closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drink drive question

Master
    Zero tolerance wouldn't work. It's too draconian, what if you went to restaurant and there a tiny amount of alcohol in the food.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Sympathy, why? Anyone with half a brain knows that 2 drinks is going to be pushing it. Why shouldn't it put you over the limit? Do you know anyone who has had a loved one killed by someone because of someone who is to selfish to leave their car at home or pay for a cab once they've had a drink?
    I sympathise because that amount is right on the cusp of legal/illegal. If you don't like that, it's the government to blame, not the driver.

Yes I do know someone actually - lost her mother and a sibling when hit on by someone who was leathered. It's totally different to 2 Coronas which I would argue is less dangerous than driving whilst angry or whilst smoking a cigarette, both of which are currently legal.

Quote Originally Posted by bruteawful View Post
    I sympathise because that amount is right on the cusp of legal/illegal. If you don't like that, it's the government to blame, not the driver.

Yes I do know someone actually - lost her mother and a sibling when hit on by someone who was leathered. It's totally different to 2 Coronas which I would argue is less dangerous than driving whilst angry or whilst smoking a cigarette, both of which are currently legal.
    I have no sympathy because that amount is right on the cusp of legal/illegal. If you're going to play Russian roulette with it don't moan about the consequences.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bruteawful View Post

You could be prosecuted for either for driving without due care and attention.
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/r...d_driving/#a30

The government set the rules, it's the driver's fault if they break them. If two is on the cusp, drink one or none.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Standard procedure, lower reading is the one used.
    I was referring to the second test 35 min later. That is not standard procedure - two readings are taken during the same session and the lower one is used. You don't take separate readings 35min apart. But the OP has explained the third reading.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Bit late to this threat but i always thought they took three readings at the station ,one after the other with the lower reading being the one used,i'm also wondering why the tests were taken so far apart ?

http://www.drinkdrivingsolicitor.co.uk/drink-driving/

makes things a bit clearer, will also help the op's friend with legal advice if he so wishes to take that route.
    Last edited by the big fella; 8th July 2015 at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    I purchased a calibrated breathalyser of the same make as a lot of police forces use and I was stunned at how much 3.1% bitter beer I could drink, if spaced at 45 min intervals and supplemented by food, without being over the limit. I'm a big guy but I was so surprised that I sent the unit back for a calibration check but it was spot on. I'm not going into details on a public forum and I wouldn't drive after drinking more than 2 beers anyway but lets just say I was amazed.
    I found the same! But of course the best advice is not to take the risk.

Edit: I wasn't driving when drinking and playing with the breathalyser!
    Last edited by Kirk280; 8th July 2015 at 22:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    But of course the best advice is not to take the risk.
    That's slightly worrying. The legal blood alcohol limit is not the amount you can safely drink without it impairing your driving. Any amount of alcohol impairs your driving, and you can be quite seriously impaired without being aware of it (alcohol also affects your judgment of your own capabilities). The legal limit is reasonably high; you can be astonishingly drunk and still be under the limit!

I don't think most of us would be happy to get on a plane piloted by someone who's had a couple of beers, and driving is much more dangerous than flying.

I think you misunderstood me - I was saying it's risky to drink any alcohol and drive, therefore don't!

I really doubt 2 bottles of Corona would put you over the limit by the time you reach a police station for testing. A lot of people say they only had one of two small drinks when in fact they drank a lot more, but just don't want to admit it..

There's no longer a blood option for what used to be up to 50 up of alcohol in 100 mltrs of breath.

One beer to blow 35 would make it the strongest beer on record or the drinker with the tolerance of a field mouse.

If you blow under at the police station you're a free man. Whatever the roadside machine said. The roadside is purely a screener not evidential. Although in the future that will change. .