closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Using mobile in USA

Blog Entries

Using mobile in USA

We are travelling to the US in August and would like to have the mobile phone for Satnav etc. Last year I purchased a US Sim card from ebay and it worked a treat but did cost around £40 all in. Now I notice 'Three' offer a £15 pay as you go that is all you can eat data and this can be used abroad. Am i missing something or is this a cheaper and easier way to use my mobile in the US?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights View Post
    We are travelling to the US in August and would like to have the mobile phone for Satnav etc. Last year I purchased a US Sim card from ebay and it worked a treat but did cost around £40 all in. Now I notice 'Three' offer a £15 pay as you go that is all you can eat data and this can be used abroad. Am i missing something or is this a cheaper and easier way to use my mobile in the US?
    You can pick up a SIM card at any Walmart (everywhere) for .99 cents. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...n-Kit/34565627

The variety of prepaid cellular plans is endless, but the Straightalk/Walmart ones are probably the easiest for a visitor. From $15 to $250, pick your poison.
    http://www.walmart.com/browse/no-con...&browsein=true

Master
    I've got a 3 sim in my iPad and they treat useage in the states as part of your normal tariff "feel at home"

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roami...=1214306357859

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I've got a 3 sim in my iPad and they treat useage in the states as part of your normal tariff "feel at home"

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roami...=1214306357859
    This. If you're on 3, any calls, texts and data you use in the US comes out of your U.K. allowance at no extra fee.

Also, depending on the navigation software you use on your phone, the maps are stored locally, so you won't actually need a data connection unless you want to use real time traffic info. I downloaded Navigon for the US when I was last there on business, and used it on my work phone (with no US data connection) and it worked fine.

Download NavFree and pre download the maps you need before you leave. No data connection required. I used it in florida, look up the directions when you have a wifi connection and it will be pretty much faultless however it does store a certain amount of info on your device so will always get you there or thereabouts :)

Master
    I'm on Three and have used it in the States.
    It works exactly as if you were at home.
    Bear in mind this means if you call a U.S. number while you're there, it's charged as an international call as it would be if you were at home.

Co pilot.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Red face If you have a Vodafone contract, just pay £3 per day...

...and use your phone in the US as if you were at home (phone, texts. data). 'World traveller' package I think it's called.

Craftsman
    as others have already said 3UK prepaid sim is the best option - just load up £15 all you can eat bundle and away you go for 30 days.
    I've used this in quite a few countries in Europe already and its brilliant.

I used local tmobile sim in US couple of years ago and there was a lot of faffing about to get it working so no worth the hassle to save £5 difference or so.