closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tunisia - Brits told to leave now

Tunisia - Brits told to leave now

Clearly without going into politics we all know what's coming

What the hell are they going to do to stop this mayhem?

Where next?

Skegness it is this year I think.

On a serious note, those inside say another attack is imminent - it's such a pity to weaken what I'm told is a great country

As they said on the news, these attacks can happen anywhere at anytime and without warning, there have been attacks in Egypt and in Kenya, both popular tourist countries for Brits.

My daughter was so lucky this time, she was due to fly to Tunisia the day after the shootings for her holiday. She was initially a bit hacked off at losing a holiday the day before she was due to go, but when she saw the news and saw what had gone on, she realised just how lucky she was to be stuck here in Blighty. Your heart goes out to anyone who got caught up in that.

The problem is they cannot stop this mayhem and the terrorists are relatively free to pick us off at will.

I went to Goa in India in April and the plane took the long route over a dozen countries ending in stan and then over Iran. It wouldn't take the usual direct route because the terrorists have taken shots at planes flying over.

I think i'll join you in Skeggie !!

We considered booking for Tunisia earlier this year, but made a decision to avoid North Africa for now.
    We have had several great holidays to Egypt and Morocco over the years, but we opted to steer clear for a while. Obviously anywhere can erupt into trouble, but heading to a recent (and possible future) hotspot should be avoided.

On a lighter note, are we sure that Skegness is a safer option??!!

One bank holiday in the 90's with nothing to do we drove to Skegness, never having been there before we arrived at about 11:30 and after a short stroll our minds turned to food, our logic went seaside=fish and chips.
    Spotting a long queue outside one particular shop there was no doubt in our minds of the popularity of this establishment, it was a tattoo parlour, we returned home (without any tattoos or fish and chips) having stayed in Skegness for just one hour.
    I'm sure its really nice now.

I, and my two boys, really want to go back to Egypt next year for our holidays but the wife is saying no because of the terrorist risks... So they have basically won .
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I, and my two boys, really want to go back to Egypt next year for our holidays but the wife is saying no because of the terrorist risks... So they have basically won .
    Just like advertising, nobody thinks terrorism works on them, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Just like advertising, nobody thinks terrorism works on them, but it does.
    It’s a question of degrees though, of weighing up your own personal balance between risk and reward. There’s always some degree of risk from terrorism wherever you go (or are) but it needs to be kept in perspective, otherwise we’d all end up living in fear. :-(

Whilst I don’t know the statistics I’m pretty sure there many greater chances of being injured or killed by means other than terrorist activity.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The family and I am still going to Egypt in Oct (touch wood), but then I grew up in London during IRA bombing campaign, was in India the day of the Mumbai attacks, flew out of Schiphol to day the Malaysian Jet got shot down over the Ukraine and was flying over the Atlantic when Air India blew up so have decided to live my life rather than worry about what MIGHT happen.

I had a very nice golfing holiday in Tunisia a few years back - however I think the local taxis drivers are perhaps a bit more lethal than IS to be honest. Lovely people (with the exception of the said drivers).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It’s a question of degrees though, of weighing up your own personal balance between risk and reward. There’s always some degree of risk from terrorism wherever you go (or are) but it needs to be kept in perspective, otherwise we’d all end up living in fear. :-(

Whilst I don’t know the statistics I’m pretty sure there many greater chances of being injured or killed by means other than terrorist activity.

R
    Spot on, Ralphy. As with many irrational fears, the risks appear to be amplified because the consequences are devastating on the rare occasion that incidents occur.

Just imagine a suicidal gun-toting terrorist on a cruise ship!

Family has enjoyed three splendid holidays in Tunisia, as ever the world revolves around a few tw**s

Hello

There are risks in anything you do and anywhere you go these days.

I think the issue is that these days people are very quick to play the blame game. If there is another attack in Tunisia, the FCO and UK PLC will get hammered for not advising people not to go there.
    It is very difficult and you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think it is up to the individual to decide where they go and where they stay and do some good research before you go and keep an eye on things.

Regards to all,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    One bank holiday in the 90's with nothing to do we drove to Skegness, never having been there before we arrived at about 11:30 and after a short stroll our minds turned to food, our logic went seaside=fish and chips.
    Spotting a long queue outside one particular shop there was no doubt in our minds of the popularity of this establishment, it was a tattoo parlour, we returned home (without any tattoos or fish and chips) having stayed in Skegness for just one hour.
    I'm sure its really nice now.
    Should have gone to spec savers? Brilliant!

After quite a few hols in Tunisia and Morocco I wouldn't go back to a muslim country anymore, which is a shame because I really fancied a Nile cruise to see the sights of the ancient world.

That said, it is a big world, plenty of other places to visit.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    After quite a few hols in Tunisia and Morocco I wouldn't go back to a muslim country anymore, which is a shame because I really fancied a Nile cruise to see the sights of the ancient world.

That said, it is a big world, plenty of other places to visit.
    In the Bear Pit you'll find many who think fundamentalist Christianity just as bad as fundamentalist Islam; however in those places, you're far less likely to find yourself at the end of an AK going BAMBAMBAMBBAMBAMBAM!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    In the Bear Pit you'll find many who think fundamentalist Christianity just as bad as fundamentalist Islam; however in those places, you're far less likely to find yourself at the end of an AK going BAMBAMBAMBBAMBAMBAM!
    But this isn't the Bear pit so no place for religion.

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Totally brilliant

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Can't see how they win if the victims they want to murder don't go there.

Banned
    Makes you think

UK terror threat SEVERE

Tunisia threat level HIGH

Should I stay or should I go.