closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which submariner?

Which submariner?

I know this has probably been asked and asked again but.....
    My next watch purchase will likely be:

Rolex submariner date black dial

There are LOADS of models about (the market seems to be flooded with 16610s which would suggest that there were a hell of a lot of them produced)

I want something to wear and enjoy for 10-20 years but also I'd like it to hold its value as well as possible and maybe even appreciate against inflation.

I will probably pass this onto my son when he's old enough to appreciate it (possibly in the hope of igniting interest in collecting)

My budget will be a maximum of 5k

So.....
    Do I need to be looking for an older watch or something newer?
    Are there model numbers that I should avoid/look for......

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance

Master
    Blog Entries
    16610 IMHO is the nicest case design of the modern Subs - better than the ceramics.

But who knows where prices will in 20 years. From my experience My Tudor and Rolex watches appreciated nicely between the seventies and recent times, and a 16610 also appreciated slightly from 2006. But I have always had my Rolexes serviced 5 yearly by Rolex which affects return. But I did all that before joining the forum - I just enjoyed them...

ATB

Jon

I know you wanted a date sub, but the attached link shows that you can pick up a brand new watch for well below Authorised Dealer prices, they also have a ceramic date Sub on their site.

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/3186

With regards to future value, if you keep the watch for the long term and pass it on as you say, chances are you are not going to lose to much if anything, but unfortunately that is a crystal ball job.

I would check out Blowers and Miltons websites as a good place to start.

Why not buy the one you prefer?

Anyone know anything about the 14160?

Would I be better trying to find an older or s newer model?

How important is it to have the box and papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I know you wanted a date sub, but the attached link shows that you can pick up a brand new watch for well below Authorised Dealer prices, they also have a ceramic date Sub on their site.

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/3186

With regards to future value, if you keep the watch for the long term and pass it on as you say, chances are you are not going to lose to much if anything, but unfortunately that is a crystal ball job.

I would check out Blowers and Miltons websites as a good place to start.
    Blowers and Milton both great value!

You've £5k so you can buy just about any 14060, 114060, 16610, 11610 or 16600. You may even be able to find an116600 for your budget (or certainly just above).
    Any one will be a great watch which you'll lose little or nothing on if you chose to sell it. If you want to pass it on yo your child then the resale is irrelevant.
    So my advice would be to buy the watch you like and enjoy it.

Master
    I prefer the ceramic although I seem to be in the minority here excellent quality and in my opinion better in every respect than the old ones

Craftsman
    16610 case is perfect.

116610 dial, bracelet and insert are superior.

Old case shape with modern technologies would in my opinion be the ultimate watch.

Hopefully Rolex will in the future.

So many to choose from
    You need to know what you like.
    Fine to ask questions but do some research to see what you like and then ask more pointed questions.
    Vintage/ modern?
    Ceramic/ non ceramic?
    Decision cannot be made based on market desirability and potential to hold value/appreciate but what will give you
    More pressure wearing.
    Ofcourse, having box papers is always benificial but comes at a cost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    16610 case is perfect.

116610 dial, bracelet and insert are superior.

Old case shape with modern technologies would in my opinion be the ultimate watch.

Hopefully Rolex will in the future.
    They've made the 116600 Sea-Dweller, and yes it is

What's the premium on a pre-owned sea dweller?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the model and condition/bp's etc.
    16600 3.8/4.5 ish.

Just go for what you prefer. Subs and dwellers are difficult to go wrong with on the proviso that they're not overly polished with trashed bracelets and various other annoyances, all of which you can avoid by doing your research.

Master
    Try them all, see which tickles your fancy.

For me, I'd be looking for a 16610LV. Kermit.

I've got both a 2003 16610LV and a 2001 16600 sea dweller. Both are great watches, but very different.

The sea dweller weighs Considerably more and because of this it always made the sub feel less substantial (of course it's not really). Maybe this is why I've only worn the sub twice in 12 years!..also green is not always the best colour to match

the best recommendation would be to try some on and see what you like..ceramics are without a doubt better watches but to a certain extent they leave me cold (that's coming from someone who wears a deepsea as a daily!..It would be the first to go!)
    Also checkout Hackett watches and watchfinder.

ultimately you'll never lose on an SS Rolex but the most important thing is to buy what you like

Quote Originally Posted by leahorsfall View Post
    Personally, i prefer the SD to the Sub because i don't like the cyclops, the sites you have checked have a good range of SD and SD Deepsea models. Have a look at the attached, although a bit above what you wanted to spend it is a superb watch and the full 60 min markers on a ceramic insert are just the business.

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/3007

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Try them all, see which tickles your fancy.

For me, I'd be looking for a 16610LV. Kermit.

Good call. I wear one of mine with the bezel swapped out for a black one, and it's close to, perfect for me.

As a one watch - I'd still take the 16600 SD.

If I was newer to watches, and Rolex, I'd be buying a like new but used ceramic Sub Date 116610 (I'd even consider the LV, as I own one), or a new ceramic SD - but you'd struggle to get the SD for under £5k and you'd get a mint Sub date for under £4.5k. I'd also consider the GMTc, and the 42mm Explorer - but I wouldn't consider 16610, I've owned a few and just think the 16600 SD and 16610LV are better watches.
    It's just a matter of time...

Holy crumpets batman I didn't realise you could pick up a nice SD or DS for that sort of money!? That 80's beater on miltons... I could definitely keep it in a manner to which it was accustomed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Holy crumpets batman I didn't realise you could pick up a nice SD or DS for that sort of money!? That 80's beater on miltons... I could definitely keep it in a manner to which it was accustomed.
    You could always get Woodhouse to fit a new crystal ;)

As has already been stated you are in the fortunate position to be able to afford most of the Sub models, I have owned all of those mentioned and have flipped all bar my recent purchase my 116600 SD ceramic.

IMHO this model exceeds all the others so if i were you, though it is all on personal choice, i would add another 500 or so to your fund and go for it.

However as Omegamanic states the 16600 SD is a great watch and ichaice currently has a belter for sale on SC, I am sure if you PM him he would send you some pics to drool over.

Good luck with your search and hope you get what you are looking for.

Regards.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    As has already been stated you are in the fortunate position to be able to afford most of the Sub models, I have owned all of those mentioned and have flipped all bar my recent purchase my 116600 SD ceramic.

Regards.

Keith.
    Give it time!

The latest ceraminc one? There have been a few for £5k and they seem to be selling quickly at £5.3k privately. Heck of a watch for that money, great case, dial and technology and also future proof against trends for small or large sizes. They are 'just right'.

I think a buy at close to £5k would make a lovely heirlooom.

Master
    A few for £5k? Where? I think the lowest I've seen was £5500 on here...

I guess I'll know when I get time to try one on......

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    A few for £5k? Where? I think the lowest I've seen was £5500 on here...
    There was one on here for £5k which sold in 5mins, two or three on SC for £5.3'ish.

Edit - marksh had one for sale on SC recently for £5375, I don't have time to search back further!
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 4th July 2015 at 11:21.

I guess I'll know when I get time to try one on......
    If you just bought that 46mm Navitimer, throw the Deepsea into the mix... I sold mine at £5k and I remember one went for £4.8 on here...

The superlative dive watch, pushing the boundaries of what cases of mechanicals can be made to withstand.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

The superlative dive watch, pushing the boundaries of what cases of mechanicals can be made to withstand.
    Agreed.

Splashes of champagne spewing at great velocity from the newly opened bottle. High impact with finely crafted Germanic automobile doors. Severe abrasions brought about by extensive rubbing against a leather padded desk surface. Watch to watch contact brought about by vigorous high-fives with other intrepid urban divers. The list goes on... and how Rolex managed to build a watch to withstand this abuse amazes me.

(Disclaimer - tongue firmly planted in cheek and deference to the few members (Mike, Tekbow and others) who actually use these watches in the ideal environment)

As for the OP - spend some time looking in windows and trying on the models that you like the style of. You'll soon end up with a short list of those that not only look good but actually wear well on your wrist. Residual value of a Rolex stainless steel sports model is among the best, therefore, you'll struggle to go far wrong with any purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    There was one on here for £5k which sold in 5mins, two or three on SC for £5.3'ish.

Edit - marksh had one for sale on SC recently for £5375, I don't have time to search back further!
    I believe that the only reason the one was advertised for 5k was that the seller had an unforseen crisis and needed the funds, I also think he was inundated with PM's re it.

The one sold by marksh was also a true bargain, a beautiful watch and is currently on my wrist in Lanzarote :-)

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    I believe that the only reason the one was advertised for 5k was that the seller had an unforseen crisis and needed the funds
    No doubt. I sold my Deepsea as I needed £5k to go towards another watch. We all sell our watches because we need the funds for something else, don't we?

I don't normally respond to threads like this as I find them a bit jejune.

A number are posted as trolls posts just to get some reaction or by people trying to up their post count for obvious reasons.

I am not saying the OP is either but his profile would fit. It is not like some long standing member posting, when you could be reasonably assured it was a genuine query.

However, assuming the best for the OP!

You want to spend 5K on what? An object or a name apparently as you have not queried anything about it as a functional watch. I am pretty sure if you want it mainly as an object, that will keep its value or appreciate over your ownership lifetime, you can do far better than a watch. You would need to research and discover things but of course, if you are serious, that is what you should be doing also with watches as well and not relying on what an internet stranger may opine.

If you don't want to lose a lot of money on purchases and that is one of your main drivers, you need to know your market, have some idea of past trends and try and predict future trends based on whatever factors you can discover.

Surely part of the fun of a hobby is doing this and there is more satisfaction derived from making good choices.

Regarding this Rolex. You have to factor in it will be costing you about £200 compounded in lost interest a year, plus about £100 a year in maintenance, assuming nothing major goes wrong with it. So in ten years you need to be able to sell that £5k Rolex for north of £8k to just break even.

Is this likely? Personally I wouldn't be confident. It is a mass produced product and far more are produced now than were in say the sixties. Also Rolex' have become more recognised as possible collectors items since then. A good thing then for future value? Well it is for the watches made in the sixties for sure. Not so much for current watches. People, being much more aware of the possible collectibility, are now far more likely to keep them as possible collectibles and give them little or no wear, unlike most of the sixties Rolex' which got normal wear.

Having a lot of people with mint items is not a good thing for future value actually. Collector mania mainly arises from rarity, combined with desirability.Having a mint current issue Rolex in ten years is going to be extremely common not rare, it still may be a desirable object but if it nearly as common as a new one why wouldn't people just buy newer, with a warranty and less chance of going wrong?

If you do wear it regularly, to try and get some functional value out of the money you have spent, then of course it will be worth even less as it will show some damage or have some rounding due to polishing to keep it shiny.

If your main reason is to wear a well made, comparatively, accurate watch, that is going to give you a good feeling and a bit of an ego boost when you wear itthen go for it. If it is to keep pristine and make money, don't.

Mitch

Which submariner?

And if this was going to be my pension pot I'd be a loon.....but it's not!

I don't fully appreciate the mechanics....will never take it diving.....but would rather have a Rolex on my wrist than a Tudor.....
    I intend to buy a sub, a speedy and a carrera.......

I probably won't buy them in sc so my post count is irrelevant.....tbh the post is on here because I'm enjoying the advice, banter, info that I'm soaking up in listening to everyone else's opinions!

I bought a baume in NY in December and a new navitimer last week ( AGAIN having asked for advice on here)......didn't need SC For either purchase!!
    Last edited by leahorsfall; 5th July 2015 at 18:46.

Is this question now a weekly feature?

Maybe there should be a FAC forum

With new members joining all the time isn't it inevitable that some topics will get raised by people that have been discussed before. Logically the longer you are a member the more times you are likely to see these repeat questions.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is unfair to have a go at any OP because they raise a repeat question. I do however think that some OPs could help themselves by doing some research on their chosen topic before posing what appears a very basic question.

Craftsman
    I ve had a 16610, 116610, 16600sd and a 116610Lv and I can say the 16610 and 16600 definitely have a more balanced design feel to them. If you want the best of both worlds I d say a early 16610lv is the one to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    With new members joining all the time isn't it inevitable that some topics will get raised by people that have been discussed before.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    I ve had a 16610, 116610, 16600sd and a 116610Lv and I can say the 16610 and 16600 definitely have a more balanced design feel to them. If you want the best of both worlds I d say a early 16610lv is the one to have.

Which submariner?

Well, took the plunge.....today I bought this 16610 (2007) sub date.....
    Am over the moon with its size, weight, how it sits....

Cost me £4800 with box and papers and it's in mint!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Congrats nice watch!

Seems very expensive - but a lovely watch all the same.

Craftsman
    Very nice mate, congrats. Does seem very expensive though!

Great watch, my personal feeling is that you can't go wrong with 16610.

Nice but does seems quite a bit overpriced. Where did you purchase it ?

Ouch!

I sold one on here a few months back for £3350 and that a was mint full set.

Nice watch but Christ that's eye wateringly expensive.

The watch is worth what someone values it at and is therefore willing to pay for it. This one was worth £4,800.

OP, you paid £4,800 and presumably were happy to do so. Now go and enjoy the watch and forget about the wonderful effect compound interest would have had on £1,450. :)

Which submariner?

I went away and looked at sites such as watchfinder and blowers to see how much similar age/condition sub dates are selling for with box and papers and everything I saw on an (admittedly quick) scan was over 5k

It was marked at £4800 and I managed £300 off....and got my wallet out....

Anything under 5k appeared to be no papers or no date!

The other thing is I wanted to go in, try on, walk out with it on my wrist.....I'm not one for remote buying!

Think I've paid over the odds?
    Last edited by leahorsfall; 13th July 2015 at 20:18.

I think that is about an average price for that reference from a good dealer - you could have got an example for less (or paid more) but looks as though you have an excellent/near mint example with all the accessories so you should be pleased with that - as previous poster advised best to just enjoy the watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bloody hellfire 4800.

The trouble is OP, everyone on here sees prices on SC as the norm whereas they are usually at or below what a dealer will pay.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=338642

So when someone buys from a dealer at a reasonable dealer price, it's seen as expensive.

£4.5 k from a dealer for a late model full set is a decent price. Enjoy the watch, you'll not be disappointed.

Think I've paid over the odds?
    Only by a grand, nothing to lose any sleep over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The trouble is OP, everyone on here sees prices on SC as the norm whereas they are usually at or below what a dealer will pay.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=338642

So when someone buys from a dealer at a reasonable dealer price, it's seen as expensive.

£4.5 k from a dealer for a late model full set is a decent price. Enjoy the watch, you'll not be disappointed.
    Heh, spot on. We are spoiled by SC prices but as long as what goes around comes around then all is good in the world.

I paid 3200 for my mint 16610...