closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Regulator Watches...

Regulator Watches...

Seeking feedback from anyone who has a regulator style watch as part of a wider group of watches. If you wear a regulator type in between 'normal' watch types does the regulator become a hassle to interpret the time from, at a glance, or does one get used to it ?

I have long fancied a regulator but it would be the only 'non standard' dial type in a collection of a dozen or so and I am worried that each time I check the time I'd be staring at the watch for 20 seconds to decipher it.

Regulators have the hands (minutes, seconds, hours, date) on different axes for movement simplification and improved accuracy (so the branding goes); heres a couple I find very appealing...

Last edited by TimeThoughts; 3rd July 2015 at 23:00.

While I don't have a regulator I have had one hand watches in the past and they are easy to get used to. I don't think a regulator would be any more difficult to read than any other complex dial.

I love the regulator look though and may pick one up myself one day. Also have a look at Sinn, Chronoswiss and Union Glashutte.

if it takes you more than .5sec to read the time shown on the 2 pictures above I wouldn't chance it. best stay away from 24hr dials too, they will fry your mind

seriously mate, look at the pictures. how difficult is it for you? of the 2 shown I would go for the Alpina just because it is bolder in lay out and if you do struggle to read them then this one probably presents your best option. you could always grab one of the sea-gull offerings as a cheap tester, if you don't like it then its a cheap lesson over the loss on the higher priced options.

Having had this awhile don't notice any difference to any other watch, thinking about it I look to the minute then the hour as I would on any watch.

Never having owned one so my comments are of little value in the scheme of things, but I'm not prepared put in the extra time (forgive the pun) even of a few seconds to tell the time, clocks and watches have 2 hands for at a glance convenience, so at best for me regulators and single handers are an interest in dial legibility, some of which are the equivalent of a Vivian Westwood creation.

Have never owned a regulator but do own a jump hour and think same applies.

You adapt to it quicker than many would expect and I wouldn't say there's much if any difference in glance reading.... but, I do find after wearing my regular three handers/ chronos for a few weeks in a row I kind of need to re-adjust back to glancing at the jump hour(probably only talking a couple of seconds here over maybe the first half a day wearing it). No big deal but for me at least if you aren't wearing it for lengths of time it can make it less instant glancing the time for a bit if constantly mix it up with traditional timepieces.

I have a Sinn Regulateur....I've never considered the time it takes to tell the time on it....just like any other watch. I have noticed that some regulators have a busier or less easy dial to read due to hand styles but that's the same with any watch

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I have long fancied a regulator but it would be the only 'non standard' dial type in a collection of a dozen or so and I am worried that each time I check the time I'd be staring at the watch for 20 seconds to decipher it.
    That made me chuckle.

I have a Dornbluth Regulator - http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php?...n&s=refcal_reg

I wear it in rotation and, when it is on my wrist, I find that the first few times I check the time it does make me 'recalibrate' (read: take longer!) the way I read my watch; however, after that, it seems to make perfect sense and it becomes normal.

For me, a collection is about diversity and the Regulator has a trump card that none of my other watches has.

I have a Dornblüth Regulator as I have no problem to read, it take a little time to get use to but then it feels like a regular watch.

This one (not a regulator) is a little more tricky to get use to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    I have a Dornblüth Regulator as I have no problem to read, it take a little time to get use to but then it feels like a regular watch
    Sir, everytime I see your name in a post on this forum or others I'm drawn to it like a moth. Your photos are always exceptional.

I reckon I'd have the manual in my top pocket to cross reference the Nord ! Technical stuff !

I'm not a fan of regulators, but that Dornbluth is something special.

I like the idea of a regulator and have looked at the Chr.Ward C8 on more than one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    I have a Dornblüth Regulator as I have no problem to read, it take a little time to get use to but then it feels like a regular watch.

Wow, this has to be one of the nicest watches I've ever seen , unusual and simply stunning! Great photo too.

Now that as a regulatorv works, very legible.