timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why?? clock content.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Why?? clock content.

Hello Gents,

Why is it that this lovely clock, can be bought from Amazon UK for £45.90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trintec-Vint...+6.5%22+Square

....when it can be bought on Amazon US for around £21??

http://www.amazon.com/Trintec-Vintag.../dp/B00GM3D34Y

I'd like one of these, but I'm damned sure I wont pay £50!!

It's a plastic quartz clock, with a £2 movement FFS!!!

EDIT, just found the same clock from anther seller on Amazon.com for $23, which is £16!!!, ie nearly £30 less than UK price.
    Last edited by doug darter; 27th July 2015 at 23:59.

Master
    Pfft - square those corners off and put Bell & Ross on it and it would be £450.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Beat me to it!

Master
    You can also get it from a US seller on ebay c. £40 delivered to the UK.

Also see

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/gifts-c221/clocks-c255

At any price they look rubbish and tacky anyway, so why bother at all.
    Not as bad, but not far off the 'High-end Brand here' cheap far eastern knock offs that sell on eBay from time to time for £100's

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Beat me to it!
    You still could have added - put Bremont on the face and it would have been £1,450

£30ish on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trintec-Al...item3f4b6fb9c1

Unless you HAVE to have the fake yellowed lume...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    At any price they look rubbish and tacky anyway, so why bother at all.
    Not as bad, but not far off the 'High-end Brand here' cheap far eastern knock offs that sell on eBay from time to time for £100's
    Well printed, accurate case, from the OE manufaturer. Why rubbish and tacky?? I've seen Breitling/Rolex clocks of inferior quality that sell for a lot more. I'd rather have this hanging in my study than most of the sub £100 clocks available to the UK. I agree, there may be better clocks available, but I just happen to think this one is good.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Where is your evidence that makes you think that this looks rubbish and tacky?? Come on, be objective.

I didn't say that I wanted this clock, nor did I espouse any of it's qualities. I came to it via a link from a post on another forum, and was just astonished at the price difference in UK.
    Last edited by doug darter; 28th July 2015 at 09:35.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    Well printed, accurate case, from the OE manufaturer. Why rubbish and tacky?? I've seen Breitling/Rolex clocks of inferior quality that sell for a lot more. I'd rather have this hanging in my study than most of the sub £100 clocks available to the UK. I agree, there may be better clocks available, but I just happen to think this one is good.

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Where is your evidence that makes you think that this looks rubbish and tacky?? Come on, be objective.

I didn't say that I wanted this clock, nor did I espouse any of it's qualities. I came to it via a link from a post on another forum, and was just astonished at the price difference in UK.
    a reasonable representation of an altimeter, hence tacky, as it's not, aviation inspired with no links to aviation at all.
    printed dial, no applied anything
    cheap movement
    plastic molded case
    Trintec is not an OE company in aviation, as far as I can tell they have nothing to do with aviation, just use that industry for design ideas.

The Breitling/Rolex ones are fake anyway nothing to do with the OEM companies at all.

Meh, it's a clock with a theme... Hardly worth getting exorcised about, it's a £30 clock.

If you like it, buy it and enjoy it, if not, don't...

M.

You can buy a genuine MiG aircraft clock from eBay for about £50.

Much cooler:

Grand Master
    Yep, point totally missed, but we did get another argument about brands. So that's nice.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

Much cooler:
    Now that is cool.
    I wonder how much a real SR-71 clock would be?
    You know the real thing like this tasteful beauty
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 28th July 2015 at 11:17.

On a serious note, the first thing that I thought was a Trintec watch.

EDIT - Holy Smoke! It is a Trintec wall clock! I didn't realize it until a later post! That is why they are similar!
    Last edited by tanatron; 28th July 2015 at 19:17.

Hello Gents,

Why is it that this lovely clock, can be bought from Amazon UK for £45.90

....when it can be bought on Amazon US for around £21??
    Have you seen international parcel rates lately? By the time you've added on VAT and import fees, and shipped the thing to the UK, you'd have to charge about £40 just to cover your costs.

Does that answer the question? Or is the question why isn't this clock made in the UK, and thus cheaper? That's a much more complex answer going back several decades and a few governments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

Much cooler:

There is also a lovely mechanical chronograph version too.....

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    a reasonable representation of an altimeter, hence tacky, as it's not, aviation inspired with no links to aviation at all.
    printed dial, no applied anything
    cheap movement
    plastic molded case
    Trintec is not an OE company in aviation, as far as I can tell they have nothing to do with aviation, just use that industry for design ideas.

The Breitling/Rolex ones are fake anyway nothing to do with the OEM companies at all.
    Not so shabby...

'Trintec has been granted more than fifty United States and Canadian Patents, many of which are in the field of precision instrumentation and watches.

Trintec develops and manufactures most of its products at its manufacturing facility in Ajax, Ontario, Canada and currently supplies its products to many of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers and aerospace companies.'

Trintec is officially licensed by the Cessna Aircraft company, and produces a line of products which bear the Cessna Aircraft Company logos.

The following is a partial list of some of our past and current customers: National Geographic, The Boeing Company, United Airlines, Air Canada, PBS Public Broadcasting Service, DeHavilland, Discovery Channel, American Airlines, Airbus, IATA, Bombardier, Lear Jet, Falcon Aviation, ICAO, FlightSafety International, Kelowna Flightcraft, Lockheed Martin, Embry-Riddle, Cathay Pacific, Air Transat, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic.'