closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A little competition for you gents (no prize available)

A little competition for you gents (no prize available)

Well not really a competition as I'm sure you'll guess which one is cheaper but it really boils my pizz! My eldest passed his test back in June and has been driving around in an old R plate Pug 106 since then. He has some inheritance coming to him in a few weeks and his intention is to replace the Pug with a new Fiesta.

So, the question is.....which is the cheaper to insure and by how much?

Firstly, I give you his old car (not the actual car) Peugeot 106 Look R reg, worth about £500 tops, about 60bhp ,the only way you'd get 70 out of it would be to push it off a cliff.

Or this..... 2015 model Ford Fiesta Zetec S Special Edition Red. 1.0ltr Turbo, 140 bhp, around 8 seconds 0-60. Literally every gadget you could think of apart from the self parking rubbish.This car is pre reg with 6 miles on the clock, new its £16950 however because it's a pre reg they want £13950 for a quick sale before end of August.

So cheapest to insure and by how much?
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 10th August 2015 at 23:50.

Fiesta cheaper by £200?.

Master
    The Fiesta has similar performance to the mk3 Golf GTI 16v I had many moons ago and the insurance for that at the time was frightening, even though I was in my mid 20's and the car wasn't particularly sporty compared to other cars at the time. But consider this, new Fiesta vs old 106 in a head on collision... Which driver do you think will be making a six figure claim because they are confined to a wheelchair for the rest of their life and which one will walk away?

Here's another one, in 1992 I knew a 42 year old guy paying 1k insurance for a mk2 Golf GTI 16v (I was paying the same at the time as a 19 year old on a 1.0L Renault 5) . He wanted a Sierra Cosworth but that was 2.5k to insure so chose the VW. Fast forward to today and I'm now the 42 year old guy but I have a modified Mitsubishi Evo which is about £400 to insure FC with all mods declared. Performance wise it will destroy a standard Cossie everywhere but I guess that the Ins Co's recognise how cars have evolved over the years. Things such as crumple zones, airbags, and the fact that it takes more than a screwdriver to steal a modern car.

Its still tough for new drivers these days but when you consider performance vs safety vs price inflation they've never had it so good.
    Last edited by Dynam0humm; 11th August 2015 at 02:20.

I'm currently researching first cars and insurance for my son, and concluded that as cheap older hatchbacks are more frequently crashed by teenagers their insurance is completely disproportionate to their performance or value. Whereas very few young drivers own new or nearly new cars, so insurance company statistics don't show much evidence of them being thrown into the scenery, or other solid objects.

I reckon that the Fiesta will be cheaper, by around £500.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I'm currently researching first cars and insurance for my son, and concluded that as cheap older hatchbacks are more frequently crashed by teenagers their insurance is completely disproportionate to their performance or value. Whereas very few young drivers own new or nearly new cars, so insurance company statistics don't show much evidence of them being thrown into the scenery, or other solid objects.

I reckon that the Fiesta will be cheaper, by around £500.
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Fiesta cheaper by £200?.
    You're both kind of in the middle, The Fiesta is cheaper by around £300

They want £1079 to insure the Fiesta for the year but the lad paid about £1400 for the Pug which is bonkers.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 11th August 2015 at 07:27.

Master
    As an aside, that Fiesta is a damn good looking car for anyone let alone a teenager. Good price too. Jammy!

Lucky lad! Im sure he will have fun.....

( I don't want to sound all old duffer, but I know what I would have been like at that age with a car with that much performance, especially after driving the Peugeot ....)

Master
    13k for a Fiesta? 140bhp out of a 1.0l engine?

*faints

New car will be cheaper to insure is my guess.

Master
    Why is he blowing his inheritance on something that will depreciate by 10k in 5 years (more if he has the almost inevitable first two years of driving knock). Keep the Pug and stick the inheritance in unit trusts of whatever until he needs a deposit for a house.

Or if he wants a slightly nicer car blow 4k not £14k. Plenty of nice motors out there for £4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Why is he blowing his inheritance on something that will depreciate by 10k in 5 years (more if he has the almost inevitable first two years of driving knock). Keep the Pug and stick the inheritance in unit trusts of whatever until he needs a deposit for a house.

Or if he wants a slightly nicer car blow 4k not £14k. Plenty of nice motors out there for £4k.
    Yeh I get you and I've had the same conversations with him, the wife and the grandparents. there is a very long story behind the funding and to be honest it's not really inheritance. Being very selfish we want him to spend the money on himself and blow it on something he wants. We've gone through investment, savings etc and he would still be putting close to £10k in to an account afterwards. He'll have a reliable safe car for a few years which should hold a decent amount when he comes to sell it-bearing in mind he's just saved 3k off the list price.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    13k for a Fiesta? 140bhp out of a 1.0l engine?

*faints

New car will be cheaper to insure is my guess.
    Yeh, apparently (According to the Ford website) it's has the highest BHP for a 1ltr engined car which is currently on the market, 3 cylinder Turbo with optimised injection, ecoboost, which gives it it's BHP.
    By all accounts they put this engine in the Mondeo?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Lucky lad! Im sure he will have fun.....

( I don't want to sound all old duffer, but I know what I would have been like at that age with a car with that much performance, especially after driving the Peugeot ....)
    He'll have the telemetry box fitted so if he drives like a prick his premium wil go through the roof. In all fairness to him he's very quiet lad and I'm sure he'll be fine however, it's on his shoulders-they all have to learn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Yeh I get you and I've had the same conversations with him, the wife and the grandparents. there is a very long story behind the funding and to be honest it's not really inheritance. Being very selfish we want him to spend the money on himself and blow it on something he wants. We've gone through investment, savings etc and he would still be putting close to £10k in to an account afterwards. He'll have a reliable safe car for a few years which should hold a decent amount when he comes to sell it-bearing in mind he's just saved 3k off the list price.
    Fair enough :)

You are probably aware but this will help with the insurance and k

https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus/overview

My daughter wanted a ford Ka on passing her test. The higher specced models were cheaper to insure than the basic one.
    I'm certain it's down to the relative numbers of youngsters in the low spec one compared to older folk in the higher specs.

She now has a Fiesta 1.0l eco boost but only the 120hp version. They really are a nice, safe and economical car and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Fair enough :)

You are probably aware but this will help with the insurance and k

https://www.gov.uk/pass-plus/overview
    Aware of it yes but not really looked in to it......thanks for that.

Master
    "and keep him safer" was how my post was supposed to end.

I've been looking at exactly that fiesta as a second car (we are moving out to the sticks) - the 1 litre ecoboost engines get rave reviews. Actually tempted by an ST - but that rather gives away my Essex roots!! -

Yeh, apparently (According to the Ford website) it's has the highest BHP for a 1ltr engined car which is currently on the market, 3 cylinder Turbo with optimised injection, ecoboost, which gives it it's BHP.
    By all accounts they put this engine in the Mondeo?
    the 1.0 Eccoboost has to be the cleverest engine developed in the last 20 years, I am told it can reliably make 220 BHP

Master
    When I got my first car in the 90's my insurance was exactly the same as my rich friends, he had a brand new equivalent of my 15yr old banger.

Back then insurance companys would still talk to you & explained it to me as simple statistics.

Whilst the banger was cheaper to fix &/or cheaper to write off, it was also, more likely to be crashed or stolen & any injuries were likely to be worse.

The jammy little git got lucky.....the car was simply registered to meet month end targets but hasn't even been pdi'd yet. It's still in its protective wrapping!!

FFF

Master
    The jammy little git got lucky.....the car was simply registered to meet month end targets but hasn't even been pdi'd yet. It's still in its protective wrapping!!

FFF
    Sounds like it is your parental duty to run it in for him. It is really important that brand new cars are run in by someone with a few hundred thousand miles of driving experience under their belt. Obviously.

Journeyman
    I personally think he should buy something cheaper until he has learned how to drive properly................such a waste of inheritance otherwise :)

Quote Originally Posted by jdragon View Post
    I personally think he should buy something cheaper until he has learned how to drive properly................such a waste of inheritance otherwise :)
    Too late, she's sat on the drive

Journeyman
    Too late, she's sat on the drive
    I might get flamed for this but what was your logic behind letting him blow 14k on what I consider to be a potential death trap? I have a son (no where near driving age thankfully) so I am genuinely interested to understand your thought process.
    Last edited by jdragon; 10th September 2015 at 21:10.

I might get flamed for this but what was your logic behind letting him blow 14k on what I consider to be a potential death trap? I have a son (no where near driving age thankfully) so I am genuinely interested to understand your thought process.
    Well, firstly, it's his money....without going in to detail the money is for him to do with what he wishes, I'm not dictating to him at 18 what he does with his money. As per my reply to another member we're being quite selfish and have no issue on him blowing it on himself.

Secondly, his previous car was a 1997 Pug 106 with no pas, abs, airbags etc, this has virtually every safety gadget known to man. It has 3 yrs warranty which includes assistance, it's incredibly cheap to run and insure and it's going to be reliable. He saved almost £3000 off list price and in 3 yrs time he should still be able to sell the vehicle for circa £9000.

To me it's a no brainer to have my son driving around in a car that's both safe, reliable and cheap to run and maintain.

Journeyman
    Well, firstly, it's his money....without going in to detail the money is for him to do with what he wishes, I'm not dictating to him at 18 what he does with his money. As per my reply to another member we're being quite selfish and have no issue on him blowing it on himself.

Secondly, his previous car was a 1997 Pug 106 with no pas, abs, airbags etc, this has virtually every safety gadget known to man. It has 3 yrs warranty which includes assistance, it's incredibly cheap to run and insure and it's going to be reliable. He saved almost £3000 off list price and in 3 yrs time he should still be able to sell the vehicle for circa £9000.

To me it's a no brainer to have my son driving around in a car that's both safe, reliable and cheap to run and maintain.
    Thanks for your reply - it's definitely and interesting perspective.

I understand dictating is not a good thing to do from my own experience growing up. Does he live at home with you?

"Going to be reliable" is a pretty bold statement but it's beside the point. My cousin was in a position to buy a few year old sporty Fiesta after having his license for only a few months, and within a few months it was written off in a head on collision, which was his fault. He walked without a scratch but the other driver ended up in a wheel chair, though I'm not sure if she remained that way.

I can't help thinking he could have got the same amount of safety, in a car that was a bit slower and less likely to make him want to thrash it everywhere, for his own sake and everyone else's. But that's just my opinion and I'll leave it there :)
    Last edited by jdragon; 10th September 2015 at 21:58.

Thanks for your reply - it's definitely and interesting perspective.

As a parent, I understand dictating is not a good thing to do from my own experience. Does he live at home with you?

"Going to be reliable" is a pretty bold statement but it's beside the point. My cousin was in a position to buy a few year old sporty Fiesta after having his license for only a few months, and within a few months it was written off in a head on collision, which was his fault. He walked without a scratch but the other driver ended up in a wheel chair, though I'm not sure if she remained that way.

I can't help thinking he could have got the same amount of safety, in a car that was a bit slower and less likely to make him want to thrash it everywhere, for his own sake and everyone else's. But that's just my opinion and I'll leave it there :)
    Yeh he does still live at home with us currently and probably for a while longer and at 18 he's capable of making his own choices-making mistakes (if it should be one) and learning from them is an essential part of the growing up process. My "going to be reliable" statement however bold is based mainly on the fact its essentially brand new and has 3 yrs warranty, I've been in the motor trade for nearing 30 years and would be the first to admit that a new car is no guarantee of reliability but later Ford models have proved to be just that even more so over the years so Im confident it will be a good car for him.

I have no issue with him driving a more powerful vehicle, he is a very careful lad who wouldn't generally say boo to a goose, it's not his style to thrash around the streets with his music blaring. It's fitted with a insurance box which he gets regular updates with....if he drives like a prick it goes up significantly, if he drives likes Miss Daisy it goes down....it's in his hands!

His capacity to be able to hurt himself or others exists in any vehicle, he could drive like a prick in a 1.0ltr Picanto and wipe out a bus shelter full of pensioner...just because he has a more powerful vehicle doesn't mean he'll end up doing it.

You're probably right, he could of chosen another vehicle with less bhp with the same safety features but he has the cash, it was cheaper to insure and hes 18.....tbh I would probably be doing the same thing if I was in his shoes.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 10th September 2015 at 22:26.

Master
    Interesting parallels with my 18 y/o son who has just bought his second car. My son also has an inheritance (although not enough to buy a new car) and he wanted to spend it on a more expensive car. We discussed this in detail and I gave him my opinion that he should go for something more modest and save the money for later. He agreed and he loves his "new" Fiesta.

One difference though. My son put his first car on its side in a ditch going too fast around an S bend. He was unhurt, the car was dented on most panels but still driveable and it would have cost more than it was worth to fix and it will now be scrapped. Lesson learned the hard way but fortunately in a <£500 car.

Edit. The "crash" happened at 40mph, he thought he didn't need to slow down and clipped the verge.
    Last edited by Gurmot; 11th September 2015 at 07:35.

[QUOTE]I can't help thinking he could have got the same amount of safety, in a car that was a bit slower and less likely to make him want to thrash it everywhere,[/QUOTE]
    There is also a train of thought that says it may be safer to drive a fast car fast but well within its limits than a slow one fast buy beyond its capabilities. Generally speaking i would say if a 18 year old lad wants to drive fast they will do it regardless of the car, a slow one will not make it less likely to want to do so.
    Its a tricky one really, I know what I was like at 18! I hope my sons are not like I was but its probable.
    If and when I get my kids a car ( and Im paying for it ) I will insist on a dash cam that is subject to spot checks

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    There is also a train of thought that says it may be safer to drive a fast car fast but well within its limits than a slow one fast buy beyond its capabilities. Generally speaking i would say if a 18 year old lad wants to drive fast they will do it regardless of the car, a slow one will not make it less likely to want to do so.
    Its a tricky one really, I know what I was like at 18! I hope my sons are not like I was but its probable.
    If and when I get my kids a car ( and Im paying for it ) I will insist on a dash cam that is subject to spot checks
    I think that concept is actually 'driving a fast car is safer than driving a slow car fast', because you do not try to maintain momentum in a fast car because getting back up to speed is easier when compared to a slow car. This however is precisely the problem - a fast car increases the likelihood of a young inexperienced driver, who takes risks, to cause an accident (like my cousin did) that could potentially ruin his life and someone else's because he misjudged distance/whatever........all the safety features in the world cannot account for every act of stupidity hence why there are deaths on the roads :)

Ha, dash cam's are becoming very popular - a few guys at work have them for driving on the notorious A14 and M11.
    Last edited by jdragon; 11th September 2015 at 12:48.

I think that concept is actually 'driving a fast car is safer than driving a slow car fast', because you do not try to maintain momentum in a fast car because getting back up to speed is easier when compared to a slow car. This however is precisely the problem - a fast car increases the likelihood of a young inexperienced driver, who takes risks, to cause an accident (like my cousin did) that could potentially ruin his life and someone else's because he misjudged distance/whatever........all the safety features in the world cannot account for every act of stupidity hence why there are deaths on the roads :)

Ha, dash cam's are becoming very popular - a few guys at work have them for driving on the notorious A14 and M11.
    Don't you think thought that most modern day cars now even with small engines are capable of speeds well in excess of the speed limit. A lot of small cars are 80-100 bhp so my sons isn't a huge jump up from this.
    You would think by the way your carrying on he has some 350bhp Barryed up Evo or Suraru.

Journeyman
    Don't you think thought that most modern day cars now even with small engines are capable of speeds well in excess of the speed limit. A lot of small cars are 80-100 bhp so my sons isn't a huge jump up from this.
    You would think by the way your carrying on he has some 350bhp Barryed up Evo or Suraru.
    I'm not carrying on, we are having a conversation (albeit on the internet) so please don't make this personal.

If you are susceptible to being easily offended by opinions that differ from yours, perhaps you should post more carefully? :) (no offence intended hence the smiley face).
    Last edited by jdragon; 11th September 2015 at 18:14.

Good luck to your son.
    The comment about 70 mph in the pug made me smile, ( the only way you'd get 70 out of it would be to push it off a cliff.).

I'm not carrying on, we are having a conversation (albeit on the internet) so please don't make this personal.

If you are susceptible to being easily offended by opinions that differ from yours, perhaps you should post more carefully? :) (no offence intended hence the smiley face).
    Make it personal....what are you talking about?

It's a Ford Fiesta 1.0 ltr which just happens to have a turbo with 138bhp. It isn't a 500bhp Nissan GT-R I've let him unleash on to the public.

Teenagers get bad press and sometimes justifiably so but just sometimes theyre not all the same.
    interesting to find out why you think I should post more carefully......in your opinion you seem to think that my decision was clearly incorrect. Who are you to say what's right and wrong?

As for being offended ...far from the truth, however you seem to be a little jumpy based on me saying you were carrying on......I feel it might be you who's a little easily offended, no offence-smiley face:-)

Journeyman
    Make it personal....what are you talking about?

It's a Ford Fiesta 1.0 ltr which just happens to have a turbo with 138bhp. It isn't a 500bhp Nissan GT-R I've let him unleash on to the public.

Teenagers get bad press and sometimes justifiably so but just sometimes theyre not all the same.
    interesting to find out why you think I should post more carefully......in your opinion you seem to think that my decision was clearly incorrect. Who are you to say what's right and wrong?

As for being offended ...far from the truth, however you seem to be a little jumpy based on me saying you were carrying on......I feel it might be you who's a little easily offended, no offence-smiley face:-)
    Or maybe a 602BHP Audi R8 5.2 V10 FSI Quattro????

Making it personal by suggesting I'm carrying on, when I did actually say in my previous post I'm interested to know why you supported his decision. As I've already mentioned, I have a young son and when he grows up he will no doubt want a car etc. and I will need to help/guide him to make decisions. Knowing I'm not always right, I saw an opportunity to get some insight into why you made a decision I feel I probably would not have.

In my opinion, you were being defensive from the outset and I can only assume it was because my post did not follow the trend of others in this thread, and despite my efforts to assure you I wasn't judging you, you clearly think I am. It has nothing to do with right or wrong. Perhaps that says more about you than it does me because I couldn't care less if a decision I made was being questioned.

No, I am not easily offended, especially not by someone on the internet who cannot accept being asked why they made a decision about something they were more than happy to tell the whole of TZ about. And facetious comments like that do nothing for your integrity.

I have no interest in anything else you have to say because you clearly just wanted to brag, and have no real interest in anything else that does not supports this.

Or maybe a 602BHP Audi R8 5.2 V10 FSI Quattro????

Making it personal by suggesting I'm carrying on, when I did actually say in my previous post I'm interested to know why you supported his decision. As I've already mentioned, I have a young son and when he grows up he will no doubt want a car etc. and I will need to help/guide him to make decisions. Knowing I'm not always right, I saw an opportunity to get some insight into why you made a decision I feel I probably would not have.

In my opinion, you were being defensive from the outset and I can only assume it was because my post did not follow the trend of others in this thread, and despite my efforts to assure you I wasn't judging you, you clearly think I am. It has nothing to do with right or wrong. Perhaps that says more about you than it does me because I couldn't care less if a decision I made was being questioned.

No, I am not easily offended, especially not by someone on the internet who cannot accept being asked why they made a decision about something they were more than happy to tell the whole of TZ about. And facetious comments like that do nothing for your integrity.

I have no interest in anything else you have to say because you clearly just wanted to brag, and have no real interest in anything else that does not supports this.
    What the hell are you talking about.

Your first post was asking why I allowed my son to blow 14k on a car that you thought was a death trap. You clearly thought the question a bit risky as you believed you might get flamed for it.

Since then I've given you reason behind why I let my son do this. On balance I, as his father, saw no reason why he shouldn't have. Despite that you seem to think that my decision was wrong because he'll probably wrap it around a lamp post, because I've clearly let him buy something that he shouldn't based on its bhp and your cousin doing something similar.

I've never once bragged about anything......by any chance, do you like Accutrons?

What is it just recently on here where people are always quick to judge how others spend their own money?

Craftsman
    When I was 18 my mate Harry "borrowed" his mums 6 month old 968 and crashed it into the village duck pond...

No more to say on the issues. Hope your lad enjoys the car, i loved buying my 1st car.

Master
    I just bought my daughter a 2015 Ford Fiesta sedan for commuting to college. It is not the turbo version but none the less is quite peppy and accelerates fast. Not here to defend Franky Four Fingers but the car has an overall four star crash rating and has air bags in the roof which is more than I can say about cars from my youth.

This is the window sticker from the Fiesta I bought hardly a death trap. jdragon what car isn't fast today and what car do you intend to buy your son a Barbie toy car?

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    I just bought my daughter a 2015 Ford Fiesta sedan for commuting to college. It is not the turbo version but none the less is quite peppy and accelerates fast. Not here to defend Franky Four Fingers but the car has an overall four star crash rating and has air bags in the roof which is more than I can say about cars from my youth.

This is the window sticker from the Fiesta I bought hardly a death trap. jdragon what car isn't fast today and what car do you intend to buy your son a Barbie toy car?
    Does it have the 1.0ltr ecoboost engine because if so I think they're all turbo charged- and if it's the less powered version I stil think you're talking 120+ bhp.

Master
    Does it have the 1.0ltr ecoboost engine because if so I think they're all turbo charged- and if it's the less powered version I stil think you're talking 120+ bhp.
    Not sure but I am going to check now that you say that. I took the car for a test drive a couple of times before buying and I was really impressed with it overall and I think it was a good purchase as well.