closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help - Land Rover Discovery or Alternative?

Master

Help - Land Rover Discovery or Alternative?

I know there are a few land rover experts on here and I wanted to get some advice around what to look out for buying second hand.

I’ve got a budget of up to £5k and I’m looking for something reliable and if possible, a decent mpg fuel consumption. I need something that can carry a few passengers 5+ and/or use to transport tools etc. So what seems to be the obvious choice is the Discovery.

We’re going on a road trip to Portugal next winter and will be moving overseas (possibly Portugal) in late 2016 and I’ll most likely take the car with us for the trip and move.

If there are alternatives I should be considering, please chip in :) I owned a freelander a few years back when I lived in Spain, which was OK, but I don’t think it’ll be right for us this time.

Cheers,
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I’ve got a budget of up to £5k and I’m looking for something reliable and if possible, a decent mpg fuel consumption.
    I'm afraid a discovery is not for you. Reliability being the main issue.

I'd have to suggest a Japanese alternative if these factors are important to you, but even then, mpg is never going to be good for a 7 seater - 27mpg at best.

I know there are a few land rover experts on here and I wanted to get some advice around what to look out for buying second hand.

I’ve got a budget of up to £5k and I’m looking for something reliable and if possible, a decent mpg fuel consumption. I need something that can carry a few passengers 5+ and/or use to transport tools etc. So what seems to be the obvious choice is the Discovery.

We’re going on a road trip to Portugal next winter and will be moving overseas (possibly Portugal) in late 2016 and I’ll most likely take the car with us for the trip and move.

If there are alternatives I should be considering, please chip in :) I owned a freelander a few years back when I lived in Spain, which was OK, but I don’t think it’ll be right for us this time.

Cheers,
    Aaron

If your heart is set on a Disco then for 5K you'll only be looking at Disco 2s. The worry there is what you'd be buying for 5K- it may be 5K of headaches. They have their own fair share of problems which individually are not that much of an issue, however considering it maybe a 2000-2004 car you'd be looking at It might end up being a costly vehicle to maintain and run.

I know the D2 like the back of my hand so pm me if you want any further info.

FFF

Can Toyota Amazon be had for that money? Perhaps worth a look.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it might be one to think about.

If you get the one without all the gizmos it's perfectly reliable. Mechanically it's a relatively simple car. Mine does 30+mpg on a run, 25 if I'm towing, as long as you go at a sedate pace.

Good AT tyres actually improved the handling. However it won't seat more than 5, not in anything close to comfort.

£5k
    MPG
    Carry tools
    Reliable

= Mondeo Estate
    (unless the tools are huge)

Master
    As an ex D3 owner first thing I need to say is that I really did enjoy my time with the car. Apart from having a few suspension issues sorted when I first bought the car my only other maintenance expenses were servicing (inc transmission flush) and discs & pads. There was always that slight niggle in the back of my mind that a large bill could be just found the corner.

For a £5k D2 I'd want a hefty chunk put aside for potential repairs and ongoing maintenance. As for fuel economy it depends what you think is acceptable, my D3 would return just over 30mpg on a steady motorway run but round town you'd be looking at low to mid 20's on a good day.

'Land Rover Discover' and 'decent fuel consumption' don't often sit in the same sentence.

Large 4x4 with reliability: Land Cruiser

Decent fuel consumption + bags of space: Volvo Estate V70

If you need to carry people, get an MPV. If you need to carry tools, get an estate car.

Buying at the bottom of the budget leads to pain... My brother-in-law does it every time. "Ooh, Boxsters are as low as four grand now" - buys cheapest in country, is horrid. Sells for parts. Doesn't learn. "Ooh, e46 M3s are down to five grand now" - is horrid. Spends double that in repairs. Doesn't learn :)

Dont get a Disco. At that price point they will most likely be expensive to maintain. Look at a Land Cruiser or a Subaru - very capable

Master
    Thanks for the advice guys - My freelander, which at the time was only 3 year old when I bought it and with low mileage, had a few issues during my ownership. I currently drive a 13 year old CLK, had it just over 2 years and has been trouble free to date - I was originally thinking about getting a roof box and keeping it. By the sound of it, this is probably my best option - Better the devil you know :)

Cheers and HAGWE
    Aaron

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Had this discussion with our mech tech onboard, he basically said stuff the landys he worked on them in the army, always going wrong!!!, he would get a Mitsubishi shogun, same chassis basically, jap electrics, never goes wrong!

mike

If you're happy with the CLK then I'd suggest an E class. Estate. You can get the seven seater although they're only good for small children. The load carrying area is huge and, if you buy a diesel (220, 270 or 320) then you'll get decent fuel economy. I get 45-50mpg from my E220.
    £5k will get you a 55/56 plate with reasonable mileage or even newer with 150k plus on the clock.

Master
    I bought this Jeep Hemi on LPG for just over £5k.....it's a lot of truck for the money, and LPG makes it, reasonably sensible to run....I only get around 15mpg but at 55p per litre it's ok.... Use it mainly for towing, and with well over 300 bhp it does a good job, it's very comfy, and when it's not towing it will surprise many a golf GTi owner from the lights..

It's my second Grand Cherokee.....I sold the first one to my mate with 140k on the clock, and it's still going strong...that was a V8 also on LPG..

Volvo 240 - IRO of £800 for a sound one. Reliable and capable of space shuttle mileage without problem. Only downside is 28mpg

You could spend whats left over on watches

Works for me.

I've got a Discovery 4 and it's been great - in fact I'm in Lyon now having driven here today, on to Tuscany tomorrow.

Took it to Northern Spain last year and it didn't put a foot wrong.

I do lots of miles in a year and have no concerns about reliability if I'm being honest. But...

I love Landys, all shapes and size of them, but I'd be wary about doing that kind of journey in anything other than a 4. There are lots of potential issues, most of which are now sorted but go back a few years and Land Rover were still using customers as beta testers.

Two final thoughts - the 2 is probably the best other than the 4 and... Land Rover - turning drivers into mechanics since 1948

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you need the extra seats and you don't mind dying a little inside in owning the most boring car known to the civilised world, by an XC90. Don't expect great mpg but it will be reliable and they are massive inside.

If you can manage with just the 5 seats, buy a CRV.

Thanks for the advice guys - My freelander, which at the time was only 3 year old when I bought it and with low mileage, had a few issues during my ownership. I currently drive a 13 year old CLK, had it just over 2 years and has been trouble free to date - I was originally thinking about getting a roof box and keeping it. By the sound of it, this is probably my best option - Better the devil you know :)

Cheers and HAGWE
    Aaron
    That was a bloody bargain, that CLK!

Master
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I'll hold fire for now and keep the CLK and get a roof box for the initial trip. The shogun sounds like a good shout and under consideration.

Cheers
    Aaron

Master
    Blog Entries
    We hire a roof box for our holiday every year.

Master
    I need bars as well and by the look of it I should be able to get a box and bars for the merc second hand for around £70 - We going away for 4 months, so I'm not sure if renting will work out economical?

Master
    Buy the XC90...we are on our 3rd..all petrol and on gas but avoid the 2.9......crap gearbox. 2.5 is a good compromise of power and economy.

I also have a Disco 2 as well but not in the same league as the Volvo unless you are driving up a mountain!!

Now there's something I never thought I'd see, 5 grand, reliable, economical, Discovery and all in the same sentence.