closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: a classy pilot suggestion

a classy pilot suggestion

Hello TZers,

I wonder if you could help me out on my latest quest.... I'm trying to find a big crown classy pilot watch with super bright and long lasting lume.

If funds allowed I would go for the Zenith Montre d'Aeronef Type 20 Extra Special, but My current budget can only be stretched up to £1500.

Essential requirements are,

42 - 45 mm
    lug to lug no longer than 52mm
    Big and beautiful crown
    Generously applied superluminova

I don't mind manual or automatic wind, would love to have a nice display caseback but not essential.

I also really love the looks of limited edition Bremont WRIGHT FLYER SS or even the new Patek but thats completely different ball game which I won't be playing for a long time....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

.... Silly me!

Pictures for illustrative purposes

Last edited by silly; 8th July 2015 at 13:04.

Craftsman
    While not a "pilot's watch" per se the Omega Dynamic Chrono has a pretty similar aesthetic to some of these, is quite a rare/interesting bird and would come in just under 1000 GBP for a good example?

http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....ime-is-a-charm

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    While not a "pilot's watch" per se the Omega Dynamic Chrono has a pretty similar aesthetic to some of these, is quite a rare/interesting bird and would come in just under 1000 GBP for a good example?[/url]
    Thank you for suggestion, but I'm afraid its a bit on a small side... 39mm by looks of it.

Craftsman
    Yep fair enough, I missed that part of your brief :P

Archimede Pilot 42? Lug to lug 51mm, case width 42mm. 545 euros VAT included. Standard with display back, and numerous little upgrades made available for incremental price increases.

Last edited by TakesALickin; 8th July 2015 at 13:20.

Azimuth Bombardier? I'd be a bit careful though as my recollection (which may be faulty) was that one hung around SC for quite a while without selling so trading up in the future may mean a loss.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    Archimede Pilot 42? Lug to lug 51mm, case width 42mm. 545 euros VAT included. Standard with display back, and numerous little upgrades made available for incremental price increases.

I have an Archimede and love it

A great watch

Perhaps someting like a Longines Heritage Aviation?

http://www.longines.com/#!/watches/h.../l2-777-4-53-2

Those Longines are nice!

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Perhaps someting like a Longines Heritage Aviation?

http://www.longines.com/#!/watches/h.../l2-777-4-53-2
    I tried the one on the left on last year and the bezel was looser than a tart's knicker elastic - the lady in the shop couldn't be authoritative whether it should have been like this but I'd want to be sure before I spent any money. If the one last year was a one-off then I think they're quite good value.

If you can find one for sale...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    If you can find one for sale...

Would be my choice.

Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II, available in automatic or manual and either 44mm. Typical Steinhart build quality, ETA movement, no markings on the dial. I've had a couple (still have one now) and they are superb. You would still have some cash left over for something else!
    Last edited by Spencer Lee; 9th July 2015 at 13:53.

Master
    Take a look at the Tourby ones – http://www.tourbywatches.com/collection/pilot-vintage/

Hi guys,

Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner, was checking the thread on the phone. I really like that Precista and Longines, but can't seem to find the Longines anywhere for a decent price. The Watch Gallery had them on sale for under 900 pounds at one point now they shown as sold out... even Iconic seem quite pricey in comparison to that.

Regarding Steinhart, that would probably be my choice if I can't find something a bit more classy looking like Zenith. I seen Tourby before but not quite sure how they operate....

On other hand with my budget I could probably get a one off prototype done for exactly the style I want.... I know a dial maker and case maker here in UK.... quite a bit of hassle though....

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

... Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post

I really like that watch. For me, it is just a tad too big.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    On other hand with my budget I could probably get a one off prototype done for exactly the style I want.... I know a dial maker and case maker here in UK.... quite a bit of hassle though....
    That sounds very interesting... sometimes hassle is worth it, especially if to produce something that is actually unique.

Hi guys,

Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner, was checking the thread on the phone. I really like that Precista and Longines, but can't seem to find the Longines anywhere for a decent price. The Watch Gallery had them on sale for under 900 pounds at one point now they shown as sold out... even Iconic seem quite pricey in comparison to that.

Regarding Steinhart, that would probably be my choice if I can't find something a bit more classy looking like Zenith. I seen Tourby before but not quite sure how they operate....

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

... Silly me.
    There's one in Poland for around that price should you fancy a trip:

http://www.chrono24.nl/longines/heri...NL&SETCURR=GBP

Master
    I seen Tourby before but not quite sure how they operate....
    Similar to Steinhart and ChrWard – consumer direct sales, plus you can customise it with some of the options listed.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Similar to Steinhart and ChrWard – consumer direct sales, plus you can customise it with some of the options listed.
    There was a Tourby pilot watch on the sales corner a month or so ago, don't think it sold and at a good price maybe worth a look for the OP.

Master
    OP's a few posts and weeks short of seeing the SC – but if he's in no rush, it could be an option, assuming it's still there.
    Not everyone, as they should, bothers to amend their title to reflect the sold status!

Journeyman
    What about a Stowa flieger, all of the above with the history of being one of the original suppliers. Get it without a logo, even without one, mines had a fair few comments ( ie not commenting because they saw the logo!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I really like that watch. For me, it is just a tad too big.
    Actually, it sits reasonably small.

I have a 6 1\2 inch wrist and fits nicely

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    OP's a few posts and weeks short of seeing the SC – but if he's in no rush, it could be an option, assuming it's still there.
    Not everyone, as they should, bothers to amend their title to reflect the sold status!
    Oh ok using my phone so didn't see his post count. In that case Tourby direct are a good shout but they are not big sellers on the second hand market so make sure its a keeper, Stowa have a slightly better resale value and are equally very well built both will fit your budget just fine.

That being said, if you just want a big pilot style watch that's true to the original to try out before you spend big money why not just get a Laco? They even sell the big case version and have autos and hand winds, you cant get much more authentic than that.

Journeyman
    The steinhart suggestion mentioned earlier is an excellent choice. Stowa fliegers have excellent lume too, very decently priced and comes in different versions. But I think it might be a bit on the smaller size for you. So I second the steinhart suggestion

Here's an offering from Hamilton (H60515533) that I spotted in a shop earlier today:

It's 45mm diameter, ETA 2824-2, and very affordable at around $650.

Master
    How about a lovely Hanhart Chrono if you can find one. I was lucky enough to pick up a cracker from our very own ZIM a while back and it's become one of my favourite pieces of all time and always gets noticed when I wear it.

That Omega is gorgeous, any more details on its antimag properties? I see the soft iron plate but there doesn't appear to be any spec on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Here's an offering from Hamilton (H60515533) that I spotted in a shop earlier today:

It's 45mm diameter, ETA 2824-2, and very affordable at around $650.
    Good suggestion, one of my favourite watch designs

I've got the smaller 42mm version with a black date wheel fitted...

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    Good suggestion, one of my favourite watch designs

I've got the smaller 42mm version with a black date wheel fitted...
    I think that looks so much better with the black date wheel.

Craftsman
    I didn't like the Patek pilot watch when it was launched but it has really grown on me now, is there anything that looks similar but at a more attainable price ?

Charles Lindbergh

Douglas Bader

Johnnie Johnson

Guy Gibson

Adolf Galland

Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger

Its a long list.

Craftsman
    One in use. Nice watch and keeps good time.

This is my fav...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    How about a lovely Hanhart Chrono if you can find one. I was lucky enough to pick up a cracker from our very own ZIM a while back and it's become one of my favourite pieces of all time and always gets noticed when I wear it.
    I am a Hanhart fan, they are very underrated in my opinion. The archaic style is not for everyone but the quality is outstanding. They have 3 handers if the chrono is too chunky. All are 40mm watches. The chrono is mine and the other two are stock photos.

Master
    Very nice and apparently Steve McQueen used to wear them, that must make them hyper cool. Is it your only one. OP have you made a decision yet?

HI guys,

My sincere apologies for delay in replying to this thread. I was on holiday, and only had limited access to the net.

Firstly thank you for your suggestions of which some were really tempting, I had a chance to try on some Bremont models and have fallen in love with the 43mm Solo CR. Although it is quite a bit more than my original budget, I've decided to wait a little and put some extra money on side for it. There is something special about it.... The built quality and attention to detail is remarkable. It's funny as I really didn't think much of them when sat in the shop window, they seemed to say the least underwhelming, but once put on the wrist everything changed....

So now the hardest part to track one down once I get access to sales corner....

Below are some pictures for reference.... one on my wrist at the AD and other the exact model I will go for. I think the C3 lume will work better.

Good call on waiting for the one you definitely want. It may take longer to get it but it will save you cash in be long term. A mistake I've made a couple of times. :/

Sure you won't be disappointed with the Bremont! Just picked up the Alt1-P in blue, absolutely love it, will be posting pics as soon as I can

There is a Glashutte Original Senator Navigator on sales corner at present for circa £1650, you don't get much classier than that.....

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by paultje View Post
    There is a Glashutte Original Senator Navigator on sales corner at present for circa £1650, you don't get much classier than that.....

Paul.
    That sounds incredible, which exact model is it? I googled the navigator bit it seems to come in 4 different dial combinations... I dont have the access to SC yet, still got about a week and a few posts to go.

Never thought that I could own a GO.... but if its still up for sale by the time i get access i would be up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FellBasher View Post
    Sure you won't be disappointed with the Bremont! Just picked up the Alt1-P in blue, absolutely love it, will be posting pics as soon as I can
    Thanks and congratulations on your new purchase. Please do post some pics once you have time. Haven't seen the blue dial one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Good call on waiting for the one you definitely want. It may take longer to get it but it will save you cash in be long term. A mistake I've made a couple of times. :/
    I've made that mistake a few times too....

That sounds incredible, which exact model is it? I googled the navigator bit it seems to come in 4 different dial combinations... I dont have the access to SC yet, still got about a week and a few posts to go. Never thought that I could own a GO.... but if its still up for sale by the time i get access i would be up for it.
    It's the 39-11-07-07-04 and a beauty :)

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    It's the 39-11-07-07-04 and a beauty :)
    Thank you, I will look it up now.

I think i got my hopes up.... its 38mm a tad too small :(

Master
    Do pilots, as a rule, have problems with being able to tell the time? I stopped having any need for numbers on my watch when I was about 8 years old and I cannot accept that they make one iota of difference to anyone glancing at their watch. If anything, IMO, an Arabic dial is more cluttered and has a greater potential to confuse.

Journeyman

a classy pilot suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Do pilots, as a rule, have problems with being able to tell the time? I stopped having any need for numbers on my watch when I was about 8 years old and I cannot accept that they make one iota of difference to anyone glancing at their watch. If anything, IMO, an Arabic dial is more cluttered and has a greater potential to confuse.
    Yes, they are often sitting in a plane, often flying it, sometimes in poor lighting conditions (especially historically), being hustled around in the wind (try used to not be able to fly above the weather) the information needs to be very clear and uncluttered (with little/no room for error), it's the reason they are simple white on black, no numerals in those conditions could lead to a mistake, on position or fuel etc. they also follow the design of the dials (designed with the same demands)
    Last edited by giblets; 23rd July 2015 at 08:51.

If you're considering a B-Uhr... According to this review http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-a-watch-today the most recent Laco is very well built.