closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with Heuer Formula 1 ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    But you aren't shocked that its gone 500%?? You think that's reasonable??
    Break it down, and it's predictable, quite reasonable, and a long way from "shocking" (whatever that means!).

In 1990 an F1 was more like a posh Swatch in construction, with a very simple steel shell, plasticated bezel, unsigned crown, low-cost movement and rubber strap. The modern ones have sharp-edged cases, steel bracelets, PVDd bezels, applied dials, mid-spec quartz or automatic movements. But if we assume the specifications of the watches 25 years apart are the same, consider:

Cost of western labour has approximately doubled in the intervening period. The adherence, even dependence on compliance and health and safety has made manufacturing more expensive still, even beyond the rise in unit labour costs. The Swiss franc has appreciated, since 1990, almost doubling value vs sterling. VAT has gone up 5%, and marketing and distribution expenses of course. So really, £100 to £750 (or so) is easy to break down.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Break it down, and it's predictable, quite reasonable, and a long way from "shocking" (whatever that means!).

But if we assume the specifications of the watches 25 years apart are the same, consider:

Cost of western labour has approximately doubled in the intervening period. The adherence, even dependence on compliance and health and safety has made manufacturing more expensive still, even beyond the rise in unit labour costs. The Swiss franc has appreciated, since 1990, almost doubling value vs sterling. VAT has gone up 5%, and marketing and distribution expenses of course. So really, £100 to £750 (or so) is easy to break down.
    But have prices of say, German-made cars gone up 700% since 1990? The same factors would appear to apply equally to making Swiss watches in Switzerland and German cars in Germany (apart from the Swiss Franc obviously!). Can you think of any other product that has gone up 700%?

OP have you thought of saving a bit more and going modern? The F1 GMT with black and blue bezel is fantastic looking watch, decent value too.

Can you think of any other product that has gone up 700%?
    House prices?

Go check the cost of a 1990s car, petrol ... I think you eyes will really be opened. Besides I think you've been answered, as others have said the quality and manufacturing of the F1 is so much better these days, not too mention the labour costs!

I considered one when I bought my Longines Hydro Conquest which is an automatic 300m Diver and about £100 cheaper than the Tag...you pays you're money and takes you're choice...if you like it buy it I doubt it will suddenly fall apart and it will have several years of warranty any way.

Banned
    But you aren't shocked that its gone 500%?? You think that's reasonable??
    Why would they be? This kind of rip off has been going on for a long time and many people are used to it and therefore think it is quite normal and reasonable. If you don't think it is reasonable, then simply don't buy an overpriced mediocre watch. Simple really.

This is nothing new, so there is no need to be shocked.
    Dr. John Bridges' Defence of the Government of the Church of England, 1587: " a foole and his money is soone parted."
    It was true then and it is still true now.

Last edited by GrandS; 24th July 2015 at 20:42.

Grand Master
    But have prices of say, German-made cars gone up 700% since 1990? The same factors would appear to apply equally to making Swiss watches in Switzerland and German cars in Germany (apart from the Swiss Franc obviously!). Can you think of any other product that has gone up 700%?
    No. Some things have and some thing haven't. (By the by, some people feel threatened by this, and like to lash out.) House prices have, especially if you converted them at the time into Swiss francs and are now having to buy them in Swiss francs, as I explained already.

Other watches have risen by more or less similar degrees, depending on the degree of change in the base product. Not to see this is simply a little retarded, like comparing a basket of British supermarket items in 1990 to a similar basket today. However, like GrandS suggested, the OP could simply buy another even more expensive overpriced mediocre watch, which is the sort of crap advice this forum has become expert in.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I considered one when I bought my Longines Hydro Conquest which is an automatic 300m Diver and about £100 cheaper than the Tag...you pays you're money and takes you're choice...if you like it buy it I doubt it will suddenly fall apart and it will have several years of warranty any way.
    Agreed - the Longines is probably better value for money. I'd probably pick it over one of the automatic F1s, although those do have a very nice case shape (and are equally as unlikely to fail).

Re: crap advice this forum has become expert in.

I think it is more a question of crap questions seeking what cannot be anything other than crap advice.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, all info taken in. As for me I won't be buying new, and don't give a monkeys about resale value as I'm not a dealer/profiteer. Just thought it was an alternative to the 009 and 7548 I use at the moment on s/wv z22. I just had questions about the reliability / diveability and lume.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think it is more a question of crap questions .
    I can't see as my question was crap, just after info that's all.

Cheers and Thanks, didn't mean to cause such a Hoohah,

Richie

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Re: crap advice this forum has become expert in.

I think it is more a question of crap questions seeking what cannot be anything other than crap advice.
    Why was it a crap question? "Does anyone have one of these watches, I like the look of it, does anyone know of anything that commonly goes wrong with it that would stop it surviving?"

I appreciate the question wasn't about a forum darling, or "does-my-bum-look-big-in-this" - but that looks like a fair question to me, which because the brand it was, elicited a great deal of crap.

Journeyman
    I confess I got bored after reading the first 3 pages. A reasonable question but very disappointed with some of the brand snob answers the op got.

Quote Originally Posted by manivxr View Post
    I confess I got bored after reading the first 3 pages. A reasonable question but very disappointed with some of the brand snob answers the op got.
    A cool trick on a thread with two pages.

anyway here's a picture of my F1 Tag for the brand snobs.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    A cool trick on a thread with two pages.

anyway here's a picture of my F1 Tag for the brand snobs.

Sorry mate you lost me. What do you mean a thread with two pages? I am accessing via tapa talk on a galaxy s3. You fancy ex paining. ..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manivxr View Post
    Sorry mate you lost me. What do you mean a thread with two pages? I am accessing via tapa talk on a galaxy s3. You fancy ex paining. ..
    This is only a 2 page thread on the forum web page.

http://forum.tz-uk.com

(So far)

to OP: probably a lot of choice at that price point, what makes you choose the F1?

Martyn

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This is only a 2 page thread on the forum web page.

http://forum.tz-uk.com

(So far)

to OP: probably a lot of choice at that price point, what makes you choose the F1?

Martyn
    Thanks Martin for explaining. I am using tapatalk on a galaxy s3 so the thread appears over 7 pages. (Smaller screen less posts per page for all the smartarses out there! )

Journeyman
    Ps you learn something new each day...

Master
    I do remember them, but don't know too much about ownership of the old TAG F1's.

However, in light of the other "points" raised about TAG in this thread, I would suggest that if you look around, you will still see many people wearing relatively low cost TAG 1000 /2000 series watches of that era which are still going strong. I bought a TAG 1500 divers watch in 1986 and it is still going strong. My research when getting it serviced by an independent last year suggested that a good level of spares are available for TAG's of that age.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Why was it a crap question? "Does anyone have one of these watches, I like the look of it, does anyone know of anything that commonly goes wrong with it that would stop it surviving?"

I appreciate the question wasn't about a forum darling, or "does-my-bum-look-big-in-this" - but that looks like a fair question to me, which because the brand it was, elicited a great deal of crap.
    No, yours is not a crap question.
    Was a more general criticism.
    My stand - is specific questions like yours are perfectly legit.
    I don't think anyone can have an issue with it.

Master
    Op, there's a very nice F1 in sales corner at the moment, the newer auto model. It's a great looking watch and the price seems pretty good

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Ebay has loads from £300..... Plenty to choose from!