closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stroopwafels

Master

Stroopwafels

The most important and only food group needed.

Thank you Holland!

Master
    Saw them on sale in a Co-Op in Wareham Dorset yesterday. No longer just for the Dutch my friends, they are out in the British wild.

I saw them first. They are mine, all mine I tell you.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Ok I'll play - where can you buy them LIDL? They look as though they are worth a try.

B

I've bought them from my local Co-op. Have I got this right though: you put them on top of a hot drink to warm them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I've bought them from my local Co-op. Have I got this right though: you put them on top of a hot drink to warm them up?
    Yes mate, although ensure that the minimum diameter of the waffel exceeds the maximum diameter of the drinking receptacle before application.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Ok I'll play - where can you buy them LIDL? They look as though they are worth a try.

B
    Anywhere these days. LIDL / ALDI are cheaper and probably better value. They seem to come in two sizes - "coaster" size, and these mini-ones.

They are amazing!

They have them on the counter of reception at the Renaissance Hotel in Amsterdam, so always grab a few freebies.

Never knew you should heat them up before eating them - alas they are normally scoffed in the lift whilst going to my room.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    So, another export product!! Stroopwafels. 'Stroop' has to be pronounced like the 'o' in 'go'. And indeed: put them on top of you coffee mug. You can also cut them up in small parts and mix it through a bowl of vanilla ice cream...

The first time I spotted them abroad was in Edinburgh, back in 97 or 98! For those of you from Edinburgh: there was a coffee shop, a Starbuck-ish company located under a real estate office. Inside the coffee shop, the walls were covered with small pics and ads of houses for sale in and around Edinburgh. Remember, this was the pre-internet era where real estate agencies had to pull hard to get customers in. During that trip, it was the first time I tasted the Scottish shortbread biscuits. I remember a store with the biscuits displayed over a candle light, slightly heating the biscuits. Something I've copied when preparing stroopwafels!

We know Stroopwafels for ages, I think. Every Saturday at our local famers' market, there's a lady who makes them fresh for her customers: a waffle iron, special cookie dough and some syrup is all you need! In fact, you can find a stroopwafel bakery in every town, on every farmers' market. They come in more than two sizes: small ones, coaster size, large and in odd shapes, like Valentine's day hearts.

Here's a recipe in English - the only one I found after a quick search. Beware, we never make 'm. Buying is a lot cheaper. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/stroopwafels/

Menno

I'm getting major insulin spikes just by looking at the packaging...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    They are legendary amongst some of the expats who have experienced them from Dutch friends.
    My son will take a bagfull with him when he returns from his summer holidays in the Netherlands.
    Also bags with ´stroopwafel kruimels´. On the market, when making the fresh round waffels the corners are cut off and collected. Thrown in a bag with a dollop of stroop sold as treat at the stall.

Most Saturday afternoons there is a mobile stall in the centre of The Hague that does them fresh off the griddle. Even the smell of the caramel is enough to get me salivating.
    Cold out of the packet, they are just never the same.

I still have a packet of the exact ones above on my desk now though, don't you worry.
    Heerlijk :)

Craftsman
    These are very similar..... I get them from my local Spar shop....

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...toffee+waffles

regards

V

Yes!! I spent many years in Nl (Den Haag) and must have eaten..............well, a lot!

Holland's greatest invention.

I don't care where I get them from, but those from Holland do taste better. My dentist is very wealthy...........

And the Welsh have their own ones..

delicious they are too, Waitrose can supply http://tregroeswaffles.co.uk/ OOOOPPPS didn't notice the earlier post, but a BUMP anyway

I recently spotted them in my regular coffee spot in Bogotá, happy days.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I'm off to Wareham tomorrow will have to call in to coop and pick some up

I forced myself to go into Tesco* this afternoon, and bought some of the miniature variety. Obviously, warming them over a cup of coffee presents certain issues, so I've just tried a few au naturel, for research purposes.

They're a bit moreish aren't they? I might need to pace myself.

*Delighted to see that Waitrose have their own equivalent. Nothing against Tesco, apart from the way they treat their suppliers, and the class of clientele, obviously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

They're a bit moreish aren't they? I might need to pace myself.
    I ate the entire bag in about an hour. And that was me pacing myself.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    am working with some dutch at the moment, arrived in surit thani last night, one of the guys has brought out 16 kilos of them for the guys onboard ship!!!!!!

going into the same dive chamber as me so happy days!!!!

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    *Delighted to see that Waitrose have their own equivalent. Nothing against Tesco, apart from the way they treat their suppliers, and the class of clientele, obviously.
    To paraphrase Alan Coren, "I do like Tesco. It keeps the riff-raff out of Waitrose."

I believe that Alan referenced Sainsbury's in his original quote.

Journeyman
    But these are mini ones! They need to be full sized so that you can rest it on top of your mug of tea to gently warm through! Well, that's what I like to do with them anyway.

Now awaiting a thread about the next major Dutch food Group - the bitterball.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    They do taste very good with a nice warm drink, lots of the Dutch guys at work have them. The ones from Aldi taste just as good though I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Yeah! Or... the kroket. (croquet). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette

Don't go the route of the Zoute Haring met Uitjes (salted North Sea herring with chopped raw onions). I am the only one in our house who likes it. Don't think it's Sushi-like food. I like salted herring, but don't like Japanse sushi.

Food can be a funny thing. Years ago, we went to visit a (Dutch) friend of us. She was working as surgeon in a Parisian hospital. One night we went out for a dinner and ended up at Le Bouillion Chartier at the Rue the Faubourg in Paris. Our friend ordered stake tartare: raw meat with raw egg, onions and parsley. Across the table, there were other restaurant guests from the UK. It was in the late 90s when the UK had a problem with the Creutzfeldt-Jacobs disease (CJD). The British man and woman could't believe their eyes. And started a conversation with the three of us about the stake tartare & CJD. My wife replied with: "Just ask her what her profession is..." When they heared about her job as a surgeon, their were swepped of their feet, so to speak!

Menno

Blog Entries
    Yeah! Or... the kroket. (croquet). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquette

Don't go the route of the Zoute Haring met Uitjes (salted North Sea herring with chopped raw onions). I am the only one in our house who likes it. Don't think it's Sushi-like food. I like salted herring, but don't like Japanse sushi.

Food can be a funny thing. Years ago, we went to visit a (Dutch) friend of us. She was working as surgeon in a Parisian hospital. One night we went out for a dinner and ended up at Le Bouillion Chartier at the Rue the Faubourg in Paris. Our friend ordered stake tartare: raw meat with raw egg, onions and parsley. Across the table, there were other restaurant guests from the UK. It was in the late 90s when the UK had a problem with the Creutzfeldt-Jacobs disease (CJD). The British man and woman could't believe their eyes. And started a conversation with the three of us about the stake tartare & CJD. My wife replied with: "Just ask her what her profession is..." When they heared about her job as a surgeon, their were swepped of their feet, so to speak!

Menno

And all washed down with karnemelk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When we moved here, I made my own karnemelk and bitterballen. Our own zuurkool too and course Pindakaas with stukjes pinda... Ufff. Also thé best to make proper pindasaus! Proper Mosterd niet te vergeten!
    Luckily family would take what we wanted in exchange for the goats cheese I made.

Missed the zoute haring a lot. Still do. That does not travel well :-(
    When living in the Netherlands I would go to the coast and get an as fresh as possible one at a stall near the harbour fish market.

Another which I missed sóóó much is proper beer; Trappist!!
    Last year my gf found an occasional source for áll of the Trappists including Koninghoeve. She even bought me the proper glass.
    The same gf who brought me back to espresso btw.

Master
    Yes! Yes! I am. I am not alone. Love these. My sister in law is Dutch so I always have some around.

Master
    I'm afraid spot 2 and 3 are already taken.

Chocomel and poffertjes.

Master
    There's about 1000000000 calories per stroopwafel, but it just doesnt matter.

I dont think you'd need anything else to live on but stroopwafels, coffee and water.

The greatest contribution to human history by the Dutch? I think so!

Good thread, and after following this, I'm determined to get some tomorrow. I can choose from pretty much all the major supermarkets - where do I go for the best ones, please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Good thread, and after following this, I'm determined to get some tomorrow. I can choose from pretty much all the major supermarkets - where do I go for the best ones, please?
    Daelmans strowafels from Tesco, imho.

Master
    They all have their own version, I reckon, and they are all basically the same especially if you've never had one before.

Enjoy, and I apologise i advance for your new addiction and the subsequent breakdown of your marriage, loss of job and house and eventual life of crime in the pursuit of more stroopwafels.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    They all have their own version, I reckon, and they are all basically the same especially if you've never had one before.

Enjoy, and I apologise i advance for your new addiction and the subsequent breakdown of your marriage, loss of job and house and eventual life of crime in the pursuit of more stroopwafels.
    Ha and there's me thinking watches were dangerous :)

Ah.

**penny drops**

I've been ordering these in Starbucks for years. Had no idea what they were as they were kept in an unlabelled glass jar by the till. Knew they tasted rather good though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    I'm afraid spot 2 and 3 are already taken.

Chocomel and poffertjes.
    Ah poffertjes. We took a poffertjes-iron with us :-)

Fantastic blooming things, my favourite nibble with my late coffee, main problem is not eating them all in one go !!!!!

The coffee cup sized ones taste better than the small ones in the bags, IMHO ;))
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Daelmans strowafels from Tesco, imho.
    Daelmans makes an acceptable stroopwafel - even sold here in Holland. You can't go wrong with these. Daelmans also puts them in a tin can. When emptied, these cans are very useful as storage for nuts and bolts etc in your garage! Eating stroopwafels is good to keep your house nice and tidy!

You can order these tins directly from Daelmans! http://www.stroopwafelsbydaelmans.co...wafels-in-tin/

And...now we're at the subject of tasty food things in cans: did any of you ever tasted Appelstroop? Very tasty on a sandwich or on old cheese with rye bread!

Menno

EDIT: I told my wife about this thread. She came with another great food group: Gevulde Koeken (large, round cookie with a cruchy crust and filled with sweet almond paste).

Last edited by thieuster; 9th July 2015 at 06:35.

Had to see what all the fuss was about

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Had to see what all the fuss was about
    Brilliant - love it when a random thread on here makes someone actually go out and try something new!

So.... amazing right? Addicted yet? Are there any left???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Brilliant - love it when a random thread on here makes someone actually go out and try something new! So.... amazing right? Addicted yet? Are there any left???!!!!
    Yes they are f**king amazing!

And there are some left, managed (somehow) only eat two.

A question for thieuster, or anyone who knows; what's the difference between "Zoute Haring met Uitjes" and "matjes", please? Or are they the same thing? I've enjoyed the latter very much, but advise moderation as they're quite rich.

My favourite are Biona hazelnut or caramel , from suma

I didn't get a chance to pick any up today, so a couple of bags will be my Friday treat for my staff tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    A question for thieuster, or anyone who knows; what's the difference between "Zoute Haring met Uitjes" and "matjes", please? Or are they the same thing? I've enjoyed the latter very much, but advise moderation as they're quite rich.
    Matjes = mAAtjes (2 'A's) is a special sort of herring: young herring, caught between May and September. It has to do with the amount of fat in the body of the fish: Maatjes-herring has at least 16% and max 26% fat in its body. 'Maatjes' comes from an old Dutch word for virgin: this herring isn't old enough to produce roe or spawn yet(or is are these two words for the same in Enlish).

Nowadays, you can buy salted herring during all months of the year. But in that case it's not called Maatjes - as said, only the May - September version.

Back to the stroopwafel subject: earlier today, I went to the supermarket for the weekly shopping run. One of my kids came along with me and I told him to choose a desert for this weekend. So, his choice was... stroopwafel-vla. I have to explain 'vla': its a dairy product, much like yoghurt, but without the sour accents when you eat is. It comes in all sorts varieties: with strawberry flavour, vanilla, chocolate etc. And now, a company has introduced stroopwafel-vla with specks of real stroopwafel!

Vla is a funny thing: it tastes like ice cream or desert pudding but it's fluid. I only found a similar (and tasty!) product in Denmark. You pour it into a bowl and eat it with a desert spoon. Vla is a powerful instrument for parents when it comes to keeping things under control in their household: 'finish you dinner or it's no vla for you tonight!' Amazing product!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 10th July 2015 at 00:00.

Niiiiiice :)

Master
    Please stop it, I'm trying to cut down!!!

Resistance is futile!

Master
    Resistance is futile!
    I'm even starting to reconsider my choice of business travel provider since KLM stopped providing them.