closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Daytona value advice

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex Daytona value advice

My friend at work has asked me for some advice on his Dads Daytona, as he wants to sell. I really know nothing about these but said I would ask the forum. I said he should join but he told me he has no interest in watches and it is simply to find out for his Dad.

I haven't seen the watch but he has given me a few details. He said it is in very good condition, 20 years old or so, gold and steel, with the black face.

I believe this has the zenith movement. I don't think it has box or papers. He told me he had been offered £4000 at a pawnbrokers.

Any information that I could pass on would be useful.

Thanks

Condition and what needs to be put right in a service will have a huge effect on the price. It's not a model I've ever followed, but if you look at the price differential under the steel model for an older used Daytona, you won't go too far wrong - then add in new gold crowns (as a possible requirement), crystal, and a service and you won't be too far away. The Bi-metal Daytona could be a bit of a bargain buy, if you like the look.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Proceed with caution.

I sold a very nice one black dial 16523 for £6,799 a few months back BUT it came with boxes, original 1999 UK papers AND stickers, fresh from an £850 service by Rolex UK.

Without papers (whether this is rational or not is irrelevant) they are slightly harder to sell. Take away the Rolex service and the peace of mind / come-back security of buying from a dealer and you have some substantial bargaining chips....but sometimes these 16523s can be so rough that they can't be cheap enough. You need to know the pitfalls.

Beware bezels where the numbers and detail are worn, or there are deep scratches / dings on the edge. They cannot be well restored and a new one is mega-bucks.

No work can usually be done other than as part of a full service so I generally won't buy a Daytona in without allowing for a £1,000 or so of costs. Sure, it might test fine on all our machines but if it then fails within my warranty it's a heavy cross to bear.

Look also at the dial, especially around the sub-dial posts. Too often a watchmaker - including Rolex - will mark the dial when removing and reapplying the smaller hands.

Do the hands reset to your satisfaction?

Is the bracelet in good order? Is it an Oysterlock 78393 or the more basic 78363 without the safety clasp?

Both are reasonably strong bracelets, especially in steel, but the softer gold middle on your example can make you wonder if having Jo Brand's body on Carla Delevingne's legs was really so clever. Look for play between the links and twisting evident especially in those nearest the head. Little can be done to remedy either.

Don't take any comfort from the claimed offer from the pawnbroker. This is my turf and there are only a handful of us in the country with any competence to handle such pieces properly. Many of the rest have a distressingly poor level of knowledge and --- at the moment --- are desperate for what business they can scratch. This results in wholly erratic pricing, often too low but equally commonly too high for poor watches.

If you want to risk your money on this one, ask if you can do so on a 14-day return basis, bid low and I'd have my guys look it over for you for free. This, or walk away from what could be an expensive mistake.

Haywood Milton
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 5th July 2015 at 16:34.

Whatever it is 4 grand is a joke.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    Whatever it is 4 grand is a joke.
    Not seen the watch or defending a pawnbroker whom I don't know, but if the bracelet is bad (as well it could be), £4k could be well justified for a loose watch.

Worn bezel, scratched glass, movement in need of a service and marked dial could make it too much!

Consider again that I sold one with box and papers AND mint from Rolex service with two year's warranty for £6,799. Oh, and mine had the correct Daytona booklet, another £100 of value.

We can't say £4k was a joke without knowing the watch, but it certainly could have been a fair offer or even too much.

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 5th July 2015 at 14:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't going to buy the watch but just back from golfing with the guy and the watch looks in excellent condition. No scratches on the crystal and certainly not over polished. It looks like he has worn it 10 times maximum.

I really don't know what to offer but it really does look good.

I would take up Haywood's offer of checking it over before you commit yourself - if they advise walk away then do so, but if they like it, then you know you are getting a decent watch.

I am sure many second hand buyers would welcome a free examination from a highly respected team of experts.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quick pic

Oof, the older I get, the more these appeal to me!!

If he wants to sell it, I'll offer more than the pawnbroker did!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I cant believe how much nicer these are in person. The watch I've been most surprised with when seeing.

I have it at the minute but I won't be buying it unless I can sell my sd.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 15th July 2015 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

I'm with you! There was a time when I wouldn't go near YG. These represent really good value too compared to the SS models.

Nice looking watch, very similar (if not identical) to mine. It seems in good condition too. The 16523 is not a strong seller but if it has full B&P (like mine, BTW) if shouldn't be difficult to fetch at leas 6.5K EUR (about 4500 GBP).

Mine (not for sale, of course) says hi.

Master
    I DO NOT LIKE bicolour watches.............but I like that.

Yes it is an old mans watch.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post

I don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I don't agree.
    It's (most likely) because you are an old man yourself. And what you think will not have any effect on the fact that it is an old mans watch, and it shouts saggy scrotum.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    My friend at work has asked me for some advice on his Dads Daytona, as he wants to sell. I really know nothing about these but said I would ask the forum. I said he should join but he told me he has no interest in watches and it is simply to find out for his Dad.

I haven't seen the watch but he has given me a few details. He said it is in very good condition, 20 years old or so, gold and steel, with the black face.

I believe this has the zenith movement. I don't think it has box or papers. He told me he had been offered £4000 at a pawnbrokers.

Any information that I could pass on would be useful.

Thanks
    Buy it - it looks great

This was a friend of mines I borrowed to photograph for him, I have a SS Daytona but I really am tempted to chop it for a bi-metal, they are stunning

It's (most likely) because you are an old man yourself. And what you think will not have any effect on the fact that it is an old mans watch, and it shouts saggy scrotum.
    Not sure why, but the minute I read this an image of Jeremy Clarkson appeared in my mind.

If bicolour is an old mans watch - does that make the vintage sports models 'mid life crisis' watches - the same kind of people who feel the need to buy a Harley Davidson or a Porsche when in their 50s or 60s.

Craftsman
    I noticed Amanda Holden wearing one a while back and thought it didn't look too big on here; on that basis I would wear one so if your friend does want to sell I would also be interested.

Thank you.

I have exactly the same watch - bimetal with black face although mine is a 2001 model which has the Rolex movement.
    The photo that JPCain posted seems to indicate that the watch is in very good condition and on that basis £4000 looks like a good price.
    I had mine serviced about 12 months ago and a full service cost £750 - it now looks like new.
    I would agree that the gold bezel can pick up scratches and the gold sections of the bracelet being polished also pickup scratches/marks easily.
    No Daytona is really for the shy as they all look a bit blingy. The bimetal ones do stand out more than the SS ones.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    You don't half talk scrotum-contents.... I don't particularly like daytona, or most rolex. But more importantly I don't percieve anything from a watch. It's irrelevant to me.

I see people wearing this exact watch, and they're not all old. So by definition, it isn't an old mans watch.

Ps I'm 40.

Quick pic
    I've struggled to like the Daytona, but that looks gorgeous. Let me know if you do decide to sell it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just to clarify this isnt mine to sell, I was talking about buying it from a friend so he brought it to show me but left it with me to ponder. I dont have the money as the missus is making me buy a fireplace.

I wanted to advise him on the price as I didnt know. I thought about £5500 would of been my guess but people seem to think less.

Isn't every man's scrotum saggy after about the age of 14?

I'm not a fan of bi-metal either. The only ones that come close to floating my boat are the Speedy 57 or Apollo 15

Banned
    I dont have the money as the missus is making me buy a fireplace.
    Consider yourself lucky. Last year the missus made me buy a kitchen...

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Consider yourself lucky. Last year the missus made me buy a kitchen...
    B&Q?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    B&Q?
    No, bespoke with everything pretty much top of the line. Makes the price of a Daytona look like small change.
    Last edited by GrandS; 16th July 2015 at 22:09.

No-one is that old, surely?

Do whatever you have to do but just get it off the streets.
    Last edited by Ozyjohn; 18th July 2015 at 09:17.

If you have it serviced, you have papers from Rolex, 2 years of warranty...

Am sure the price for the service is not wasted, and chances to sell the watch are surely a lot higher!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by luwe View Post
    If you have it serviced, you have papers from Rolex, 2 years of warranty...

Am sure the price for the service is not wasted, and chances to sell the watch are surely a lot higher!!!
    This is good advice imo