closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gun advice please

Gun advice please

Hi folks I am turning to this forum as I know there are some gun enthusiasts on here. So, here goes - I got this gun as a 21st birthday present and have never used it. It was new when I got it. I have never fired a gun in my life (except paintballing) amd have no intention to!

It says BBM 8mm 315 Made in Italy.

Edited to say I know nothing about guns in general.

I am emigrating in 3 weeks and wondering what to do with it whilst still in the UK. Can I sell it? If so, how much? Or what are my other options?

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by pilotman; 28th July 2015 at 11:57.

Which country are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Which country are you in?
    London, UK

It's a realistic imitation firearm, so the Violent Crime Reduction Act restrictions apply. You can only sell it to someone who can show good reason for possessing it. The traditional proof of this is membership of UKARA (airsoft skirmishing).

As above. If you've had it a while it may be an old-style 'readily convertible' type which means care has to be taken.

Phone your local firearms licensing team - they are very helpful. Or visit a local registered firearms dealer. They may not be interested in it though, and blank firers are pretty cheap anyway so it's not like you're sitting on a pot of gold.

Whatever you do, do so responsibly - no-one wants even replica firearms in the hands of folks that should not have them (kids, bad people). It may be that the best course of action is handing it in to be destroyed believe it or not!

Thanks guys. I will call the local firearms licensing team and hand it over to them. I dont want any hassles at all in terms of the Law and also ethically I want to make sure it doesnt fall into the wrong hands. Thanks for your advice

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
    Thanks guys. I will call the local firearms licensing team and hand it over to them. I dont want any hassles at all in terms of the Law and also ethically I want to make sure it doesnt fall into the wrong hands. Thanks for your advice
    It is a side venting cast alloy alarm ´gun´ not capable of propelling anything and IMPOSSIBLE to be converted to do so.

I would post a photo of the top of the pistol as they do two versions - one top venting, one forward venting. You need to be very careful if you have the forward vent version as that could well be classified as "readily convertible" so effectively a firearm - mandatory minimum sentence 5 years. I know it is made of tinpot and you would be mad to do it but that won't help your defence...
    Last edited by MB2; 28th July 2015 at 15:39.

Read your PM mate as a matter of urgency, and ignore some of the advice here.
    Last edited by Kirk280; 28th July 2015 at 18:40.

Blog Entries
    hi, its a bruni 8mm blank fire "starter" pistol.

Link: Guidance on Firearms Licensing Law.

Then I found this summary: "Blank firing handguns and starting pistols are classed as imitation firearms and realistic imitation firearms in law dependent upon provisions laid down by the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 and are both subject to Section 19 of the Firearms Act under the broad term of imitation firearms. In essence it is an offence to possess any imitation firearm in a public place (including buildings accessible by the public) without a reasonable excuse."

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Read your PM mate as a matter of urgency, and ignore some of the advice here.
    Why the secrecy? What advice is incorrect that's been posted?

Craftsman
    Always a worry when someone's advice is kept secret. Why can't we all benefit from an experts knowledge?
    My non expert advice is you can sell it to the adult population at large if you spray it a flourescent colour.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    Always a worry when someone's advice is kept secret. Why can't we all benefit from an experts knowledge?
    My non expert advice is you can sell it to the adult population at large if you spray it a flourescent colour.
    Non expert advice is likely to get you locked up.

It is "potentially" an illegal weapon as a forward exhausting blank firer (non-technical term). I can discuss why via PM if anyone is that interested (don't PM unless you have one, please) but I told the OP everything he needs to know, with certain caveats.

My very trusted source of info is a retired firearms expert.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would post a photo of the top of the pistol as they do two versions - one top venting, one forward venting. You need to be very careful if you have the forward vent version as that could well be classified as "readily convertible" so effectively a firearm - mandatory minimum sentence 5 years. I know it is made of tinpot and you would be mad to do it but that won't help your defence...
    This advise is the right ball park. 'Cilla's is not. Nor is the air soft excuse advice - that is not an air soft firearm.

Craftsman
    see here....
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...earms-measures

paint the gun a funky colour...one of the approved funky colours that is.

For readily convertible imitations see here and note the defence...
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/#a05

Bottom line is you aint going to jail......yet.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    This advise is the right ball park. 'Cilla's is not. Nor is the air soft excuse advice - that is not an air soft firearm.
    The energy source makes a difference. It uses gun powder whereas ´soft´ uses air. So this is indeed ´fire´.

As to the effectividty in propulsing a projectile however, the ´gun´ is a useless tool. So this thing is not an ´arm´ and canNOT be converted.

All in all this thread is a textbook example of UK government having succeeded in creating public hysteria about ´arms´.

Indeed ´Oblivion´, yet.
    The clamp down on even airguns is nauseating.

Craftsman
    That's a blank firer. To be legal in the UK, the weapon must not vent the gas from the barrel (it will usually vent from the top in this country). If you take an oblique look down the barrel, you will hopefully see that it's blocked off - then look along the top for your vent port.

If it's front venting, it doesn't matter how many bright colours you paint it, it will still be illegal.

My advice:

- if it's front venting: take it to the Police and get them to dispose of it for you.
    - if it's top venting: take it to a local gun shop and see if they want to buy it off you, if not then take it to the Police and get them to dispose of it for you.

(Probably call the Police first rather than just strolling into your local Police Station)

Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    That's a blank firer. To be legal in the UK, the weapon must not vent the gas from the barrel (it will usually vent from the top in this country). If you take an oblique look down the barrel, you will hopefully see that it's blocked off - then look along the top for your vent port.

If it's front venting, it doesn't matter how many bright colours you paint it, it will still be illegal.

My advice:

- if it's front venting: take it to the Police and get them to dispose of it for you.
    - if it's top venting: take it to a local gun shop and see if they want to buy it off you, if not then take it to the Police and get them to dispose of it for you.

(Probably call the Police first rather than just strolling into your local Police Station)
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    Yeah my Dad caused a bit of an incident when he walked into a police station with a Bren gun he'd found in my Nans loft after she died lol

Craftsman
    My dad cause enough drama when he took me to the police station with him to hand in a machette covered in blood that he'd found on the side of the road!

I imagine a hand gun, blank firing or not, would cause a bit of a stir with the front desk staff.

Master
    It would be interesting to see the gun crime figures before and after all/most of the handguns were handed in/destroyed.

Can we get an update, please?

Just a quick update. The local police and their firearms expert came and picked this up from my house today. They thanked me for keeping another gun off the streets. They said this particular one can be very easily modified to shoot 'real' bullets. I appreciate some of the advice i got from this thread and through PMs. To be clear, the policeman wasnt 100% sure of the law around these types of guns but to be safe, asked for my permission to destroy it anyway.

Blog Entries
    Just a quick update. The local police and their firearms expert came and picked this up from my house today. They thanked me for keeping another gun off the streets. They said this particular one can be very easily modified to shoot 'real' bullets. I appreciate some of the advice i got from this thread and through PMs. To be clear, the policeman wasnt 100% sure of the law around these types of guns but to be safe, asked for my permission to destroy it anyway.
    hi, the police unsure of the law! what a joke, it dosnt surprise me.
    gun crime has gone up since the banning of certain guns, what a surprise, drug dealers, armed robbers, gangsters never handed their weapons in!
    and we get b ollocks from so called police firearms experts about guns that can be converted.