ive read) is to make sure the oils changed as spec which I beleive in every 40k
    Love it and it's had no problems

Master
    Thanks for the responses, really helpful.

I just looked up what B8 and C7 refers to and those are the models I would be looking at.

That said there seem to be some good prices on the end of line C6 (A6 avant) models too, (2010/11). Do they have a different multitronic box to the C7 and if so are they best avoided?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    If funds allow go for a C7 it is quite a step up from a C6 although it is a very capable car and absolutely bomb proof.

Master
    I have, from new in May 14, a 1.4 TFSi Q3 with S-tronic. Lovely car and the gear box is lovely. But the gearbox did go New Years Day coming back down the M1 from family. Had to be trailered home. Luckily Audi assist is ace so we had a brand new replacement the next day with ours delivered to the garage. Had to have a new box imported and fitted. Would have cost about £5k list to do that apparently. Would not have been so happy had it not all be warranty !!

Do you tow anything with your car? If so, I would stick with a manual.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had the Multi in my 2.7 TDI A5 from launch, fantastic continental touring car, but as said they had the new 7 plate system in which was a big step up from the earlier box, which did have quite a few problems. I think the change over was around 2008.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I have, from new in May 14, a 1.4 TFSi Q3 with S-tronic. Lovely car and the gear box is lovely. But the gearbox did go New Years Day coming back down the M1 from family. Had to be trailered home. Luckily Audi assist is ace so we had a brand new replacement the next day with ours delivered to the garage. Had to have a new box imported and fitted. Would have cost about £5k list to do that apparently. Would not have been so happy had it not all be warranty !!
    S-Tronic or DSG is very different from the Multitronic. The S-Tronic/DSG/PDK........ call it what you will, is basically a manual gearbox with two layshafts. Odd gears (1,3,5 & 7) on one shaft and the evens plus reverse on the other. The clever bit is the "mechatronic" which controls the gear changes, up or down by pre selecting via one of two clutches (hence the term Dual Clutch Gearbox) I have this set up in my car.

Multitronic is a version of the DAF derived "CVT" Gearbox (continuously variable transmission) and is (IMHO) best limited to milk floats and is loved by elderly Volvo drivers. My Wife had a Honda Jazz with CVT, it was a HONDA and that went wrong. 'Nuff said?