closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A watch without box or papers, worth a punt?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

A watch without box or papers, worth a punt?

Gentlemen

I'm looking for something to wear as a daily wearer, to stop the Daytona from getting unnecessary damage & bloody scratches! There's a few on SC that have caught my eye, one being without box & papers.

As a daily wearer, is it such a big deal? I doubt I'll be selling it in the foreseeable future if I buy it. It just poses that old dilemma that it's not complete. I'm sorely tempted, but there's that nagging feeling.

Over to you.

Cheers

Adam

I personally don't care about box or papers if watch is more than 5-10 years old. B&P, of course is nice addition, but not worth my money.

Master
    What budget we talking about?

Up to a grand wouldn't bother me but over that and if a desirable piece then it helps. As you said you prob won't have any intention to sell so id make the most of it and grab a bargain :)still amazed at the rate nice watches pop up on here! Bloody excellent :)

Grand Master
    Provided the watch is 'right' and the price is OK I don`t see a problem. The box & papers thing is over-rated IMO, it's the condition of the watch that matters most. Personally, I`d prefer to see some service history and an immaculate watch without papers than a scruffy example with the box, papers, hang-tags etc.

Check that all bracelet links are present, when boxes go missing the spare links often go too. Obvious, but folks get caught out on this.

Paul

Master
    I owned a Rolex Sub 14060 at the time I bought your 5513 (which I still have btw). I had bought it loose though it was in excellent condition. I owned it for some time before letting it go, through this forum, selling to someone who'd seen it at a GTG. Having no box and papers didn't bother me, but they do help with resale. As an owner, all they do is sit in the cupboard until/if I choose to sell it on. Providing the purchase price is right and there's no reason to doubt the condition, accuracy or validity of the watch I don't see a problem. The older the watch, the less likelihood of owners having retained the box and papers in any case.

Ant

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I owned a Rolex Sub 14060 at the time I bought your 5513 (which I still have btw). I had bought it loose though it was in excellent condition. I owned it for some time before letting it go, through this forum, selling to someone who'd seen it at a GTG. Having no box and papers didn't bother me, but they do help with resale. As an owner, all they do is sit in the cupboard until/if I choose to sell it on. Providing the purchase price is right and there's no reason to doubt the condition, accuracy or validity of the watch I don't see a problem. The older the watch, the less likelihood of owners having retained the box and papers in any case.

Ant
    Cheers Ant!

Glad the 5513 is getting the airtime, at least it's getting used!

Cheers

Adam

Box and papers are typically towards the bottom of my list when buying a watch, especially a vintage one. In some cases, lack of box and papers is the best part of a deal (i.e., I don't need to pay bucketloads of money for some extra stuff that's going to be stashed away in my loft forever).

Master
    I tend to prefer box and papers but if i pick the bones out of it, its probably a bit irrational. I never look at the things once i have recieved the watch and placed it in my watch box.

I have bought a couple of watches without B&P; both from SC, both less than a grand, both in beaten (but honestly described) enough condition that the B&P were of no real consequence and i was confident with the deals and sellers. ive not been stung so i would do it again.

Blog Entries
    If they are there great but not a deal breaker for me providing the price reflects.

I have purchased both with and without on SC as well as sold, the most recent being my 14060, price was reflective and an excellent price entry point into Rolex Subs

Go for it.

Paul

Craftsman
    This is a really helpful thread.

Having not spent more than a few hundred pounds on any particular watch, I always assumed B&P was a bare minimum for every purchase.

Will !ore comfortably consider those without, with sensible caveats

A watch without box or papers, worth a punt?

Doesn't worry me beyond it is nice if they're present.

The ones I have bought with boxes just clutter up my already cluttered wardrobe...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

If watch checks out and good condition and price then no probs for me

Craftsman
    Unless you are planning to wear box or papers, why worry about them?

-OD

Banned
    Wouldn't touch one TBH far too many OCD's about trying to knock off hundreds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Wouldn't touch one TBH far too many OCD's about trying to knock off hundreds.
    Different markets, to be honest. There are those for whom uber-originality, including the original receipt, swing tags, etc is the key. Fair enough, if that's what you like, and these watches will command the best price on resale.

I prefer no B&P - I don't resell, and my watches tend to be worn daily, so they pick up scrapes along the way. The idea of a drawer queen, full B&P just doesn't interest me.