closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Too similar in a collection ??

Too similar in a collection ??

Gents

Having been very restrained recently over another purchase, the 'itch' has come back again!!

I checked out the iwc ingenieur laureus edition recently and have fallen head over heels for this.

Although I have a diverse half a dozen, there isn't a daily watch in there that is robust and versatile.

I think the ingenieur would work as a daily wear. Robust enough for sports and the office. But it's quite similar to my 15400 blue.

What do you think? Too Similar to the 15400?

The other option would be to sell the 15400 and upgrade to a 15202 as the 15202 is thinner and smaller and something I would wear more often. However, it's still not a robust watch and hence the problem will probably still remain. What do you guys think?

Some pics attached of the watch and my collection.

Last edited by Eamonn345; 12th July 2015 at 20:31.

Craftsman
    They are quite similar Ali. Love your collection mate. Are you fed up with your hulk yet?? ;)

Quite similar, but not exactly the same.

If you like them both, then don't worry about it...

M

Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    They are quite similar Ali. Love your collection mate. Are you fed up with your hulk yet?? ;)
    Not yet!!

They are similar...

Nice collection btw

Banned
    Good grief man. You have the AP. Why in the world would you want that thing? You can't have them together in a collection, the AP just makes it look silly. Nice collection by the way.

they are quite similar but that will always be the case with the evolution of the Genta designs. is it the blue dial in particular you like or just the IWC inge design?
    I could suggest if it is the design you like, possibly looking at the older chrono black dial. great on the bracelet or a Jacobs strap. the black textured dial and the chrono could take it far enough away from the AP to make it "easier" for you :)

a few pictures of my silly watch below:

a favourite of mine which im very happy to have back.

on the croc leather.

the texture and depth to the dial on the older models is also quite lovely and has the added bonus of being available at a fraction of the new model cost too.
    Last edited by deerworrier; 12th July 2015 at 21:09.

Personally I wouldn't care too much about similarity. Just bought another Seiko Diver, two mates laughed at that but who cares. It's one I like. Stuff like not having too many divers or too similar watches are rational statements. It is always my feelings towards a watch that make me decide what to buy though.

Don't stress about similarity. I looked at my collection resplendent with my first Rolex (SD4000) and discovered a panaply, a glut no less of black faced divers. They're all subtly different but ultimately all black faced divers of some description. Do I care? Not a jot. I like white faced classy dress watches and have tried a few but none of them suit me. I've had a couple of complications, don't suit me.

So I've got a collection of classy (IMHO) black faced divers and one sports chrono (to mix it up just a tiny, small bit) and I think for once I'm happy with my collection. In fact, I've just ordered my first NATO strap.

Do what you want, wear what you want, not what you feel "should" be in your collection.

Too similar in a collection ??

If it was me then I would find them too similar and I struggle to see where the second would fit or be worn. This is just me but if you are asking the question, I think you maybe also thinking along the same lines!

However, if you love the watch and have the funds then why not?
    Last edited by paw3001; 12th July 2015 at 23:58.

Craftsman
    Nice collection and love the watch box , sets them off nicely !

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Good grief man. You have the AP. Why in the world would you want that thing? You can't have them together in a collection, the AP just makes it look silly. Nice collection by the way.
    I have to agree. Spending any of your hard earned on that IWC would not be the right thing to do, in my opinion.

I think they're different enough to not be redundant. I have the IWC 3227 and am looking to add a 15400 with black dial and feel that each have their place in my collection and would get sufficient wrist time.

There is some similarity as the IWC shares the same Genta DNA, i.e. integrated bracelet and round holes in bezel, but imho they are too similar in that they are both Genta styled/influenced watches for your small/ diverse collection.

Good points for IWC, red tipped seconds hand on a blue dial looks good and wears with presence due to integrated bracelet.

Not so good points for IWC, the blue dial looks very flat and dull compared to the textured dial on your AP.
    Have you noticed the colour/background of date wheel on Laureate IWC does not match and looks incongruous ?
    Imho date wheel would have looked better with a white date on black background instead of black date on white background.

Its clear that you have a penchance for blue dials.

Imho I would suggest an OysterQuartz (with blue dial if it exists )if you like the Genta style or a blue Yacht Master I for a non Genta style/influenced watch. Both OysterQuartz and Yacht Master I are robust watches more than capable of absorbing wear and tear from daily wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn345 View Post

Thanks for the comment guys. Not going to make a rash decision on this so will have a think and take my time

Craftsman
    I'm a big fan of Genta's early watches especially the older 322701 which I owned for a while and to me was nearly the ultimate everyday wearer.

The AP 15202 is my Grail but I'm not likely to get near one anytime soon.

I recently purchase the 2015 Laureus blue ingenieur and can confirm after 2 months of ownership that it is the perfect everyday wearer. Never needs babying and can be dressed up or down. It basically is almost everything I wanted from the 322701 but couldn't have!

If I comparing the Laureus blue ingenieur and the AP blue 15400 I would easily be able to argue until the cows come home that the AP wins hands down in all categories. That is except for the one category the OP is calling out on. So forgetting the vanilla like for like comparison as the Oscar for everyday wearer goes to....the IWC!

Strange really as my Grail is AP 15202 but would never ever be an everyday wearer in my book. Im intrigued as to what decision you go/went for. Please do update us all!

As I don't have unlimited funds, i would find that pair too similiar and would probably have to sell one to feed the addiction. But if you have the means, then have both by all means - there's still enough differentiation to warrant keeping both, and it sure beats having every slight font iteration of the same submariner!

Craftsman
    They are similar, but differerent concepts. i think they both could match in your box.

I think that they are too similar.
    You have few fantastic pieces in your collection, all very well distinguishable one from each other, and that is a testament to your fine selection.
    As a daily wearer with your kind of budget and taste I would continue the hunt for something else.

Journeyman
    As an aside how do find the JLC Moon thinking of one next as more of a dress watch. Haven't had the chance to try one on yet but wasn't sur es out the thickness and if it would feel a little insubstantial on the wrist.
    Thanks

I like blue faced watches mostly and would have no problem having several even if they looked similar. Of the two, I prefer the AP. The IWC seems flat alongside the AP, but you are not going to wear them both at the same time

The IWC looks perfect size wise on your wrist. The AP looks quite a bit larger in the pictures so I can only assume it must wear pretty large as well. The AP may have the name but I would go for the one which you feel wears better on a daily basis.

Thanks guys. This was a very tough decision.

The IWC Laureus is a fantastic watch but my heart has always been with the AP.

I've had the 15400 blue for over 18 months and although I loved the watch it was not getting much wear.

After being offered a very good deal to sell my AP, I sold it and used the additional proceeds in buying the 15202.

Very content with this watch (and the table alarm clock and the 40th anniversary book!) I've had this for nearly a week now and it has hardly left my wrist.

Apologies for the photos. Some quick iPhone pics. Photography has never been my strong point.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy333 View Post
    As an aside how do find the JLC Moon thinking of one next as more of a dress watch. Haven't had the chance to try one on yet but wasn't sur es out the thickness and if it would feel a little insubstantial on the wrist.
    Thanks
    Out of my 6 watches, the moonwatch by far gets the most complements. Not a versatile piece but works very well with a suit. Understated elegance! I did see one on SC for a great price recently. I also hear production has stopped on the white dial version. There is a new black version which has replaced the white version.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really wanted to like the 3239, but it has a terrible caseback. I know it wouldn't be seen too often, but it would still bug me.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn345 View Post
    Out of my 6 watches, the moonwatch by far gets the most complements. Not a versatile piece but works very well with a suit. Understated elegance! I did see one on SC for a great price recently. I also hear production has stopped on the white dial version. There is a new black version which has replaced the white version.
    Thanks very understated and clean dial, would be surprised to see the white dial going as it seems to be the most popular version. Too new to get on the SC yet :(