closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any decent watch shops in Bali?

Master

Any decent watch shops in Bali?

I am off to Bali in a couple of weeks and will have a few days to myself whilst the other half is on a work related course.

I'm going to be spending a couple of days doing the practical side of the PADI Open Water Divers course (and actually using one of my diving watches for what it was intended!) but was wondering if there are any decent watch shops out there that are worth checking out?

Thanks

Ben

The only watches I saw out there were 'looky looky, cheap cheap, only $30' which I actually thought was a bit steep! Even the airport was selling them!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    The only watches I saw out there were 'looky looky, cheap cheap, only $30' which I actually thought was a bit steep! Even the airport was selling them!!
    Agree with dougair, not seen a proper watch shop in Bali and the fakes were really rubbish, didn't even resemble the watch they were meant to copy which made them even more funny!

Master
    Maybe I'll bring a few back - I hear they are popular around these parts...

Wonder how fake watches are allowed to be sold in Bali airport, can't imagine that happening in Heathrow or Gatwick ?

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Wonder how fake watches are allowed to be sold in Bali airport, can't imagine that happening in Heathrow or Gatwick ?
    From experience Bali airport is nothing like Gatwick or Heathrow...or any airport I've been to. A developing world regional airport which resembles a covered street market you might find in any number of Asian countries. Also counterfeit goods were / are prolific there. I lost count of the number of 'Paul Smith boutiques' we passed! Going from there to HK's new international airport was a stark contrast!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    From experience Bali airport is nothing like Gatwick or Heathrow...or any airport I've been to. A developing world regional airport which resembles a covered street market you might find in any number of Asian countries. Also counterfeit goods were / are prolific there. I lost count of the number of 'Paul Smith boutiques' we passed! Going from there to HK's new international airport was a stark contrast!

As an aside Bali is beautiful! Can thoroughly recommend Ubud!

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside Bali is beautiful! Can thoroughly recommend Ubud!
    Monkey road!

Visit the north, much more interesting than the beaches and disco's!

Journeyman
    There's a shopping mall beside the Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel that has a few watch shops selling various brands (I was interested in Orient,Seiko, and Hamilton and they had these, but I can't recall what else they were selling) - I wasn't wowed by the prices.

They were cheaper than what I'd have paid in Dublin, but the price differentials weren't decent enough to give me the warm fuzzies.

Airport was a dead loss.

Journeyman
    .....and as others have said, the north of the island is much more chilled than Kuta.

While there I dived on the USS Liberty wreck at Tulamben - a good afternoon out!

Another piece of advice: if you have time, go to Lombok, spend a night or two at the Puri Mas Beach resort (owned by a Dutch guy, very friendly) and relax over there. You can visit his private zoo at Puri Mas Village, 10 min drive.

Then continue to the Gili Islands to dive!
    You'll love it!

As to watches: the only decent stuff I saw was around my own wrist, only very cheap plastic watches on the locals and most tourists didn't seem to wear a watch.

Master
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. We are actually based in North Kuta for the first 5 nights, simply because that is where Anna's course is, although my PADI course takes me to Tulamben for one night. we are also planning to do the hike up Mount Agung. After that we move on to Lombok and the Gili Islands before returning to the Hanging Gardens in Ubud.

Never did Agung, but the Rinjani trekking on Lombok is highly recommended. It's a hard climb (hairpins? Who needs 'em) but the reward is breathtaking. One of the best views I have ever witnessed. I must admit, that the volcano in the crater lake (!) was active at the time which was even more special. But it's stunning either way!

Not my own picture btw
    Last edited by Eddy C.; 7th August 2015 at 14:07.

I've just returned from two weeks in Bali and thankfully the airport re-opened the day we departed Singapore and then closed a few days after we returned to England. Saying that we would have happily got stuck there as we stayed at the Samaya in Seminyak which is absolutely amazing.

The reference to the airport being a covered market used to be true and was like that when I was last there in 2011, thankfully they now have an all new airport with some decent shops and air conditioning.

Where are you flying into before Bali, KL or Singapore Changi? If the latter terminal 1 has a shop which sells various decent brands including IWC, Omega, Rolex and Terminal 3 has a Rolex boutique. Prices in Singapore airport seemed quite good but they didn't have what I was after nor the 34mm Rolex that my other half wanted.

I flew from Heathrow T5 and again the selection of Rolexs was pretty decent but they didn't have the James Camerson DSSD that I was after as they'd just sold it....price was circa £6,500 for anyone interested.

Enjoy Bali, it's our favourite holiday destination and changes every time we're there.

I too took a divers watch but didn't venture any further than knee deep in the sea

Last edited by Alex L; 7th August 2015 at 17:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy C. View Post
    Never did Agung, but the Rinjani trekking on Lombok is highly recommended. It's a hard climb (hairpins? Who needs 'em) but the reward is breathtaking. One of the best views I have ever witnessed. I must admit, that the volcano in the crater lake (!) was active at the time which was even more special. But it's stunning either way!

Not my own picture btw
    Very true! We did it in '12 and it was hot back then. The view is great.

There is also the option to drive around the island and see several wells, waterfalls and some old mosques etc.
    Loads of monkeys btw.