closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster mark II New or Vintage?

Speedmaster mark II New or Vintage?

Hi All

I have been trawling this forum for a while but have finally decided it was time to open an account and this is my first post. I am eying up an Omega speedmaster mark II as my next purchase and wondered what opinions you have over buying a vintage one over the new re-release? I feel the date at the 6 o'clock position on the new model really ruins it and I quite like the idea of buying an old model and getting it refurbished to it former glory.

Master
    Go for the original at a fraction of the price of a new one, safe in the knowledge that it will hold it's value. I would be more inclined to buy a really nice unrestored watch and enjoy wearing it. There is a joyous freedom in not being overly precious about your watch, in the way you would be with either a brand new or newly refurbished one. I have a really nice unrestored 'Racing' version that I enjoy wearing. While I don't abuse my watches there's a great freedom in knowing that it already has some signs of wear and it can always be totally restored if something really nasty happened. However, if you do want to have a 'like new' watch from the outset, even a very worn example can be restored to 'new' condition by Rocco Manfredi at 'Watchworks', giving you a two year warranty from an Omega accredited workshop. Just ensure that the case hasn't already been over polished and lost its profile and that the movement is clean and corrosion free - everything else can be replaced, although it would be better to have the original caseback, so that should be a consideration when buying a restoration project.

What he said ;)
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I think you've answered your own question there OP; you don't like the date on the new one and the idea of a nicely restored original appeals to you.

Cost wise, I turned down an unused racing MkII for a little over £2k and you can pick up vintage for around a grand. Add £500 for a service and refurb and you're still quids in.

As said above, the vintage is likely to appreciate whilst the new one isn't so again, the vintage makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I you can pick up vintage for around a grand.
    Let me know where the 'grand' Racing dials MKII are please - I'll have a few of them!

Master
    I prefer the vintage ... ... and agree with comments on restoration ... my 1st I replaced the dial and hands ... and actually wish I didn't ... second one had re-lumed but original dial ...

let me know where the 2 grand new versions are…………..

Craftsman
    Flogged my vintage a few years ago for £425 and it was mint! Wish I kept all the various Speedies I went through at that time.

Grand Master
    I`d certainly go for an original rather than the 'new' one. I`d be looking for a nice restored one, ideally with provenance from a good repairer. Cases can be refinished but beware of anything with really deep dings in it, particularly on the edges. You're looking at laser welding and adding new metal to get that type of damage put right, and the costs will spiral. Also look carefully at the dial and handset. I don`t know whether new dials are available or how successful refinishing is on these.

A well-restored example could be worn without getting too precious about it; everyday light scratches etc can be removed by refinishing again in the future.

Having said all that, a new version at a good price may be tempting. You're getting a brand new movement rather than a 40+ years old watch that will still have wear in some parts unless it's had a boatload of money thrown at it. A rebuilt movement is never quite the same as when it was new, a point that folks tend to overlook when considering vintage watches.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Flogged my vintage a few years ago for £425 and it was mint! Wish I kept all the various Speedies I went through at that time.
    blimey, hope that wasn't too recent - mint ones on ebay seem to be fetching £1200-1500 recently and BINs can be as high as 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    Let me know where the 'grand' Racing dials MKII are please - I'll have a few of them!
    there were two unsold at last weeks Fellows Auction with a reserve of £760 and £800 although not racing dials

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    let me know where the 2 grand new versions are…………..
    I was offered an unused racing dial model for £2200 but turned it down. It was, I accept, an absolute bargain and way below the more usual second hand prices.

There have, however, been a couple on sc for a little over £2k.

Vintage every time...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Racing dial, I would go vintage.
    New, I like the Rio special edition
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...rk-ii-rio-2016

I prefer the new watch personally.

I made ace the same choice with the modern Ploprof, and again for me it's the better watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    my old Mark II. Looking for watchmaker in London to bring it back to life.
    sub hand is missing and winding stem is falling out :(

Quote Originally Posted by vklibavicius View Post
    Welcome to the forum, that does look a bit sorry for itself! I'm sure you will get some good advice on restoration here.

Vintage!!!

Definitely vintage

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Definitely vintage

That's enough to convince anyone - gorgeous!

Journeyman
    A very nice watch indeed but also a hefty sized chunk of steel at 185g on your wrist

Quote Originally Posted by moe100 View Post
    A very nice watch indeed but also a hefty sized chunk of steel at 185g on your wrist
    Is that the reissue? Chuck Maddox has the original Stainless Version on 1162/173 at 134.61g. It certainly doesn't feel heavy, but like many I generally wear it on a Di-Modell Rallye with orange stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by vklibavicius View Post
    Rocco at Watch works in Bristol did a top job with my flight master, he is omega accredited.

I very much prefer new.
    I'm too ocd for vintage stuff.

I have to say some of the vintage shots you guys have put up look great! I think you guys have convinced me vintage is the way to go. The big issue is how do I go about buying another watch without my girlfriend killing me!

Apprentice
    uploadfromtaptalk1447383885562.jpg My speedmaster is back :)

Craftsman
    I don't know, I think the new one is pretty slick.

Craftsman

Vintage for me as well. Part of the appeal of the Mark II is for me the story that it is supposed to be a improvement on the moon watch with its streamlined case to avoid snagging your spacesuit on the watch (not sure if this ever happened)
    So a reissue with the cal 1861 would have been fine for me ( and maybe a version with co axial for good measure as they did with the moon watch as well)
    Got my vintage fully serviced for a third of a new one so easy decision :)

Last edited by Bender; 13th November 2015 at 11:28.

I've owned both, racing dial original and the new Rio iteration. Both are very nice, but I have started to get out of the vintage Omegas when the issue of parts for independent watchmakers reared it's ugly head, so now just have this one.

[IMG]

Vintage
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    I've owned both, racing dial original and the new Rio iteration. Both are very nice, but I have started to get out of the vintage Omegas when the issue of parts for independent watchmakers reared it's ugly head, so now just have this one.

[IMG]
    That's a very good point. Hopefully with the right price for a vintage watch it leaves plenty of spare for an occasional trip to sts

But I must admit I retreated more then once from vintage watches as they required fixing soon after they arrived.
    Always come back though as there is something about them that you can't buy new :)
    Last edited by Bender; 13th November 2015 at 12:44.