closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko King Quartz and nice early QR Quartz. Bargains of the year.

Master

Seiko King Quartz and nice early QR Quartz. Bargains of the year.

I seem to live on e.bay these days. Gets a bit monotonous at times but just at the minute it's my only income and it gets the monthlies paid.

Anyway, spending all that time on there has its perks, like these little gems.

Two Seiko watches - long distance photo's showing no useful detail and pictured in a different branded box, bad title (just 'Seiko' and the serial number, rather than the model reference), none-existent description... everything wrong, basically.

Seller had good feedback over 100 or so transactions, so no concerns there as far as I was concerned.

The only little hint of what these were was the symbol on the dial above the 6 marker, which rang a bell, a bit like a "W".

I googled Seiko HEQ and similar watches popped up with the same mark, so I took a flyer and bid £20 each on them.
    The day of the auction these finished at 5pm, and at 4.30 while I was still the only bidder at 99p each I started to get a bit twitchy.

Upping my bid to £60 each I turned off the computer to stop me doing something daft and went for a pint.
    Got home, fired e.bay up.... And I'd won them. 99p each! (Plus an exorbitant £15 postage per watch )

Anyway, they arrived this week, I popped new batteries in them and both fired up like a dream!

The Seiko King is a 1975 model. Excellent condition but with a horrid cream strap.
    The QR is a 1974, absolutely beautiful condition and what I presume to be the original two-tone strap and steel buckle!!!

So, there are definitely still bargains to be had on e.bay folks.
    I'm well chuffed with these, my first vintage HEQ models - i'm ashamed to say they are definitely not anything I'd have bought at their average retail price given the style and size, but what a beautiful pair of watches they are!
    The King might already be finding its way out in a trade on the other forum, but that QR is absolutely gorgeous, I can't stop looking at the dial.

Here's the sellers photo's. Nice and clear, but useless in terms of detail.

And here's what arrived;

Banned
    Oh my... Thanks for sharing, I feel a bit sorry for the seller though...

Wow, bargains.

Very nice. Really like the King Quartz.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Oh my... Thanks for sharing, I feel a bit sorry for the seller though...

So did I at first, but they were very very lazy descriptions - it's easy to type 8 numbers into google to get a bit of information.

e.bay allow 12 free photographs per listing, these listings had one on each. Totally rushed, no care taken. A close up of the dials or the name 'King' in the title and these would have topped £100 each and then some.

If you were selling a car would you just put "Car for sale", or offer a model, mileage, condition etc.

Blog Entries
    Great finds, I'm Always looking at those vintage KQ's, but realise I'm not a real "vintage" man :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Nice one Kev, that white dialled one is lovely.....

Nice finds Kev, That king Seiko case looks quite similar to my GFA, Like yours I picked it up for peanuts on ebay

wook

Last edited by wookie; 6th July 2015 at 03:23.

Master
    Love it Wook, quite jealous that yours has the brick link bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Love it Wook, quite jealous that yours has the brick link bracelet.
    Cheers Kev, I actually bought the green one because I thought the bracelet might fit my 3863 pictured below but when I polished the awful acrylic crystal (since replaced) on the GFA and saw the lovely dial I knew the strap was going nowhere, Those Seiko snowflake dials are just stunning.
    wook

Sssshhhh you buggers ......otherwise everyman and his dog will be searching for the vintage Seiko quartz peices, one of the true last bargains to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Sssshhhh you buggers ......otherwise everyman and his dog will be searching for the vintage Seiko quartz peices, one of the true last bargains to be found.
    What vintage Seiko quartz pieces, There is no such thing