closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tissot watches... how good are they?

Master

Tissot watches... how good are they?

My mum's getting married soon, and I've been thinking of buying them both a watch. My mum likes shiny things of course, and her husband to be likes classy watches.

With a few important things coming up, I can't spend the earth, and my WTB isn't going so well, so I've been looking at these watches...

Mens Tissot:
    Tissot T-Classic Automatic III T065.430.11.051.00 Men's Watch
    Womens Tissot:
    Tissot T-Trend T-Evocation T051.310.11.031.00 Women's Watch

What do you think? Will these likely last well and stand up to day-to-day usage? Perhaps you have another recommendation? I'd like to avoid Seiko and the like really as all their friends have watches like that (I have nothing against Seiko myself! :-)

Master
    No idea about ladies watches I'm afraid, but the Tissot Visodate looks fantastic. I'd go with that for your Mum's fiance.

http://www.tissot.ch/products/tissot...301603101.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    No idea about ladies watches I'm afraid, but the Tissot Visodate looks fantastic. I'd go with that for your Mum's fiance.

http://www.tissot.ch/products/tissot...301603101.html
    Thanks... they have those for £321... http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...yword=visodate

I actually thought they were larger than 40mm so didn't give it a second look until you replied, so a great recommendation.

Master
    +1 for the Visodate.

Don't get a gold plated one though, I was looking at a couple on eBay and it looked like it wore off very easily.

Craftsman

I have a PRC 200. It's just a quartz but it's solidly built and looks the part. I bought it on the SS bracelet and decided to buy the leather strap later. Completely changes the look of the watch. I wanted to buy a quality but reasonably priced watch for my brother in law for his marriage to my sister and I turned to Tissot. Same as mine but the blue face version.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    +1 for the Visodate.

Don't get a gold plated one though, I was looking at a couple on eBay and it looked like it wore off very easily.
    The visodate is lovely, bought one from creation about 6 months ago with the white face. Really good value for money and is a really classy piece also has the nice display back

Visodate is one of my current pics in theTissot range, and it loses the horrible 1853 script of most models. The do an 80h watch as well though in the Powermatic range in both Chronometer an non-chronometer I think, and the Ti version, and Tempo models look interesting too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Wayne,

I have a black dial day-date Powermatic 80. Quite dressy but 200 m WR, display back and bracelet extension clasp.

Standard version but easily keeps to a few seconds a day. List is just shy of 500 quid.

Very good value for money in my opinion.

Im no watch connosieur.................but! Ive had a few Tissot, real good value for money watches in my opinion.......(boxes are normally pretty big and impressive too!).

I had a PRC200 on leather as above, one of my first non purely functional watcher. Not a bad word to say about it - stylish, practical, attention grabbing. They seem like good value timepieces with a decent history of watchmaking behind them, compared to their immediate competitors.

Master
    Great to see so many positive responses, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Wayne,

I have a black dial day-date Powermatic 80. Quite dressy but 200 m WR, display back and bracelet extension clasp.

Standard version but easily keeps to a few seconds a day. List is just shy of 500 quid.

Very good value for money in my opinion.
    That sounds very, very nice! I'll have a look into it.

Master
    This but mine is black dial, there is a light dial version too.

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...racelet+watch/

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Great to see so many positive responses, thanks.

That sounds very, very nice! I'll have a look into it.

This is my only Tissot - bought new in 1982 and worn occasionally ever since - in all that time it has never 'failed' and has had no service whatsoever!Dsc_0002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I had a PRC200 on leather as above, one of my first non purely functional watcher. Not a bad word to say about it - stylish, practical, attention grabbing. They seem like good value timepieces with a decent history of watchmaking behind them, compared to their immediate competitors.
    I have one of them, blue face with the metal strap. Such a nice looking watch, used to actually get comments about it from people, doesn't happen with my more expensive watches..

I think Tissot are an excellent choice in the lower ranges you get Swiss Kudos at Seiko and Citizen prices which should appeal to most no WIS types.

I had a Visodate - was excellent. The missus has a Tissot that I bought for her - has a teeny ETA auto movement in. Went for a service - the same place my Omegas go but a third of the price :)

Good, long established name, mix of decent quality quartz and some automatic watches.

I've got a PRC200 (although I rarely wear it these days) and it's the only watch anyone at work has ever commented on spontaneously (some colleagues know I'm interested in watches and we talk about them, but this was someone who didn't know)!

I bought my wife a Tissot a couple of years ago because she mentioned her father had bought her one for her 18th (I think) and then lost it some years later (odd story, but anyway...).

I'm buying my daughter one for her graduation too - Her choice.

M.

Good watches old brand, have often been called a poor man's Rolex, and that's meant as a positive, as in inexpensive and comparable to

PRC200 is well known to be a model that has been faked extensively in the far east. If you buy this model from anywhere but the authorised dealer then you have been warned. The fakes are very good too. Somehow the fakers have concentrated on this model and come up winners. They have dumped these fakes on ebay and other internet sites especially in China, Singapore, India and middle East. Also on ebay in Europe.

I have a PR-516 Visodate Heritage, as I loved the retrofuturist look. I've got the blue faced one and it's amazing on a mesh strap. Although a men's watch, it looks great with a mod outfit.

I'd buy another, definitely!
    Last edited by messym; 24th July 2015 at 19:30.

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Im no watch connosieur.................but! Ive had a few Tissot, real good value for money watches in my opinion.......(boxes are normally pretty big and impressive too!).
    I have a Nicky Hayden T Race Moto GP...it's a great solid watch, radical looks and gets noticed a lot with its red face and very comfy red silicon strap...as for big and impressive boxes..yes ..don't get much bigger or more impressive than the scale crash helmet and helmet box it comes in....

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I have a Nicky Hayden T Race Moto GP...it's a great solid watch, radical looks and gets noticed a lot with its red face and very comfy red silicon strap...as for big and impressive boxes..yes ..don't get much bigger or more impressive than the scale crash helmet and helmet box it comes in....
    I always remember lusting over that watch when it was on display (in its helmet) in a window in a shopping centre, at the time i couldnt imagine spending that sort of money on a watch!!

Those powermatic 80 are a lot of watch for very little money - just picked one up in Preston from
    The dregs of the George Banks sell-off - some nice case details - will put some photos up later
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 25th July 2015 at 13:37.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks... they have those for £321... http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...yword=visodate

I actually thought they were larger than 40mm so didn't give it a second look until you replied, so a great recommendation.
    Available for <£400 in UK if you shop around (Goldsmiths for example).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Visodate wears too big IMO and the strap/deployment is poor quality.

I really like my PRS516, it gets a lot of wrist time.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    PRC200 is well known to be a model that has been faked extensively in the far east. If you buy this model from anywhere but the authorised dealer then you have been warned. The fakes are very good too. Somehow the fakers have concentrated on this model and come up winners. They have dumped these fakes on ebay and other internet sites especially in China, Singapore, India and middle East. Also on ebay in Europe.
    Wow, didn't know this happened for the Tissot brand

This is the powermatic I picked up this afternoon - sub-£300 - how can you go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    This is the powermatic I picked up this afternoon - sub-£300 - how can you go wrong?

That looks very nice. Whats the size of it please?.

Dimensions: 41 x 48mm
    Thickness: 9.75 mm
    Lug Width: 22 mm
    Crown: 6 x 2.75 mm
    Good review at: http://wornandwound.com/2013/04/17/t...tic-80-review/

Like mine.... nicely made with a very comfortable bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Many thanks for that......it sure is a nice looking watch.....I may well have to look more into this!

I have a visodate, a good watch for the money. A family member used to work at swatch HQ in soton and bought loads of Tissot pieces during his tenure, they were all well finished.

Banned
    Tissot makes good honest watches. Highly recommended.

Grand Master
    Probably the most affordable of the Swiss brands thesedays. I think they're OK but I`m not so keen on some of their modern designs.

A more straightforward proposition for servicing in the future too.

Paul

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Visodate. I've owned the White/silver dialled version for a couple of years now - great looking watch.

Master
    In terms of quality feel, how do Tissot watches compare to similar priced brands?

E.g. how would the quality feel of a Visodate compare to, say, a Steinhart?