closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you want to wear your Speedy on a strap in the July heat...

If you want to wear your Speedy on a strap in the July heat...

...then I highly recommend Hirsch Performance straps:

[IMG][/IMG]

I read that they recently won a Red Dot Design Award and deservedly so I think.

I love the look of leather straps and now I can finally wear them in the summer.

Looks good, is that the 'James'?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Looks good, is that the 'James'?
    It is indeed. The colour works well with the aged tritium.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 4th July 2015 at 20:12.

Looks great, Jon :-D

...and because these straps are waterproof, they also work in the July rain.

Thats a brilliant combo. I do like the Hirsch Performance straps, but they're not exactly cheap.

They're £49 on Watch Obsession. I think Hirsch make very good quality straps, so you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    They're £49 on Watch Obsession. I think Hirsch make very good quality straps, so you get what you pay for.
    Ah, well that's decent value then - the one's I've looked at myself were a fair bit more than that (although also excellent quality, and as you say...).

The robby is £69 i think which is overpriced in my opinion (although a nice strap)

I think another good (budget) option is the di modell rallye

I've been wearing a 'waterproof' Brady leather strap on holiday, it's been in the pool everyday and has held up very well, comfortable and it dries quite quickly. Good value, however only available in black and dark navy and I can see it is not going to last particularly long.

I think these Hirsch Performance straps look very smart, and appear to be of a better construction. I'll be giving one a go.

I've been wearing a 'waterproof' Brady leather strap on holiday, it's been in the pool everyday and has held up very well, comfortable and it dries quite quickly. Good value, however only available in black and dark navy and I can see it is not going to last particularly long.

I think these Hirsch Performance straps look very smart, and appear to be of a better construction. I'll be giving one a go.
    I've tried a Brady strap. They're okay but the Hirsch straps are far superior in terms of quality, comfort and longevity. The leather outer/caoutchouc inner combination works brilliantly. Sometimes you do get what you pay for!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thats a brilliant combo. I do like the Hirsch Performance straps, but they're not exactly cheap.
    Thanks! I think one of the reasons it works is that the colour of the stitching matches the colour of the tritium. It's much the same as when you pick a tie to match the stripes of a pinstripe suit, it looks really sharp and somehow pulls the whole outfit together.

Oops, I appear to be channeling Gok Wan.

I like that combination too.

I have mine on a vintage look dark brown strap from Strapped for Time and that also works well.

I'll have to look into those, Jon - I normally wear watches on bracelets or NATOs in the summer but have found that the Di-Modell Rallye and Chronissimo seem to work well; I've even worn my PO on a Chronissimo for a dive without any apparent ill effects; the leather stays "soggy" for a while after immersion though. Ugh.

Master
    Gosh I like that too. Am wondering what a white Exp-II 16570 would look like on that strap.
    Last edited by Tom-P; 11th July 2015 at 01:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Sometimes you do get what you pay for!
    Indeed - buy cheap, buy twice. I've just placed my order :)

Looks good, but I am still more in for bracelets!

I have had a Speedie with the 1171 bracelet... very vintage, very nice :)

I had my U1 on a Robby. Agree they are fantastically well made and totally waterproof - but ultimately I found the Robby too thin to really balance the watch head. They also come with a choice of polished/Matt/pvd buckle, which also seem a step up in quality compared to most hirsch straps

Looks classy on that strap!

Looks good

Journeyman
    That's a good look. Unfortunately there wasn't that much heat in July :(

Thanks v. much for the tip, Jon. The straps arrived just before I left on holiday (I couldn't decide so I went for both shades of brown). I have been wearing the darker one all week in the humidity of the cloud forest and it has really lived up to expectations. Extremely comfortable, doesn't get sticky, and I think that it looks smart as well.

Journeyman
    Looks very smart, where did you make the purchase ?

Quote Originally Posted by karlamanda View Post
    Looks very smart, where did you make the purchase ?
    WatchObsession.

Master
    Are the Hirsch buckles removable/replaceable? Love the look of that dark brown, but the buckle looks a bit cheap IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Are the Hirsch buckles removable/replaceable? Love the look of that dark brown, but the buckle looks a bit cheap IMO.
    I'm sure that they are, I'll check tomorrow and report back as they are kept in my office (unless someone else comments in the interim).

Found a pic of my speedy...

I have a Hirsch Mariner strap for quite a few years and been wearing it on more than one watch, mainly during the hotter weather which of course is more than 1/2 year over here. I've also got a blue Hirsch Runner recently, also has the special 100m water resistant thingamajig lining.

The one irk I have with Hirsch is that I can never find shorter one, most are 120/80 and hardly ever a perfect fit.
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 22nd August 2015 at 18:46.

I'm sure that they are, I'll check tomorrow and report back as they are kept in my office (unless someone else comments in the interim).
    Yep, the buckles are removable. I agree that they aren't the best feature of Hirsch straps but they are easily swapped out.

Mr Curta, your Seamaster looks great on that strap. Sounds like you are testing it under more extreme conditions than my local festival beer tent too!

I'm a little late for July but where I live it will be hot until early October. I like the Jurgens tropical straps for hot weather, the rubber backing keeps you from sweating up the leather.

I do wish they still made the single rivet straps in 20mm though.

Yep, the buckles are removable. I agree that they aren't the best feature of Hirsch straps but they are easily swapped out.

Mr Curta, your Seamaster looks great on that strap. Sounds like you are testing it under more extreme conditions than my local festival beer tent too!
    Cheers, they hold up really well - I wouldn't mind testing it in the environment of a beer festival tent sometime though! .

Here's a photo showing the buckle for reference, I have just swapped for a TSS butterfly deployant (18mm due to the taper) on the darker brown strap and it works really well.

Master
    Thanks for the replies gents, I've ordered a Hirsch and a JPM from watchobsession. I'm hoping one, if not both, suit the Apollo 45th Anniversary that I've just acquired.

Master
    My straps arrived today .

I think the Hirsch James is the pic of the 2 I received;

I might exchange the JPM for the James in the lighter shade of brown to give it a more casual look too.

What an excellent match, that looks great!

What an excellent match, that looks great!
    Agreed, that's a great combination.

Journeyman

[QUOTE=stefaulkner;3619020]My straps arrived today .

I think the Hirsch James is the pic of the 2 I received;

I might exchange the JPM for the James in the lighter shade of brown to give it a more casual look too.

It looks great!!! Congrats

Wow some crackers here.

Looks like the Hirshc Performance straps are now available in two sizes: Long (120/80mm) and medium (110/70mm).

They were only available in one size (long) when they were introduced. Good move I say!.

Looks like the Hirshc Performance straps are now available in two sizes: Long (120/80mm) and medium (110/70mm).

They were only available in one size (long) when they were introduced. Good move I say!.
    I noticed that, and bought the 'medium'. I'm on the fifth hole (from the pointy end) of the eight, on my 175mm/6¾inch wrists. Seems about right, I think that the extra 20mm of the 'long' would leave too much excess for me. Thanks again for the heads-up in the first place, BTW.

I noticed that, and bought the 'medium'. I'm on the fifth hole (from the pointy end) of the eight, on my 175mm/6¾inch wrists. Seems about right, I think that the extra 20mm of the 'long' would leave too much excess for me. Thanks again for the heads-up in the first place, BTW.
    We have similar sized wrists but the 'long' was the only size available when I ordered mine. I wear it on the 7th hole (from the pointy end) and there is some tail, but luckily not too excessive. I'd probably get the medium next time though.