closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nearly completed a Patek 5167a

Craftsman

Nearly completed a Patek 5167a

I put an offer on a 2014 5167a through Chrono24 (it was a brick and mortar seller) and it was advertised for 15,999 euro - I offered 15,000. They have come back with a counter offer that brings the watch to circa £10,750 and I am sorely tempted. What d you think of this offer?

Master
    If it is the right watch, right condition and from a seller that you are comfortable with then at this price point a £100 or two either way should not stop you really. Get on with it and live life's experiences !!;)
    However if you are not sure about the model or that much money then that is a different question......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontblowsmoke View Post
    I put an offer on a 2014 5167a through Chrono24 (it was a brick and mortar seller) and it was advertised for 15,999 euro - I offered 15,000. They have come back with a counter offer that brings the watch to circa £10,750 and I am sorely tempted. What d you think of this offer?
    Maybe. Does it come with a steel bracelet? Paying that much money for a watch on a rubber strap seems a bit rich.

Feeling like that about it go for it, you don't want to miss out on something you really want for a relatively small increase in your offer price

That's a decent price but with recent price drop not an amazing one. Can get brand new for around 11k or less out of Hong Kong now. But if it's a minter, good providence etc then a deal around £10.5k all in including shipping and exchange commission on international transaction is ok. This is for rubber version - if steel bracelet then snap his arm off!

Good deal and personally I prefer the 5167 on rubber anyway.

Craftsman
    It was always meant to be on a rubber strap. The texture of the strap matches the dial, like tyre tracks. If going for a bracelet then you're better off with the 5711.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's more likely the strap was designed to complement the dial I would have thought. Either looks great imo.

Craftsman
    Well after a £800 car bill (failed the MOT); my sons birthday party and new decking needed this is not going to happen

Back to a Daytona maybe? Or wait and keep saving? My goodness watches are starting to get to me!!

Master
    Lol 800 car bill painful and looking at a 10k watch.... Something not quite right here

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Lol 800 car bill painful and looking at a 10k watch.... Something not quite right here
    Nice to see you read the whole post; was it a little too long for you to complete - blinking heck another idiot on the forum.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Aquanaut and daytona are pretty different watches.
    Depends what would fit better in your stash I guess.
    Have you already got a diver or a chrono?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Aquanaut and daytona are pretty different watches.
    Depends what would fit better in your stash I guess.
    Have you already got a diver or a chrono?

I only have a 2001 Rolex SD Verv and just want to try as many watches that I can ha ha.I bought my other half a vintage Breitling Navi http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=1968

I love the look but it wears awful on me.

Would you think a Daytona would be a good addition?

If your sights are set on the PP then keep saving rather than go for second best.

I had a not dissimilar situation (*) in that I spotted a watch I loved when it was released in 2010, took me 4 years to get the funds together and I finally got it back end of last year ... best decision ever, and perhaps the enjoyment of the watch has been enhanced by waiting so long to get it and anticipating when it might actually happen.

(*) no car bills or patios, it just took me 4 years to get the funds together and then convince both myself and the missus it was okay to spend, what is to me, a significant sum of money on a single watch.

Craftsman
    Thanks Stout; I think it would take a year to get the funds together.

- - - Updated - - -

Or sell my SD!!

Craftsman
    Hang in there and get the watch you really want when you have the cash. You'll love it even more when it comes

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm probably not the best person to ask as I'm a confirmed rolex fangirl :-/
    If you have a SD I'd be tempted to go white daytona.. Two completely different looks and good fun to own until you're in a position to go for the Patek. I doubt either would depreciate dramatically.

If you still really want the aquanaut when the time comes, sell and buy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I'm probably not the best person to ask as I'm a confirmed rolex fangirl :-/
    If you have a SD I'd be tempted to go white daytona.. Two completely different looks and good fun to own until you're in a position to go for the Patek. I doubt either would depreciate dramatically.

If you still really want the aquanaut when the time comes, sell and buy.
    Good post; thank you. I have a budget now of £6,250 so may be difficult finding a Daytona that I like for that much but worth a go.

Thanks again all

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontblowsmoke View Post
    I only have a 2001 Rolex SD Verv and just want to try as many watches that I can ha ha.I bought my other half a vintage Breitling Navi http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=1968

I love the look but it wears awful on me.

Would you think a Daytona would be a good addition?
    The Aquanaut is time+date so essentially a Date-Just in a sleeker form. From that perspective, try the Daytona. You can sell it in future if needs be. Have you always fancied a chrono though? If not, I'd ask myself why I wanted the Daytona. I have read that they have thin hands and not the best for easy time reading. If you have a SD then many would say you have the cream of the Rolex sports range already.

I don't follow Daytona prices so if you think you'll buy and sell and not lose too much on doing so, why not? Maybe get bi-metal as these seem cheaper pre-owned?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The Aquanaut is time+date so essentially a Date-Just in a sleeker form. From that perspective, try the Daytona. You can sell it in future if needs be. Have you always fancied a chrono though? If not, I'd ask myself why I wanted the Daytona. I have read that they have thin hands and not the best for easy time reading. If you have a SD then many would say you have the cream of the Rolex sports range already.

I don't follow Daytona prices so if you think you'll buy and sell and not lose too much on doing so, why not? Maybe get bi-metal as these seem cheaper pre-owned?
    I have worked it out that if I get a decent one for 6,250 there should not be too much of a loss when it comes to resale if any. I can them tick it off the want to try list

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Chrono24 will yield something for you. There are a number of watches I want to try. Not keep, I think, just try. Unless you have a decent "float", you're scuppered :-(

Craftsman
    I am hoping this forum brings in the Daytona rather than Chrono; lets see