closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to spot a fake

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think there's a psychological aspect to it too; if you're the type of person who likes to deceive then you're probably going to get more enjoyment out of wearing an accurate fake whereas I (and probably 99% of the people here) would feel guilty wearing a fake.
    Could not agree more.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think there's a psychological aspect to it too; if you're the type of person who likes to deceive then you're probably going to get more enjoyment out of wearing an accurate fake whereas I (and probably 99% of the people here) would feel guilty wearing a fake.
    This is an interesting view point- when I 1st got into watches I used to buy only fakes and used the RWI forum to find very good replicas (mainly because of bank balance), but also I was more about ascetics then provenance and horologic importance. However after buying my 1st gen watch there is no going back- I now have 5 genuine watches and still have 3 replicas. However I don't feel guilty to wear the fakes- I just feel like an idiot wearing them (although bank balance still wishes they were fake).

Am now obsessed with vintage and their importance to the evaluation of watches.

I am not condoning fakes, but it is easy to understand why people could be attracted to them. Take a Paul Newman Daytona for example, HQ Milton in SF have just listed one at $119,000.00 - you could buy a second hand Ferrari or a small house in some parts of the country for that amount, but you could probably pick up a fake of the same watch for a little over £100.00.

Years ago I bought a fake DRSD that basically fell to pieces, but owning that watch inspired me to want a genuine version of the same watch, which I now do own, so some good came from it for me.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I am not condoning fakes, but it is easy to understand why people could be attracted to them. Take a Paul Newman Daytona for example, HQ Milton in SF have just listed one at $119,000.00 - you could buy a second hand Ferrari or a small house in some parts of the country for that amount, but you could probably pick up a fake of the same watch for a little over £100.00.

Years ago I bought a fake DRSD that basically fell to pieces, but owning that watch inspired me to want a genuine version of the same watch, which I now do own, so some good came from it for me.
    Ironically the only replica I still own that am ever tempted to wear is a pretty spot on PN Daytona- but a few times people have asked to see it up close and I feel like a tit.

Journeyman
    I popped in to a pound shop the other day looking for a bargain. Saw a guy wearing a white gold sub. Looking at him the first thought that crossed my mind was it was a fake. Why would a guy who can afford a watch like that be shopping at pound stretcher? Then it occurred to me that I was wearing a rolex and looking at the way I was dressed others would be thinking the same. But as it was a genuine article it made me smile. But I would have felt embarrassed if it was a fake and others thought it was a fake also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manivxr View Post
    I popped in to a pound shop the other day looking for a bargain. Saw a guy wearing a white gold sub. Looking at him the first thought that crossed my mind was it was a fake. Why would a guy who can afford a watch like that be shopping at pound stretcher? Then it occurred to me that I was wearing a rolex and looking at the way I was dressed others would be thinking the same. But as it was a genuine article it made me smile. But I would have felt embarrassed if it was a fake and others thought it was a fake also.
    You are thinking way too much... Lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manivxr View Post
    Why don't rolex use ar coating like other companies. There must be a reason.
    They don't follow trends, they set them.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    They don't follow trends, they set them.
    Not using a r is not exactly setting a trend is it?
    I wonder which company did use the forest a r coating....

Quote Originally Posted by smokedog View Post
    I've reading up on fake Rolex SubC and its quite scary. As I'm looking to pick up a Sub soon and if I purchased a fake I'm not sure I could tell. At the same time it makes me question the value of a genuine item, when there is no noticable difference to a high-end knock off.
    You mean there may be no immediately discernible difference , to your eye. To be honest, if that means that you question the value of the genuine article then you'll never get why 99.9% of us bother posting here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchhead View Post
    Interesting tips... I wonder if you could also spot a fake by its crystal, maybe by the lack of AR coating.
    I remember reading about a test you can do to check authenticity of a watch crystal by putting a droplet on the crystal and looking at its behaviour (how it pools and runs off) is different to that of a fake watch. I assume a high quality sapphire has different properties to a cheap crystal.

I have yet to see a really good fake. Sure at a glance they look good but if you handle it for a minute and look closely the poor build quality will quickly become evident. It's is almost impossible to get caught with a fake as far as I am concerned if you practice due diligence and research what you are buying properly (assuming you have a chance to handle the watch before buying). The real risk is Franken watches which have the capability to fool a lot of people.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    I remember reading about a test you can do to check authenticity of a watch crystal by putting a droplet on the crystal and looking at its behaviour (how it pools and runs off) is different to that of a fake watch. I assume a high quality sapphire has different properties to a cheap crystal.
    I think this is for sapphire crystals vs mineral crystals .. some cheaper replicas will have mineral where the genuine model would have a sapphire crystal.

I have yet to see a really good fake. Sure at a glance they look good but if you handle it for a minute and look closely the poor build quality will quickly become evident.
    That really depends on the fake - a year or two ago someone here bought an Omega (Planet Ocean I think) and was really pleased with it until he discovered it wasn't a real one. An authorised dealer had even adjusted the bracelet for him, and they hadn't noticed either.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=That really depends on the fake - a year or two ago someone here bought an Omega (Planet Ocean I think) and was really pleased with it until he discovered it wasn't a real one. An authorised dealer had even adjusted the bracelet for him, and they hadn't noticed either.[/QUOTE]

Some fakes nowadays are amazing- go onto the sales section of RWI, some are so spot on it's scary.

I am also not surprised the AD didn't pick up on it, especially if only adjusting bracelet

Journeyman
    Like it. That's a good read -up. Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Rolex don't use AR coating, except under the cyclops.
    Is the whole of the Cyclops not AR coated, or at least the curved outer surface? I'm asking because, I marked the surface of the Cyclops on my Tudor chrono and it was invisible most of the time but appeared as a dark mark depending on the angle. There was nothing to feel and it wouldn't polish off. Indeed polishing made it worse (bigger) so I assumed that there was an AR coating on the outside. I ended up removing the cyclops, which I was never too keen on anyway and prefer the watch without it, 'SD style'.