closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai crown guard

Panerai crown guard

I am interested to know how much of an annoyance, irritation, or obstacle the crown guard on a Pan is. I'm guessing almost everybody will say it isn't, I'm not looking to be negative, but I have had watches before with big crowns that dug into the back of my hand and ruined the ownership expierence. Or should I just look for a lefty so to speak. I am particularly interested in a white dial one, but the sandwich dial models are a consideration also

I've had 2 pams and it never bothered me but I have heard people say it bothered them,everyone's different I suppose,leftys look wrong to me

Grand Master
    12 years in them, never an issue
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I've had 2 pams and it never bothered me but I have heard people say it bothered them,everyone's different I suppose,leftys look wrong to me
    I know what you mean, just got a left crown ecozilla and it just doesn't look right. I suppose it's just a case of go for it really

It's you wanting the white dial thats the issue here- not the crown guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    It's you wanting the white dial thats the issue here- not the crown guard.
    I'm quite taken with the white dials, they do seem cheaper than all the others, is it because of the colour?

The crown guard puts me right off, so much so that I've never been tempted to try a Pam, as has been said everyone is different.

Not an issue.At all.

No issue at all.

Blog Entries
    I have no issue with my 1950's case 312 at all.

I've been wearing them exclusively for more then 5 years now, despite trying other brands, have over 20 of them including right up to the 60mm 341, never had a problem.

just bare in mind people tend to wear them slightly loose so they will move if you hyperextend your wrist.

if it is really a problem just get a destro with a crown on the left

It`s not a problem, unless you`re one of those weird folk who wear your watch really loose on the wrist so that it slips down and interferes with the back of your hand - that`s wrong with any watch never mind a Panerai.

I'm not saying its a problem, I just don't happen to like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I'm quite taken with the white dials, they do seem cheaper than all the others, is it because of the colour?
    Purely and simply, yes.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a white dial Panerai. They might not be the most popular choice but my 114 gets more wear than many of my black dial Panerai

They tend to be a little cheaper on the used market because they aren't as popular, but that just makes them better value. You can buy a used 114 for similar money to a used Zero (I believe they're about £1k more expensive new)

As for the crown guard, it's never been an issue for me but I suppose you really need to try one. It probably depends on how you wear it (i.e. how tight and how close to your hand)

I'm the same as Toshi -- my 114 gets worn (probably) twice as much as my 111. In fact, I'm just going to wind & wear it.

If I were in funds, I'd be looking for a 188 and a 561.

The crown guard is something that you're aware of for a day or two, then it isn't, IMO.

Never had a problem myself, i find if you wear them loose you notice the guard more, hence the reason i always strap mine down..so to speak

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I'm not saying its a problem, I just don't happen to like the look.
    Got to agree with you spoils the look for me. Assume the guard can't be removed?

Master
    No issue I and don't baby it either I ride bicycles I wash dishes with then and never bothers me.

Never knowingly bumped or damaged a crown in any way.
    Yet Panerai seem to be very keen in protecting the crown for some reason.
    I appreciate that it is one of the key visual elements to a Panerai, but it keeps me clear of the brand.

Craftsman
    No issues here.

I get what you guys say about no issues with the crown guard, I do prefer the look of the ones without, but don't like the wire strap holders?. There are so many variants it's a struggle to identify which model or models I like. We have some friends coming over from the U.S. For Crimbo so am looking to maybe source on stateside and they will bring it over

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I get what you guys say about no issues with the crown guard, I do prefer the look of the ones without, but don't like the wire strap holders?. There are so many variants it's a struggle to identify which model or models I like. We have some friends coming over from the U.S. For Crimbo so am looking to maybe source on stateside and they will bring it over
    If you don't like the wire lugs (Radiomir style case) or the crown guard (Luminor and 1950s style case) then have a look at the 1940s style case, it has neither. I have no idea of actual model numbers. It may even be called a 1940s Radiomir or Luminor, I can't remember but they are all in-house and therefore a bit more expensive.

Just go for a destro, then you can walk on your hands if you like.

Craftsman
    Never bothered me and for me it is a distinctive and welcome addition to the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I believe there are way less model options than most people perceive. Why not visit the makers website, browse and decide on a short list after that? http://www.panerai.com/en/home.html

I wear a watch on my right hand and have owned 'regular' and 'destro' versions of the 44mm Luminor. Never had any issue with comfort etc

Master
    i find the panerai crown guard fine and certainly less uncomfortable than some onion crown watches i have owned

I have a few panerai's and never been an issue with me, actually more comfortable then some other watches I have owned.