closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Certina - any must have watches?

Certina - any must have watches?

So one has just popped up on SC which made me think that I've never actually seen one in real life.

Looking around - it seems like Swatch position this alongside Hamilton, Tissot (they share the Powermatic 80 movement)? So are they roughly equal?

So any fans here and do they have standout models?
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 20th July 2015 at 22:57.

Yes,Certina DS action diver and the DS Action diver chrono

Let me see if I can find a pic of the three hander
    Not talking about their vintage divers which are golden.

The one on sc looks like a lot of watch for the money

Banned
    Try get your hands on first. I had a look at the dealers and was very unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Try get your hands on first. I had a look at the dealers and was very unimpressed.
    Really? Which one did you try?
    I would say that the DS action diver can stake a claim for the best sub$1000 auto diver IMO.

Just checked the one on SC and while it is not mint, you won't find a pre- owned for this price anywhere.

Banned
    I had a look at a number of models, whatever they had in stock that grabbed me really. Felt like Invicta style cheap junk.

(and i have no desire to rubbish anyone, i happily wear G shocks so am not a snob who thinks that unless its expensive dont bother.)

I had a look at a number of models, whatever they had in stock that grabbed me really. Felt like Invicta style cheap junk.

(and i have no desire to rubbish anyone, i happily wear G shocks so am not a snob who thinks that unless its expensive dont bother.)

Sorry don't agree I have always been a fan of Certina since my old Bristol have had a few turtle backs and an interesting 1980's Certina/Porche design chronograph in the past. When I discovered the Swatch Group were re marketing the DS models I was a little sceptical but I did have the oppurtunity to handle a couple in an AD in Tenerife and found them to be weighty and solidly built especially the bracelet and surprisingly the dial and hands although a modern construct were pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by Orgone Accumulator; 21st July 2015 at 00:01.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    So any fans here and do they have standout models?
    No

You couldn't be more far off the mark.
    Am speaking from personal experience from the two watches pictured below.
    Great finish, bezel action and time keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    No
    yet another stunning contribution to a thread

to the OP...
    have a look at the older DS2/3 1000m divers or the turtlebacks as they are known. the original or the reissues are worth a look. great case design and very well put together.

I want this.

This is another one that is growing on me...

If you are interested in haq then the DS-2 range based on the thermo compensated ETA 251.264 precidrive movement gives good value for money.

This is the cosc certified limited edition model.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    No
    Ignore the idiot.

The vintage ones are the nicest in my view. Love my DS2

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    have a look at the older DS2/3 1000m divers or the turtlebacks as they are known. the original or the reissues are worth a look. great case design and very well put together.
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    The vintage ones are the nicest in my view. Love my DS2

I think that would be my recommendation - the vintage divers were certainly good enough for the Royal Australian Navy.

http://www.vintagecertinas.ch/en/indexeng.html

They also made some cool hummers if that's your cup of tea.

Craftsman
    I think that Certina DS2 or DS3 super ph 1000m are the best of diver production about 70's

Certainly, nothing from their current line up can beat the vintage DS 2-3.
    Even the DS3 reissue was fine.
    Here is the older version

Master
    I think they have some attractive designs, though I haven't looked at one up close. The DS First Ceramic looks good, and they have an interesting quartz moonphase. It's worth noting that their 'precidrive' quartz movements are thermocompensated and run to +/- 10 secs a year, just like a GS. That's commendable as very few quartz watches, even from high end brands, bother to go the extra mile and do this.

I have 2 Certina DS-Action's; the titanium (on Cetina rubber strap) is excellent, the stainless steel less so, the bezel doesn't line up and has about half a second of slack and the lume is disappointing, especially the lumed portion of the bezel. Oh, lug width is 21mm......

Master
    Agreed on going vintage. I'd love the one pictured by RAJEN. The modern ones not so much.

I've only one Certina in my collection and its a subtle 70s hummer. One of my favourites.

Someone said in a recent Watch Talk Longines thread that "the Swatch group have sold Longines short" and I think the same applies here. While the DS-2/3 models of old were fantastic watches, Certina now seem to have a distinct place in the Swatch hierarchy which is somewhere between Tissot and Hamilton. The models I saw recently in a Dubai Certina boutique left me feeling very underwhelmed, the DS-1 Auto being the only one I may consider (and that would be second hand at very big discount).

I'm in a similar position. Although I rather like many of the new designs (the DS1 chrono and day date in particular) I have never examined one in the metal so to speak. There's a place in Glasgow that has them in, I should have a proper look some time.

The older dive watches have a bit of a cult following and go for good money now, not helped by the current fashion for 60's and 70's watches. I'm rather fond of the Chronolympics which again go for good money.

That vintage site posted is very good and informative.

I'm a fan of the vintage black dial Certinas.
    [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by ghwatch View Post
    I'm a fan of the vintage black dial Certinas.
    [/url]
    Not surprising, that is LOVELY. Great undermounted cyclops too

A not very good picture of a great little watch:

Another fan of vintage Certinas here. A couple of my old ones, starting with a 1975 Chronolympic C-Tronic.

A Certina Bristol 235, lovely little watch with a fantastic dial.

Cheers,
    Gary

WANT!!!!

Craftsman
    If my wrist was a little slimmer I'd get one of these. I'm not aware of any other moon phase HAQ in existence.

Journeyman
    You gotta have a vintage Chronolympic. A fantastic and unusual watch.

Let me present the Certina.

This watch was made for the Olympics in München 1972 and I assume that it was for the real time-nazis on the grandstands.
    If you might recognize this watch it may be because of it's appearance in Hodinkee's Talking Watches with Alan Maleh.. 4.30min into the episode.

It was in 1971 that Certina added the Chronolympic regatta chronograph to its chronograph range. The Chronolympic’s tremendous precision allows timing of different, highly demanding sports events. I think it was no coincidence that it was released just before the Olympic Games in 1972 in Munich, Germany. See the advertisement below!

The Certina Chronolympic Regatta is special for several reasons. First, the dial uses a truly eye-catching design. The upper right corner of the dial is sectioned in a 15-minute partition. The first five minutes are marked in a white-blue blue sequence, then five white minute markers, and finally five alternating white and blue markers. These are the regatta markers, a 15-minute countdown timer for boats to reach the finish line as well as marking the time before starting a race. The lowest part of the dial, on the other hand, has a red semicircular line. Used with the first 15-minute marker, games with 45-minute halves (like soccer) can be timed.

The Chronolympic Regatta has two other distinct design features. First, all hands use different colors—and what kinds of colors! This is the only watch I know about that has light blue hands—for normal minutes and hours. The centre chronograph hand is white, which is not very easy to read but blends well into the outer white tachymeter scale for which it is intended. In this way it does not disturb the pale red centre minute chrono hand, the hand which seems to be most important. The small hour register hand is black!

The other distinct feature of the Chronolympic Regatta would be its movement. This is the only watch that houses the Valjoux 728 movement, based on the Valjoux 72. It has the central chronograph hand feature in common with several Lemania movements—the 134x and 5012/5100/5200 line. The minute register was removed from the Valjoux 72 but the hour register is left in place. Nice. The movement has 17 jewels and is named by Certina as the Caliber 29-064. It uses Incabloc a shock protection and has a stated power reserve of 46hours.

The Certina Chronolympic Regatta has a big square case that measures 40mm wide, 44mm high, and 14mm thick. The case requires a 22mm strap.

The actual watch that I got on my wrist is the same that Hodinkee mentioned in a big article of whats selling where and below is the pictures from the auction house Kaplans in Stockholm Sweden. The condition in person is actually better then the pictures from Kaplans :)

And some bonus pictures

Sources:
    http://www.vintagecertinas.ch/
    http://www.sometimeago.com/what-a-wa...ympic-regatta/

'Must have' I don't know, but I'm rather fond of their 'Action Diver' models. Believe Certina must have looked at the current Omega Seamasters when they drew these, also from the Swatch Group. Quality is in my view excellent, never had any issues.

Master
    Holy thread revival. Some lovely Certinas so far, the ds-8 with moonphase is interesting and the older divers have definite charm. I've had one of these for a while and can't fault it, feels well put together to me and a nice finish. The 80hr power reserve keeps it ticking away when it's off the wrist so all good. Probably fair to compare to Hamilton who in my view make some great watches for the money too.

Master
    I was trying to find the Certina on SC... Then I saw the thread's original date

After a recent spending spree in Poland I have two -

The second one, for all of its electro-wizadry, will be moved on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    They're very nice. Not a fan of chronos as I just wouldn't use the function but that's really nice and subtle AND very accurate it seems.

Love the DS 80 both in looks and the fab movement specs

Craftsman

I really like that chronograph. I'd love to get one for myself

There are 2 watches that catch my interest from Certina. One old & one new;

1 - I think the Bristol 235 with Date is just a classic. (Some great images in Omegary's excellent Post (#28)).
    2 - I really like the current DS-1 Chrono (at about £1200 it is cracking value for a V7750).

Web image;

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    They're very nice. Not a fan of chronos as I just wouldn't use the function but that's really nice and subtle AND very accurate it seems.
    The thermo compensated ETA 251.264 movement in it is a great timekeeper.

I've had mine the best part of a year now and it has kept pretty well in lock step with my atomic G-Shock the whole time - both on and off the wrist.

Journeyman
    Very nice, liking both of these, especially the 2nd one.....

Master

Suspect there's now going to be a queue waiting for this to pop up on SC! :-)

SGR

Craftsman

Best Certina ever. As used in UFO, although I suppose you have to be of a certain age to appreciate what may look a bit naff now to younger folk.

Master
    Having real problems loading pics v annoying. But please take my word that a Certina DSFirst Auto is a cracker of a watch. Some may feel the dial is plain but I think this adds to the flexibility of it as it looks good with a suit or casual. 200m water resistance. It also feels substantial.
    Crown is excellent and better I feel than on the Longine Conquest.
    If you don't want to pay 1500-2k on a used Aqua terra I'd say go for it.
    Also Lume lasts all night.