closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Building Contract for extension

Master

Building Contract for extension

Hi

Looking to put a contract in place with the builder for upcoming extension - anyone got a template I could take a look at? Or is there something that I can buy somewhere? Can't find the last one I used.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Not sure if this is what you're after?

It's the Federation of Master Builders contract, normally used by the contractor

HERE

I'm at work and bored, so just trawled the net, I have no experience of using this contract nor do I have any legal expertise.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Looking to put a contract in place with the builder for upcoming extension - anyone got a template I could take a look at? Or is there something that I can buy somewhere? Can't find the last one I used.
    Did this work for you last time? Depending on the size of your build, trying to impose a JCT contract on a builder will only persuade him to up his price to cover potential risk. In the UK, since verbal contracts are binding, I would concentrate on a relationship with a builder via trust rather than try to wrap one up in a contract. It will be you who ends up paying for the privilege of a contract that might be hard to enforce if real disagreements start.

The building industry always has risks, that's why you need a contract, particularly where big numbers are concerned. When things get ugly you need something better than "he said this, he said that".

Master
    Assuming you haven't appointed a consultant then use the JCT Homeowners Contract. If the builder won't use a contract then walk away and find one that will. Sure there are lots of great, honest builders out there but there are also lots of crooks. Relying on a verbal contact when spending thousands is way too much of a risk.

http://www.ribabookshops.com/item/jc...sultant/85525/

(For what it's worth I'm an architect so do have some experience on the subject).
    Last edited by benny.c; 8th July 2015 at 07:57.

Concur with my fellow professional above. The Homeowner contracts are simple and jargon free.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Concur with my fellow professional above. The Homeowner contracts are simple and jargon free.
    Cool, thanks very much. Although I'm comfortable with the builder (so far) I think it's good to have an agreement in place, even if it's hard to pursue through the courts etc should things get to that stage.

I presume with these contracts you can just add in drawing details etc?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Cool, thanks very much. Although I'm comfortable with the builder (so far) I think it's good to have an agreement in place, even if it's hard to pursue through the courts etc should things get to that stage.

I presume with these contracts you can just add in drawing details etc?

Thanks
    Exactly. The homeowners version without consultant input is a twelve page document requiring you to input customer and contractor details, description of the work to be done and what documents show the work, whether planning permission, building regulations and party wall submissions are required and who is dealing with them- you or the builder, what facilities you will provide to the builder, the price, including VAT, how you will pay the builder, either in a lump sum at the end, or in installments, noting the eminently sensible approach to only pay 95% of the price until such time the builder has rectified any defects, working period based on the agreed length of time the work will take, working hours, and the ability of either of you to start court proceedings if required.

All in all, for the cost of around £25, it is a worthwhile and simple document to pick up. Here is a link to the JCT website with subsequent links to both versions of the homeowner contracts.

http://www.jctltd.co.uk/category/home-owner-contracts

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Exactly. The homeowners version without consultant input is a twelve page document requiring you to input customer and contractor details, description of the work to be done and what documents show the work, whether planning permission, building regulations and party wall submissions are required and who is dealing with them- you or the builder, what facilities you will provide to the builder, the price, including VAT, how you will pay the builder, either in a lump sum at the end, or in installments, noting the eminently sensible approach to only pay 95% of the price until such time the builder has rectified any defects, working period based on the agreed length of time the work will take, working hours, and the ability of either of you to start court proceedings if required.

All in all, for the cost of around £25, it is a worthwhile and simple document to pick up. Here is a link to the JCT website with subsequent links to both versions of the homeowner contracts.

http://www.jctltd.co.uk/category/home-owner-contracts
    Hi

Quick follow up question - is it better to go for the download version or the hard copy?
    I couldn't find a phone number to ask JCT directly.

Thanks