closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another Manchester smash and grab - Arthur Kay in Manchester

Master

Another Manchester smash and grab - Arthur Kay in Manchester

Two people on a motorbike took the opportunity to smash the window of Arthur Kay on St Ann's Square this afternoon during a bomb alert at M&S across the way. I've not looked in their window recently, but they often have some used Rolexes on display amid the lower-end new watches. Some bystanders took video footage on mobile phones and one reportedly threw a full can of coke at them...

It seems these kind of robberies are becoming more common, though it could also be that similar robberies are leading to copycats.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....obbers-9575887

Ant

Craftsman
    What is it with all these watch thefts lately?

Its not going to be opportunistic is it ? Far more likely that they started the bomb alert to create a diversion
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

What did they smash the glass with? Surely it's toughened safety glass, so short of using a JCB, you're going to struggle to break it?

Shocking. I must of just missed it as was around the corner from here at about 4ish.

Bloody shocking ,its like robbing jewellers is the new form of bank robberies.

Would it of potentially be possible for a member of the public to have pushed the bike over when it was stationary with the guying on it? (one would have to be pretty brave)

Master
    Never good to see robberies like this.

I popped in a few months ago to ask about a SubC they had in the window. Turned out it was one which was stamped & dated from the Rolex AD opposite with a date some four months earlier. The young sales-woman said it was extra Xmas stock from that AD and got quite upset when I innocently mentioned that made it a "grey watch" (not sure she understood the meaning). She then really pushed the "you should put a deposit on it TODAY because it is very likely to sell" line until it got a bit awkward. It'd been in the window for nearly 4 months, and was still there a month later.

Anyway, lets hope the thieving scum get caught and get the slap on the wrist they well deserve.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What did they smash the glass with? Surely it's toughened safety glass, so short of using a JCB, you're going to struggle to break it?
    A sledgehammer, which does make the opportunistic element unlikely!

Ant

They were one grab away from being caught
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    A sledgehammer, which does make the opportunistic element unlikely!

Ant
    Still begs the question, isn't there a type of glass that can withstand this kind of force and why don't jewellers with expensive stock on display use it? Must be ridiculously expensive.

At least no one was hurt and it's only money lost, not lives. Still scum though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Shocking. I must of just missed it as was around the corner from here at about 4ish.

Bloody shocking ,its like robbing jewellers is the new form of bank robberies.

Would it of potentially be possible for a member of the public to have pushed the bike over when it was stationary with the guying on it? (one would have to be pretty brave)
    I'd be wary: it doesn't take long for a bike to get up to speed so apart from the damage to my own, precious, squishy body, should one of the thieves die from impact after I pushed them off course I would probably find myself having a reasonable force discussion with the Police.

Master
    And yet another...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....s-flee-9586683

This time in Bolton, but again carried out on stolen motorbikes and using an axe to break the Pawnbroker's window. Surely the same thugs?

Ant

Master
    Only round the corner from my shop that H&T one.
    Awful, they went in while one of them stood guard with an axe rather than smashing a window for a quick handful, getting brazen!
    Quite a crowd gathered to try and fence them in but they still got away, one old fella got a whack with the blunt end of an axe.

Police reckon some of the thieves crash-helmets match from the Manchester raid, so looks like a local gang.

Seems insane to do this with all the technology available, the Manchester raid was filmed from about 6 different directions. If caught, you can hardly say "it wasn't me" - more like straight to jail scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Seems insane to do this with all the technology available, the Manchester raid was filmed from about 6 different directions. If caught, you can hardly say "it wasn't me" - more like straight to jail scumbag.
    Bit difficult to prove if they're all wearing helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Bit difficult to prove if they're all wearing helmets
    I would like to think that police forensics has advanced beyond - "if they were wearing crash helmets there is nothing we can do, gives them a cloak of invisibility"

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I would like to think that police forensics has advanced beyond - "if they were wearing crash helmets there is nothing we can do, gives them a cloak of invisibility"
    No but you'd need the crash helmet itself to be left at the scene to harvest dna evidence, and they're likely to bu in the ship canal by now, crushed at a scrapyard or burned in a furnace.

If caught at the scene, that's a different story isn't it!