closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying from Taobao - a reality check

Craftsman

Buying from Taobao - a reality check

In another thread I stated how to buy from Taobao. Recently, I have had to deal with Taobao sellers regarding issues and have now formed the view that Chinese customer service is not what we are used to. As such, I urge you to buy from Taobao with caution. If you want to take a risk, keep the orders very low value. Why? I have bought a fair bit off Taobao with no problems, but the first three orders with issues have proved how risky it is.

1. Bought a Shanghai tourbillon that I wanted to return under the 7 day rule. The finish could have been better but I chose to go the easy way of using the 7 days rule. On the day I received it in Melbourne I notified the seller that I wished to return it. Seller insisted I had had the watch for two weeks (>7 days) and had scratched it. I have raised a dispute with Taobao but given the seller's attitude I am not too hopeful of refund. Cost 4500CNY. Loss: I have a watch I don't want.

2. Bought a Sea-gull Dong Feng from Sea-gull's flagship store. The watch has a mark on the dial. The communication with the store has been good but the transport process stopped once the watch arrived in China. Tracking shows it has been in the same place for the last week. The parcel had the address in English and Chinese. I have asked Auspost to investigate. Cost 1078CNY. Loss could be 1078CNY as the watch is not insured. Never had a parcel go missing before.

3. Bought two suits for my son. Seller shipped to the trans-shipper and it has been signed for. Problem is that the tracking number on my Taobao is different to what they are quoting me in emails. What the flip! It's been reported to Taobao and they are siding with the seller because they have a photo of the package. Forget the different tracking numbers that I had nothing to do with. Cost 957CNY. Loss: 957CNY.

I recently returned a watch to AreaTrend. As usual, they were a pleasure to deal with. They refunded straight-away. Big difference between a US company and a Chinese one.

Craftsman
    I sent an email to to investor relations who put me in touch with a delightful, English-speaking rep, and things are moving.

The suits with the wrong tracking number (supplied by the seller) were identified as found under my account (after Taobao rep intervention) allowing me to pay for the shipping to Australia. Should be here within a week. GOAL!

The Sea-gull has left customs according to Auspost so it should arrive at the seller within a few days. That makes eight days in customs. Based on communications to date I am not expecting a problem with the Sea-gull store once it arrives. IN PROGRESS.

The Shangai tourbillon seller I am still worried about. Taobao rep is talking to him relating my point of view, so let's wait and see. It was nice being able to tell somebody in English that I wasn't too impressed with the finish, knowing this will be relayed to him. WAIT & SEE.

Lessons learnt.
    1. The 7 day rule clock starts running when the goods arrive at the trans-shipper, not when they reach Australia. Therefore, look for sellers that ship direct.
    2. Always write in English, let them sort the translation. Be upfront about being fluent in Chrome, not Mandarin.
    3. If things look as if they are hitting the fan, phone the HK service line, which has English-speakers. (852) 2215-5300.
    4. Attach a note in the purchase stating I am in Australia and request them to make sure the product is perfect to avoid returns. For watches, ask for one that is within COSC. When you buy there's a little box for any messages to the seller. I haven't used it before but will from now on.
    5. Buy from a Tmall supplier.

My confidence in Taobao has been knocked, but talking to the rep has gone a long way to restoring it. I am definitely a lot happier than I was a few days ago.
    Last edited by wadebridge59; 22nd July 2015 at 09:18.

Craftsman
    I have to say that my recent buys from Taobao have been eye-opening, for all the wrong reasons.

The Sea-gull having been retrieved was subject to a failed delivery, of which I informed the seller. After a week of it sitting in the local PO, I suspect, I have instructed AusPost to action its return to Aus. Very disappointed, particularly as the seller is the Sea-gull Flagship store.

Given what happened with the Sea-gull, my confidence in getting an outcome with the Shanghai has dropped to zero. Even if it got delivered I was worried that the seller would invent some lame excuse to deny a refund. Hence, the less risky option is to keep it, as the other probably would have resulted in no watch and no money.

You may not barrack for Ebay and/or Paypal but I have concluded that the customer service is a lot better than Taobao. Buy the seller!

I think what I learned from the above is ...why waste the $ and time for PRC watches...sorry if it doesn't make any sense to you..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I think what I learned from the above is ...why waste the $ and time for PRC watches...sorry if it doesn't make any sense to you..
    I don't think that I can bring myself to judge an entire country's watch industry based on the numerous positive experiences with Chinese watches and only a few negative ones. Have you ever owned one?

Craftsman
    Due to Taobao input the Sea-gull's refund is on the way. Don't feel confident about attempting a return to the Shanghai seller, 品牌手表国货店 (Domestic brand watches), shuishiyaoyao. Keep away!

I now have an English-speaking friend at Taobao who has offered to intercede on my behalf with any other issues. If anybody else has a problem, PM me and I will give you her email. Every time I say "thank you", she says "you're welcome". How sweet is that. I do believe that Taobao is interested in western consumers and will do what they can to put things right - just not there, yet, especially with sellers like shuishiyaoyao. But trying is a step in a the right direction.

Master
    What is your connection to these Chinese companies, if any, and why do you think any of us give a monkey's about all of this?

Craftsman
    Ha ha

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    What is your connection to these Chinese companies, if any, and why do you think any of us give a monkey's about all of this?
    You obviously do.

Based on previous comments in another thread where I told people how I buy from Japan and China, I thought people were interested. As this is the first time I have had issues I thought it best to inform interested readers of the outcome. I don't want anybody left in the lurch from buying off Taobao, especially if they did so because of what I wrote.

Given that my comments are far from positive what do you think is my connection?

I cannot see how buying from Japan or China is comparable???

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I cannot see how buying from Japan or China is comparable???
    It isn't. I buy Chinese watches off Taobao, and Japanese watches from Japan.

I think this is a good insight into buying from China, good on you mate

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    As with the earlier post, this seems useful information to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    As with the earlier post, this seems useful information to me.
    Agreed.

Craftsman
    I have decided to return the Shanghai and am waiting for the return address from the seller. I can't bring myself to let him benefit. Taobao is working on an initiative to improve returns for overseas customers. Also, having told them that the seller should be able to see that the buyer is from overseas I have noticed an Australian flag next to my name.

Based on a informative thread on WUS by chris01, http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/vapo...y-2138378.html, I have bought two Xonix watches. Briefly, they use an phone app to use light to broadcast the time to the watch, and has an IC that takes into account the variance in time. http://www.xonixe.com/products/selfC...g/features.php. The shipping to Aus is 88CNY. This time I included a note asking them to check the watches as it is expensive to return them. I am also using a different shipper. Chris bought from an Irish company; Dean from Telstar has offered to send me pics of a watch with the seconds hand hitting the markers, so will be buying one from him. http://www.telstarwatches.ie/product...m7003-rkk.html. I'll post pics when they arrive and let you know how they perform. If it does as it says on the tin, they will be very cheap HAQs.

Craftsman
    Back again! I ordered another Xonix from a seller, 我本激情 (in English, "I have this passion"), which I decided to cancel as I thought three self calibrating watchers were enough. I cancelled yesterday clicking for a refund before the watch had shipped. Today, guess what? The seller has shipped. There was a message on my Taobao page stating I had cancelled that has now gone. I have done this before and the refund has arrived. Looks like the seller is free to ignore giving a refund.

Lord deliver me as I am not worthy. I think I need a third Buddha on my desk.

Craftsman
    Forgive me if I appear a little direct, but you say you've used Chinese sellers on previous occasions, so I would expect you to be familiar with how things work, including the shipping things back to them?

When shipping TO them, tracking numbers are worse than useless once the parcel reaches China - they usually show they're in the incoming port & not moving, sometimes until you receive the watch back.

Chinese sellers have a different customer service model to us, they don't keep you "updated" if the situation hasn't changed. If nothing has changed, you will not hear anything. This doesn't mean they've forgotten or are ripping you off, just they're waiting on something / part / whatever. The whole country seems to be like this.

Translation seems to be the number one problem. Write in very simple English, include a Google translation (another reason to use simple English), or like you have done, find a contact who can translate and help you.

Never, EVER accept "Shipped to your local port" (there's an acronym for this that I can't remember ATM) - that is the lazy way for them to avoid all incoming port handling and custom and duty fees, which can easily add upto 75% of the cost of the item.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    Forgive me if I appear a little direct, but you say you've used Chinese sellers on previous occasions, so I would expect you to be familiar with how things work, including the shipping things back to them?
    Up until now I have had no problems, but I am getting familiar with how things work - the hard way.

Care to share any advice?

I think he just did...

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wadebridge59 View Post

Given that my comments are far from positive what do you think is my connection?
    The posts just seemed designed to promote awareness of these sellers and the various go-betweens that you refer to - that promotion of awareness can be just as effective, if not more so, when spiced up with some negative comments.

However, I accept that I am probably wrong, and as it seems that it is useful info for some members, just ignore me :)

Craftsman
    I think it's time for me to stop posting in this thread when knocking a supplier evokes bad news is good news. Those that are interested have got the idea that on the risk scale, it's not as low as Ebay.

I will take a rest from TMall until 11/11. A solemn day in the west is friends day in China, and the equivalent of Black Friday.

In the meantime, I am not betting on getting a refund for the Shanghai tourbillon, and I suspect the Xonix will end up with me.

For the record, http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/, is a proxy service, and does not see their role as helping you solve problems. Saying that, I think the Japanese sellers have excellent customer service and honesty when it comes to selling used watches. There are bargains to be had if you are prepared to take the risk.

To ameliorate the risk with Taobao use an agent (10%). Hopefully they will want your repeat business and therefore fight your corner with a seller. It would be nice to have a Taobao agent with a reduced fee for TZ-UK members.