closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rubber(foot)wear - another crowd wisdom thread

Rubber(foot)wear - another crowd wisdom thread

From the number of shoe-related threads, your average WIS is as footwear-conscious as Imelda Marcos was...

So inviting some advice from the experts in the arcane science of wellington boots, can anyone recommend a preferred choice from the following ? :

1 - Aigle Parcours ISO http://www.aigle.com/en_uk/parcours-2-iso-938.html

2 - Le Chameau Vierzonord http://www.lechameau.com/gb/bottes-vierzonord.html

3 - Harkila forester http://harkila.com/en-gb/products/ru...m#.VdHjjnjAnIY

I know there'll be an expert out there...

My last pair of boots (BTR Bullseyes) were bought for me for my 20th birthday by my grandmother. 31 years later they're just on their way out.

I can't add anything, I'm afraid, as the nearest I get to rubber boots is a pair of short wellies I bought for avoiding the mud at a festival... Weirdly, however, I had a conversation about rubber boots over the weekend. Friends recommended Viking boots from Norway, due largely to the excellent neoprene lining and rugged sole. They seemed to be very cold weather boots tho - they'd been lent them on a trip to Antarctica and had been so impressed that they sought out a couple of pairs.

I've had a pair of Vierzonord for over 12 years now, worn Saturday and Sunday during winter and when required.

Good sole, very comfortable and warm for wellies. I had a pair of Hunter Originals and they were pretty pant, I use them as car wash boot now.

Another vote for the Vierzonord here. The neoprene can be warm, but they are otherwise superb. So supple I can drive in them.

Master
    I have a pair of £20ish Dunlops (with the ribbed toe) and they are the most comfy wellies I've had in years.

I'd thought that Hunter were the Wellies to have, but it seems that the original Scottish company went bust and they've been produced in China using a cheaper construction method since 2008. :|

Craftsman
    Have you considered Muck Boots? My current winter welly, summertime I use Ariats.

I avoid dirt at all cost, therefore saving myself a bucket load of cash buying wellies

When not wearing my Crocs I spend many an evening relaxing in my thigh length Dunlop rubber boots

Lovely and comfortable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I'd thought that Hunter were the Wellies to have, but it seems that the original Scottish company went bust and they've been produced in China using a cheaper construction method since 2008. :|
    Went to my local agri store to buy a pair of Hunters and was strongly advised by their Welly lady (they sell a lot of Wellies, mostly to farmers) to avoid Hunters for the reasons above.

I tried a few other brands and ended up with a pair of Bekina Steplite X and they are the best Wellies I've owned. The odd thing is I went for size 8 and I'm usually a 9 or 10 in shoes. Try before you buy, and think about some gel insoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    When not wearing my Crocs I spend many an evening relaxing in my thigh length Dunlop rubber boots

Lovely and comfortable

Funnily enough that brought back a memory!...Sold some fishing waders on ebay years ago, strange gentleman in London bought them, never heard a peep out of him, sometime later i clicked on his profile wandering if he was ever going to leave me feedback...and there he was in his undercrackers and my dusty waders now freshly cover in baby oil, with "gay fetish" in the listings title...he got alot more for them than me!...

Master
    Another vote for Le Chameau. I only tend to wear them in winter so the neoprene works for me. Mine are about 8yrs old and are still going strong.

Finally! Something I can actually help with. I'm a constant welly wearer for various tasks.

Think we need details of what you get up to because as some have said the neoprene can get a bit toasty on the hotter days.

If they are for mucking out or day long treks then an unlined or leather lined will be better suited, you can always add a pair of socks in the snow (it will be cold before you have to consider that ).

If its just walking the dog on rainy days or mucking about on the shoreline then neoprene lined will be comfy and cosy.

Don't assume because they're more expensive they're better for having an old bit of wetsuit inside them. By the same token the leather lined are really excellent from Le Chameau but are well past the point of diminishing returns unless your going to live in them. I think double the price of the neoprene. It's justified though, the finish is top notch and no other boot can come close, it's an iconic welly now .

Also consider a full length side zip depending on your uses (Chasseur from Le Chameau), makes getting them on and off a breeze and if it's one of those weird hot/wet days you can open them up and let that foot funk out! There's a good chance these will last til longer than your last pair and as none of us are getting any younger it's something to seriously consider.

You should really try them on first if possible, from what I recall the harkila rubbers are on the heavy side and can't comment on durability. I have no idea about parcours but I'm guessing they are for jumping in puddles on the roofs of Paris?

I have old Hunters that are still going strong but the new ones are utter pants and you'd be aswell with £30 wellies from b&q or sportsdirect.

My vote has to be Le Chameau, the smart choice for everyone from the Royal Family to Ray of Mears.

I have no connections, in fact I know someone who works at Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Finally! Something I can actually help with. I'm a constant welly wearer for various tasks.
    Very helpful - thanks.

Im not going to put the boots through too much grief - it'll be once a week and mainly in the winter - but I do want them for walking. The only aspect of the old Bullseyes was that they were heavy and uncomfortable for long walks, otherwise bombproof.

I think Im heading towards the Le Chameaus at this rate - the leather option is a lovely idea but the price for the zipped boot at £340 is a bit bonkers.

If you want them for walking, I would recommend the Aigle. I use mine for muddy but not desperately rough dog walks and they are super comfy.

PS Just seen that you are thinking of the neoprene lined ones. Mine don't have that but a friend's do and she says they can be too warm unless the temperature really dips. Worth bearing in mind.

I gave up on Hunters years ago. I've an ancient pair of Le Chameau which are just starting to perish through age. Also wear Aigle which are my my preferred wellies at the moment. I stick with those two makers.

Personally I favour the green ones with frog's eyes on them. Guaranteed to cheer you up on those sodden treks through the mire.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    From the number of shoe-related threads, your average WIS is as footwear-conscious as Imelda Marcos was...

So inviting some advice from the experts in the arcane science of wellington boots, can anyone recommend a preferred choice from the following ? :

1 - Aigle Parcours ISO http://www.aigle.com/en_uk/parcours-2-iso-938.html

2 - Le Chameau Vierzonord http://www.lechameau.com/gb/bottes-vierzonord.html

3 - Harkila forester http://harkila.com/en-gb/products/ru...m#.VdHjjnjAnIY

I know there'll be an expert out there...

My last pair of boots (BTR Bullseyes) were bought for me for my 20th birthday by my grandmother. 31 years later they're just on their way out.
    I've had a pair of Parcours ISOs for a couple of years now for out on site, light walking and he festival season and they are amazing... The fit is nice and tight around the ankle yet surprisingly spacious around the rest of the foot... Meaning I haven't become separated for my boots even in the really shitty stuff. The neoprene is amazingly warm and comfy... I would highly recommend them, however I haven't either of the others for comparison...

Hope this helps

Journeyman
    What are you wearing them for? Leisure, shooting... Cleaning out the horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Very helpful - thanks.

Im not going to put the boots through too much grief - it'll be once a week and mainly in the winter - but I do want them for walking. The only aspect of the old Bullseyes was that they were heavy and uncomfortable for long walks, otherwise bombproof.

I think Im heading towards the Le Chameaus at this rate - the leather option is a lovely idea but the price for the zipped boot at £340 is a bit bonkers.
    So the Vierznord is great choice for that then, very comfy for long walks.

Both Aigle and Harkila offer most of the same combinations of linings/zips etc so if you can find somewhere to try them you're laughing. I think only Le Chameau come with a 2 year guarantee which is reassuring.

Hard to comment on weight but often an ill fitting boot feels heavier as you are working harder for the same distance. Most of these weigh around 2.5kg a pair.

The Chasseurnord boot may be worth a looking at, neoprene lined with the zip so covers all the bases, although it is ~£50 more than you were looking at for a bloomin' zip (it is amazing how they don't leak even in running water). Depending on size can be had for £200-£240.

There is also a less practical but very comfy shearling lined for about the same pennies and a fur lined boot but that might have just been for the ladies .

I know on a site where people spend many thousands on multiple watches £200+ on a pair of wellies might not seem like a lot, But I have bought dry suits for less than that.

This is where I start to think I am possibly not the target demographic of this site.