closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Sumo

Seiko Sumo

I have been looking at the Seiko Sumo now for quite a while and am close to pulling the trigger, my concern is the strap being very narrow and looking silly on this watch. Also how would I get a sapphire crystal fitted. I welcome any opinions on this watch to help me decide.

Thanks
    Steve

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    I think the bracelet is fine but know what you mean. I picked up my second recently and do like them a lot. GVFM IMHO

Not sure if these help

Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master
    I felt the same before i bought mine. I decided i could always replace the bracelet with a 22 mm if i needed to. I have tried it on a 22mm anvil and super oyster but i have to say i now think the original bracelet looks better.

Master
    It depends on your wrist size I guess.

I have small wrists so I quite liked the slim taper on the blue dial version I had.

Without doubt one of the best watches I have ever owned, go for it, you won't regret it.

Right up there with Omega in quality terms I would say.

Master
    I thought the original bracelet looked too narrow so I replaced it with a Di-Modell Chronissimo...

Thanks guys, those pictures make it look lovely, how is the timekeeping on this 6R15 movement?

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    how is the timekeeping on this 6R15 movement?
    good.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    good.
    Thanks all, I am going for it. £272 on amazon using 20% off voucher seems a good price.

Master
    Thanks all, I am going for it. £272 on amazon using 20% off voucher seems a good price.
    Thats a good price. Do you know where they ship from? You might incure import charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    I thought the original bracelet looked too narrow so I replaced it with a Di-Modell Chronissimo...

looks very good on that
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Thats a good price. Do you know where they ship from? You might incure import charges.
    Sold direct by Amazon so no import duty

theres someone on eBay selling them for 270, says he is uk based

Master
    i've had both black and blue sumo's and have large wrists and the bracelt looked fine to me. i wouldn't bother swapping the hardlex for saphire either, its just as good IMO if not better in some respects.

Quote Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
    i've had both black and blue sumo's and have large wrists and the bracelt looked fine to me. i wouldn't bother swapping the hardlex for saphire either, its just as good IMO if not better in some respects.
    exactly, i dont see the point of going for sapphire either

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    theres someone on eBay selling them for 270, says he is uk based
    The black one on amazon for this price gives me piece of mind, any problems and Amazon service is second to none.

That's quite a steal! Creation has them at £332 currently.

Got to be a bargain at that price. The 20mm bracelet was fine for me though I would recommend the Anvil bracelet from Yobokies for a different look, you can get these in 22 or 20mm, I had one for my orange Sumo though I stuck to the 20mm width and it looked great. Never had a problem with the lack of sapphire either and I owned all three main colours of this watch at the same time for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    Got to be a bargain at that price. The 20mm bracelet was fine for me though I would recommend the Anvil bracelet from Yobokies for a different look, you can get these in 22 or 20mm, I had one for my orange Sumo though I stuck to the 20mm width and it looked great. Never had a problem with the lack of sapphire either and I owned all three main colours of this watch at the same time for a while.
    Great stuff, now for the wait.

Master
    I picked one up for eBay for £280ish. Had it on now for 2 weeks, timekeeping is excellent. Just swapped it off the bracelet and onto a black nato. I don't think you can go wrong at the price point, go for it!

Craftsman
    I felt the same before i bought mine. I decided i could always replace the bracelet with a 22 mm if i needed to. I have tried it on a 22mm anvil and super oyster but i have to say i now think the original bracelet looks better.
    Might be a stupid question, but if the lug width is 20mm how do you fit a 22mm bracelet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Might be a stupid question, but if the lug width is 20mm how do you fit a 22mm bracelet?
    Yobokies will supply a 22mm bracelet with 20mm end links. The bracelet flares out slightly wider than the end linK if that makes sense.

I have a blue face and a black face. While there are some great elements here, for me it is less than sum of its parts.
    Hate the bezel font in particular. With some tweaks,I think it could be a great watch. But, I am in minority as it is pretty much universally well regarded.
    I think sapphire crystal is a good idea as there is no way the hardlex is as good or better. Hardlex is serviceable. But, that's about it.
    I agree about the 20 mm bracelet. Doesn't gel with case shape and size.
    A nato might work well.

....well I like mine and, having read all about the case size/end link/bracelet issue I can safely say, IMHO, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I really should wear it more than I do, but the that goes for most of the collection.

Craftsman
    Yobokies will supply a 22mm bracelet with 20mm end links. The bracelet flares out slightly wider than the end linK if that makes sense.
    Ah....I see, makes sense. Thanks for that.

Thanks everyone for their input, appreciated.

Steve

Craftsman
    Have the Blumo which is great VFM. Always thought the thinner strap to head dimensions suited the watch. I always wear it on Natos, but fancy a thin rubber Bonetto Cinturini 298.

I've got a baby tuna on a 22mm bracket and the blumo on std 20mm and they both look great Imho. I actually think the narrower strap makes the watch look a bit better. Looks good on a nato too. Build quality is amazing too.

Thanks for the heads up on this, you have to sign up for a newsletter to get the voucher code, 20% off a sumo is a steal

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this, you have to sign up for a newsletter to get the voucher code, 20% off a sumo is a steal
    If you go through topcashback there should be another 5% off

If you go through topcashback there should be another 5% off
    Even better, ta!

Master
    I thought the 20mm would look odd but when on the wrist it was perfect for me. Suited the watch well. Only downside for me was that the sumo was such a large watch, wasn't really prepared for that. Often I find watches smaller than I thought but in this case it was a bit bigger. Otherwise quite fun and great lugs so no risc for lug overhang etc. even on smaller wrist. I had the one in orange that I got ultra cheap, will probably try a black/blue one day to.

Here's on a rubber:

Craftsman
    Can't find Sumos for anywhere near £300 on Amazon. What am I missing?

"... strap being very narrow and looking silly on this watch...."

never had any feeling for this and no one seems to say anything for their Rolex

Craftsman
    Loved the sumo when I owned it, sorry I flipped it.

I think a lot of people who complain about the 20mm lugs are basing their opinions on specs or pictures and have never tried one on. The watch wears very comfortable and the 20mm bracelet supports the watch quite well.

I swapped back n forth between the original the the 22mm anvil, both make the watch wear differently.

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    Can't find Sumos for anywhere near £300 on Amazon. What am I missing?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Analog...rds=seiko+sumo

Last one even cheaper, you need to log in to your account and sign up for the clothing discount code, this will be emailed to you. Apply the code during checkout should bring this down to around £260. If you also go through topcashback you may get some cashback

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=1597067031
    Last edited by stevecross; 8th August 2015 at 07:58.