closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Captainhowdy requires some help.... finding the right GMT Master

Banned

Captainhowdy requires some help.... finding the right GMT Master

I think I'm really starting to want a Pepsi GMT(16700) on a Jubilee bracelet.

I would really like some help and tips on what to look out for in terms of do's and don't s for these as I'm sure there will be lots around to choose from.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Ref. 16700
    Production Period: 1988-1999
    Model Name: Rolex GMT Master
    Caliber: 3175, 28800A/h, hacking, quickset (direct)
    Pressure proof to 100m/330ft
    Bracelet: Oyster 78360 and 78790 (Oysterlock starting 1989), Jubilé 62510
    Glass: Sapphire crystal
    Indexes:
    Tritum up to U-Series 1997: T<25 dial
    Luminova starting 1998: Swiss dial (variant: Luminova on T<25 dial)

1988 the Ref. 16700 replaced the Ref. 16750. The Ref. 16700 was cheaper compared to the Ref. 16710 which got introduced at the same time.
    The caliber 3175 (same functions as the 3075) had still the non-independant hourhand which was the main difference between the Ref. 16700 and the Ref. 16710.

New introduced with this watch:
    Sapphire crystal
    White gold indexes (altough some predecessors (Ref. 16750) were also already equipped with these).
    New case

Date-wheel has vintage open numbers until 1992/1993.

Only available in Stainless Steel.
    Bezel colors:
    BLRO, Blue/Red aka Pepsi (bleu/rouge), (Bezel 315-16700-6)
    LN, Black, (Bezel 315-16700-1)

No contest 16750 - you can have either white gold surrounds or nice older plots. Best of all imho. I wouldn't have a 16700. A 16760 might also appeal, and you don't have to put up with the II on the dial ;)

For me a quick set date is a must.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    No contest 16750 - you can have either white gold surrounds or nice older plots. Best of all imho. I wouldn't have a 16700. A 16760 might also appeal, and you don't have to put up with the II on the dial ;)

Ok, I understand, the matt dial does look better in the photos I've seen. But what about getting the right watch that has not been refinished too much, what are we checking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

16700 has a quick set date too, no?

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Ok, I understand, the matt dial does look better in the photos I've seen. But what about getting the right watch that has not been refinished too much, what are we checking for?
    Personally if i was after one i'd seriously consider finding a reputable dealer to source one insist on box and papers,your on very dodgy ground here ,and it's very easy to get burned if you don't know the score .
    Last edited by the big fella; 2nd July 2015 at 08:09.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Personally if i was after one i'd seriously consider finding a reputable dealer to source one insist on box and papers,your on very dodgy ground here ,and it's very easy to get burned if you don't know the score ,just sayin.
    I know what you mean, I've looked on Mike Wood's site and he does not have one. The good thing is that I'm happy to wait and get the right set.

Cheers,

Paul.

Blog Entries
    It is a nice vintage piece, but can you live with the below par bracelet Paul? Or is is something you accept in this case, because it's a "vintage" piece?

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    It is a nice vintage piece, but can you live with the below par bracelet Paul? Or is is something you accept in this case, because it's a "vintage" piece?

Daddel.
    Vintage? no, I think these would be classed as retro, not vintage, but either way the bracelet would need solid end links, screws not pins and I actually prefer older style clasp with miro adjuster holes rather that the new style jubilee clasp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Vintage? no, I think these would be classed as retro, not vintage, but either way the bracelet would need solid end links, screws not pins and I actually prefer older style clasp with miro adjuster holes rather that the new style jubilee clasp.
    Ta :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    If I had the money, I would source a late GMT 2 which has a 3186 movement, which is an anomaly and rare, on an Oyster and then have the luxury of a separate Rolex Jubilee bracelet. Very nice indeed.

The GMT (II) is one of Rolex's key differentiations from the market.

A 16710 is probably the only Rolex I would consider buying, for that reason.
    And I would get one from about yr 2000.
    Why?
    This generation (in betweeners) has the old style case with drilled lugs and supersafe full length springbars.
    But with the benefit of SELs on the bracelet.
    WG Indices
    Luminova that works (I have enough tritium elsewhere in my collection)

All the style of the old version, all the practicality of newer specification.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

Why?
    This generation (in betweeners) has the old style case with drilled lugs and supersafe full length springbars.
    WG Indices

Dave
    Like this I assume:

http://www.topnotchwatch.com/product_p/16710-211.htm

They have a lot of great stock although I know nothing about the company.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Like this I assume:

http://www.topnotchwatch.com/product_p/16710-211.htm

They have a lot of great stock although I know nothing about the company.
    Yes, just like that, but preferably without the ridiculous hyperbole in the description and repeated use of too many exclamation marks!!!!!
    Idiot
    "Buy the seller" - I'm off then

And without the import tax of buying from the US.

I was thinking more like this

And then get a pepsi bezel for when you want to be a little louder.

I've been to Brandizzi in Rome, nice people. I should add that I have not bought from them.

Dave

EDIT - on second thoughts the Brandizzi one doesn't have papers, and the bracelet looks too short.
    Last edited by sweets; 2nd July 2015 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    If I had the money, I would source a late GMT 2 which has a 3186 movement, which is an anomaly and rare, on an Oyster and then have the luxury of a separate Rolex Jubilee bracelet. Very nice indeed.
    Watchfinder have one but its POA.

Why?
    WG Indices

Dave
    I'm happy with my 1999 "Swiss" dial model. I'm not sure about the movement but it's a very practical watch. I don't think the superluminova on my SD is any better than the luminova on my GMT.

Mine's a coke bezel on an oyster bracelet but both are freely changeable so you could have one with a pepsi bezel on a jubilee too.

Why?
    WG Indices

Dave, I have been dreaming and scheming about someday getting a GMT Master, and your thoughts on the subject match mine perfectly. Cheers.

- Matt

Master
    Yes, just like that, but preferably without the ridiculous hyperbole in the description and repeated use of too many exclamation marks!!!!!
    Idiot
    "Buy the seller" - I'm off then

And without the import tax of buying from the US.

I was thinking more like this

And then get a pepsi bezel for when you want to be a little louder.

I've been to Brandizzi in Rome, nice people. I should add that I have not bought from them.

Dave

EDIT - on second thoughts the Brandizzi one doesn't have papers, and the bracelet looks too short.
    Haha it's funny as none of the hyperbole bothered me at all, just enjoyed the website. All good.

Master

Why?
    WG Indices

Dave
    That's a pretty spot-on description of my own, and I'd agree that it's a good combination of features and convenience. The independent hour hand is a real boon if you use it as a travelling watch, and you can also change the date pretty quickly using it.

Lug holes with SELs is a nice combination, both visually and practically.

I'd also recommend an oyster bracelet, with a jubilee as an option. I have both myself and although the jubilee looks nice, the oyster is vastly superior to wear. I also have a very nice brown cordovan leather strap which offsets the pepsi bezel beautifully.

Of all my watches, it's probably the one I'd keep.

Master

Why?
    WG Indices

Dave
    I completely agree.
    In fact reading that made me want to put on my 2001 Explorer II, as it fits perfectly with the above.
    It's the same sort of GMT & SD I'd look for; slimmer old Oyster case with all of the modern bits that I like, without the engraved rehaut etc.

Capt,

Forget the Jubilee and go for the for the Oyster which feels better in build quality and will not pull as many of your hairs from your unfeasibly hairy wrists :-)

Regards.

Keith.

Might be wrong but don't think the 16700 came with SEL's think they were introduced on watches later 2000 onwards.

Blog Entries
    Just got my '98 T<25 16710 yesterday (cheers Tony) and I am absolutely blown away by it, I didn't realise how much they differ from the subs.

For me it is head and shoulders above the dated subs through sheer elegance, style and functionality. It is not until you put them together you truly appreciate this.

For me the T dial was must and although I thought I preferred the coke insert, the Pepsi is stunning, so I am with you on your choice.

Depends on what comes along but after only a day of GMT ownership I am sure you will be nothing but very happy with what ever comes along.

Happy hunting

Paul

My 16700 from 1989 has quick set date at least. I bought it with a black bezel insert, later moved on to a black and red and currently I have a pepsi on it.

Can't find anything wrong with this model tbh. One of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Just got my '98 T<25 16710 yesterday (cheers Tony) and I am absolutely blown away by it, I didn't realise how much they differ from the subs.

For me it is head and shoulders above the dated subs through sheer elegance, style and functionality. It is not until you put them together you truly appreciate this.

For me the T dial was must and although I thought I preferred the coke insert, the Pepsi is stunning, so I am with you on your choice.

Depends on what comes along but after only a day of GMT ownership I am sure you will be nothing but very happy with what ever comes along.

Happy hunting

Paul
    I totally agree with this. For years this was my grail until I decided to pull the trigger a few weeks ago and picked one out of the sales corner from the Dutch Watch forum of which I'm a member. Fantastic watch with a lot of presence, versatile and elegant. I like to swap the Oyster now and then, which is very easy. I have one from 1991 with B&P. Very happy with it.

RLX150621-5 by Stef, on Flickr

Tudor150614-2 by Stef, on Flickr

RLX150621-8 by Stef, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    I vote 16750, for this reason...

(image is LTF's)

^^^^^^^
    The one i would go for and values still seem to be rising