closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A fine, fine innings sir, Sir Nicholas Winton

Master

A fine, fine innings sir, Sir Nicholas Winton

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33350880

Sir Nicholas Winton has died. Saved 669 children in WWII and never said a word, it was only his wife looking in the attic that found his scrapbook 50 years later. I remember the Esther Rantzen programme with him on.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 2nd July 2015 at 07:58.

A real British hero.

This tribute to his achievements is from 2013, when he was honoured by the International Raoul Wallenberg Foundation:

Master
    Definitely a life to be celebrated. A brave and wonderful man.

Master
    Embarrased to say I'd never heard of this man, but a hero indeed.

Some people talk good, some people do good, hero's rarely blow their own trumpet.

Well done that fella.

Master
    Tissues ready...
    Last edited by Dazzler; 1st July 2015 at 20:14.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gutted to have read this.

The man is my absolute hero. It was my ambition to meet him and shake him by the hand. Devastated that can't happen now :(

The word hero is overused today, describing the England footballers or other overpaid sports stars.

I think people forget what a real hero is.

Rest in peace Sir x

A true hero and extremely humble with it. There's an excellent book written by his daughter (Barbara Winton) titled 'If it's Not Impossible - the Life of Sir Nicholas Winton.'

RIP Sir; the World is a poorer place without you.
    Last edited by Skier; 1st July 2015 at 23:02.

A fine innings indeed, and truly deserving of all the plaudits here. May he not be forgotten.

Thanks to Skier for the heads-up on the book.

Craftsman
    I knew nothing of this man until several months ago having come across the video above. A truly great and inspirational man.

Another example of the breed that saw us through the second world war . Unassuming ,humble ,and a gentleman with the kind of qualities we can only dream of .

Absolute legend - he performed heroic deeds during a terrible time. My mother's family were from Czechoslovakia so I feel especially in awe of his acts. He was someone who made a real difference in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Some people talk good, some people do good, hero's rarely blow their own trumpet.

Well done that fella.
    Its fascinating how many people from that era did extra-ordinary things and then told nobody. Indeed the whole war is full of characters who if you suggested for a film they would tell you that they were too far-fetched.

Joan Pujol Garcia for example:

After developing a loathing of both the Communist and Fascist regimes in Europe during the Spanish Civil War, Pujol decided to become a spy for the Allies as a way to do something "for the good of humanity".[3] Pujol and his wife[4] contacted the British and American intelligence agencies, but each rejected his offer. Undeterred, he created a false identity as a fanatically pro-Nazi Spanish government official and successfully became a German agent. He was instructed to travel to Britain and recruit additional agents; instead he moved to Lisbon and created bogus reports from a variety of public sources, including a tourist guide to England, train timetables, cinema newsreels, and magazine advertisements.[5] Although the information would not have withstood close examination, Pujol soon established himself as a trustworthy agent. He began inventing fictional sub-agents who could be blamed for false information and mistakes.
    One of my favourites:
    He could never get a grip on British military nomenclature or culture. Imagining that Glaswegian drinking habits must be similar to those in Spain, he wrote: “There are men here who would do anything for a litre of wine.”
    He might also be the only person to receive both the Iron Cross and the MBE...

Master
    I just read his truly amazing story. It was opposite an article about Kim Kardashian praying that her boobs would stop growing when she was 14 years old. Nicky, as he liked to be called was indeed a fantastic man who never sought a moment's publicity. RIP.
    What on earth the Kardashians are all about or what any of them have achieved, I have no idea.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Never heard of this before, what a great man and a great story, a true hero.

mike

May he rest in peace. A very good innings too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Its fascinating how many people from that era did extra-ordinary things and then told nobody. Indeed the whole war is full of characters who if you suggested for a film they would tell you that they were too far-fetched.
    Indeed. Here's another: Major Robert Cain If you don't have time to watch the whole programme (and you should find time) just watch the last 5 minutes or so.
    Last edited by Skier; 2nd July 2015 at 21:47.

I've just come across this piece from That's Life that expands hugely on previous videos. Truly a hero.

Master
    I'd heard of him first as a fencer. He would have fenced for GB at the 1940 Olympics, had WWII not happened. There is a team fencing competition held in his honour, The Winton Cup. I read about the rest of his life in an article, I think, in the British Fencing magazine, The Sword. An amazing man.

Blog Entries
    No doubt a lot of people who are lucky to be alive will be mourning his loss as well.
    One of many hero’s in WW2.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.