timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Official Announcement

Rolex Official Announcement

In Australia at least - so probably world-wide:

"Two big announcements from Rolex:

Rolex 5 Year international warranty | effective July 1, 2015

The sales warranty for all Rolex Oyster and Cellini watches sold by Official Retailers will be extended to five years. This represents a three-year extension over the current warranty of two years. This guarantee applies to all models from July 1 2015.
    New Rolex Green Seal and Superlative Certified

All Rolex Oyster, Cellini and Rolex Cellini Prince models will be sold with a new Rolex Green Seal, to replace the Red Seal currently on all watches.
    What is the seal?

The Rolex COSC seal (red) and the new Rolex Superlative Certified seal 2015 (green)"

My friend bought one last week - Oops :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    [

All Rolex Oyster, Cellini and Rolex Cellini Prince models will be sold with a new Rolex Green Seal, to replace the Red Seal currently on all watches.

can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hand, a seal of purest Green?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wls1971 View Post
    [

Coming to a sales corner near you priced at £90 shortly...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

I shouldn't worry, in years to come, collectors will go loopy for the 'last of the red seals'.

The automotive industry went to much longer warranty periods decades ago; what took the watchmakers so long? If you make a product of true quality it shouldn't be an added-cost issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I shouldn't worry, in years to come, collectors will go loopy for the 'last of the red seals'.
    The transitional seal is the one to get.

Craftsman
    The COSC is an external certification whereas the superlative certified is a rolex certification?
    , 100 per cent of Rolex Oyster Perpetual watches are officially certified as chronometers by the COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres), the official Swiss chronometer testing institute.
    .. To describe these exceptional qualities, Rolex invented the notion “Superlative Chronometer”. This designation would thereafter be added to the inscription on the dials used until then to constitute the well-known “Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified”.
    They'll have to update their about page...
    http://www.rolex.com/about-rolex/movements.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The transitional seal is the one to get.
    I have it on good authority that for last few months of red seal production they used the newer green colour instead. I reckon those will be worth the most!

Master
    In Australia at least - so probably world-wide:

"Two big announcements from Rolex:

Rolex 5 Year international warranty | effective July 1, 2015

The sales warranty for all Rolex Oyster and Cellini watches sold by Official Retailers will be extended to five years. This represents a three-year extension over the current warranty of two years. This guarantee applies to all models from July 1 2015.
    New Rolex Green Seal and Superlative Certified

What is the seal?

The Rolex COSC seal (red) and the new Rolex Superlative Certified seal 2015 (green)"

I think he will still get an extra year as per the T&C.

My C.Ward Trident Pro came with a 60 months warranty...a lot less expensive than a Rolex too!
    Cheers Keith

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    My C.Ward Trident Pro came with a 60 months warranty...a lot less expensive than a Rolex too!
    Cheers Keith
    So what?
    That has absolutely nothing to do with what's being discussed here

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wls1971 View Post
    [

I got the joke Blackadder!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gregflat9 View Post
    I got the joke Blackadder!
    Yes indeed, gregflat9, except that it's not really a seal but more of a splat.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    So what?
    So the automotive reference earlier has but comparing Rolex to another brand that has already seen fit to offer a standard 5 year warranty doesnt?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So the automotive reference earlier has but comparing Rolex to another brand that has already seen fit to offer a standard 5 year warranty doesnt?
    Are you new here?
    It is emphatically NOT allowed to relativate anything Rolex within the watch industry.

Still quite welcome. Next is the automotive two up seven years.

Only controversial brands could increase a current service and be lambasted for it ;)

Fair play to rolex. How can it get anyones back up when a company offers more to the customer?

Its completely obvious which rival the warranty increase is aimed at - and why not? Omega had been allowed quite enough mileage on the back of the coaxials' supposed advantages.
    Its a good move on rolex's part to essentially say "So confident are we that we produce a well-made, simple, reliable product that we can step up to and largely exceed the warranty of the competitors we wish you the consumer to believe to be inferior".

And, from a selfish point of view, Im rather pleased.

Master
    Is there no official announcement on extending current 'in warranty' watches by another year as mention on the earlier thread?

No it doesn't.
    Cars and watches are often paired off, a man machine thing, I never really got it though, two completely different areas of interest

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Are you new here?
    It is emphatically NOT allowed to relativate anything Rolex within the watch industry.

Of course it's allowed, as long as it's not opinion and hatred portrayed as fact

Master
    Cannot be anything but good news for the consumer.

Do we know if this is going to be extended to service/repair warranties too?

Cheers Keith
    Of course it's allowed, as long as it's not opinion and hatred portrayed as fact
    I don't see any opinion or hatred in the first post though, only facts.

Still won't be swapping my old, out of warranty, Rolex GMT for a Christopher Ward though!

So what?
    I disagree. Rolex make an official announcement that they are now doing something that CWL have been doing for years. The comparison is a valid one. Just as valid as talk about a poxy bloody plastic seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don't see any opinion or hatred in the first post though, only facts.
    I wasn't referring to the first post though I was referring to Cilla's, which I quoted
    Are you new here?

Last edited by rob-vicar; 2nd July 2015 at 08:21.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    I disagree. Rolex make an official announcement that they are now doing something that CWL have been doing for years. The comparison is a valid one. Just as valid as talk about a poxy bloody plastic seal.
    Fair enough, but not relevant.
    Rolex extend warranty to 5 years, so what if other makers already do it? If you're interested in buying a Rolex, it is good news, but it wouldn't matter if another brand offered a 10 year warranty, again, so what? You're buying a Rolex.
    The poxy plastic seal is valid, as it denotes a 5 year warranty piece. Maybe not so important now, but could be when it comes to flip within the warranty period, as for some buyers in warranty goods are more attractive

Agreed, why shouldn't anyone comment.

Master

Butbutbut........but the seal is GREEN. That makes it WAY better than that lackadaisical, couldn't-be-bothered RED seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Butbutbut........but the seal is GREEN. That makes it WAY better than that lackadaisical, couldn't-be-bothered RED seal.
    We laugh about it now, but give it a few years, collectors will be falling over themselves to get a 'last of the red seal' models.
    I mean Rolex has to be one of the few that can command higher values on the S/H market especially if it has a knackered, I mean, tropical dial FFS

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    We laugh about it now, but give it a few years, collectors will be falling over themselves to get a 'last of the red seal' models.
    I mean Rolex has to be one of the few that can command higher values on the S/H market especially if it has a knackered, I mean, tropical dial FFS

Does anyone have a link to the source of these news? I can't seem to locate any official announcements.

Master

Master
    Thanks guitarfan.

The standout quote there for me (i.e. beyond the clear confirmation of all this) is:

'the typical time frame between service intervals has grown to approximately ten years'.

Does that mean [1] that Rolex's recommendation re service intervals is now ten years; or is that simply an observation that [2] on average the watches they receive for service are being sent for service every ten years?
    Last edited by Tom-P; 2nd July 2015 at 12:18.

Master
    No idea, but I would guess that's their estimate of when a watch would need looking at.

it seems to suggest you wait until your watch has issues before sending it for service, rather than routinely sending it in every 5-7 years......

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Fair play to rolex. How can it get anyones back up when a company offers more to the customer?
    All bets are off when it comes to ROLEX Wristwatches :)

Fairly sure buyers of ROLEX wristwatches don't compare warranty lengths in order to select their preferred product, like the buyer of a Kia might (to use an example of a brand that pushes its warranty as part of its marketing tool).
    Last edited by andrew; 2nd July 2015 at 11:34.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Thanks Guitarfan. This piece of evidence was nice. It is however something that can be easily fabricated. I would've thought that Rolex would announce such a change on their website at least. All in all somewhat curious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Cannot be anything but good news for the consumer.

Do we know if this is going to be extended to service/repair warranties too?
    No, still 2 years – as the linked letter shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Thanks guitarfan.

The standout quote there for me (i.e. beyond the clear confirmation of all this) is:

'the typical time frame between service intervals has grown to approximately ten years'.

Does that mean that Rolex's recommendation re service intervals is now ten years; or is that simply an observation that on average the watches they receive for service are being sent for service every ten years?
    It's worded such that it reads somewhat ambiguously – my take on it, is one of remarking on the service interval timeframe so as to suggest ADs should be encouraging their customers to have their watch(es) serviced sooner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Thanks Guitarfan. This piece of evidence was nice. It is however something that can be easily fabricated. I would've thought that Rolex would announce such a change on their website at least. All in all somewhat curious.
    Except it's not a fabrication – http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=420425

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    my take on it, is one of remarking on the service interval timeframe so as to suggest ADs should be encouraging their customers to have their watch(es) serviced sooner.
    Interesting - ie my version [2] above - yes, I'm wondering that too. In other words, potentially, they haven't changed the service interval at all, but have poorly phrased an observation to ADs to the effect that people are typically servicing their Rolexes every ten years when it should be sooner - and on forums around the world there is entirely misplaced global rejoicing at the apparent announcement of a ten-year service interval!

Except it's not a fabrication – http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=420425
    Thanks. Now I'm a believer. Looks like Rolex wasted a chance for some good PR.

I don't doubt it's real but that is no more evidence than it being posted on TZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I don't doubt it's real but that is no more evidence than it being posted on TZ.
    Not the picture, but several TRF members commenting on it and verifying it proves something.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Píng

Hmmmm...
    So it is identified that Rolex owners are extending the service interval to perhaps even 10 years?
    The recommended one still is 2.
    Obviously, extended warranty only applies when the watch has been properly serviced.

Clever. Vééééry clever indeed!

Hmmmm...
    So it is identified that Rolex owners are extending the service interval to perhaps even 10 years?
    Obviously, extended warranty only applies when the watch has been properly serviced.

I know they have a two year warranty after service but I thought the recommended service interval was five years.

Could be wrong though.

Master
    Quote: 'the typical time frame between service intervals has grown to approximately ten years'.

As above, this means either of 2 very different things:

1] we now recommend a service interval of approximately ten years, or

2] we observe that people are typically having their watches serviced every approximately ten years - and, dear AD, please encourage them to do it sooner according to our existing recommendations...

The first would reduce Rolex's service turnover and profits (dramatically); the second would increase them (a bit).

Most people have assumed that it's [1], but I wonder. Anyway, Ablogtowatch for one have interpreted it that way:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-5-...ice-intervals/

'Perhaps an even more interesting development is the fact that Rolex is now also claimed to officially recommend a 10-year service period for its watches, up from a previous 3. This undoubtedly means some massive savings, as it reduces the required periodical services (used to replace lubricants and check parts for excessive wear) to a third of its previous number. Needless to say, this not only indicates how Rolex has developed its products in a way that enhanced their reliability and long-term performance, but also how Rolex's confidence in the durability of its watches resulted in something that is highly beneficial to the end-consumer.'

Hmmm.

Hmmmm...

You misunderstand or rather choose to misinterpret and I see what you are trying to imply
    But the facts are:
    Rolex have identified that on average a customer will get their watch serviced every 10 years
    Recommended service interval is 5 years
    Service warranty is 2 years
    Warranty from new was 2 years and has now been extended to 5 years
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 3rd July 2015 at 07:41.

Quote: 'the typical time frame between service intervals has grown to approximately ten years'.

As above, this means either of 2 very different things:

1] we now recommend a service interval of approximately ten years, or

2] we observe that people are typically having their watches serviced every approximately ten years - and, dear AD, please encourage them to do it sooner according to our existing recommendations...

The first would reduce Rolex's service turnover and profits (dramatically); the second would increase them (a bit).

Most people have assumed that it's [1], but I wonder. Anyway, Ablogtowatch for one have interpreted it that way:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-5-...ice-intervals/

'Perhaps an even more interesting development is the fact that Rolex is now also claimed to officially recommend a 10-year service period for its watches, up from a previous 3. This undoubtedly means some massive savings, as it reduces the required periodical services (used to replace lubricants and check parts for excessive wear) to a third of its previous number. Needless to say, this not only indicates how Rolex has developed its products in a way that enhanced their reliability and long-term performance, but also how Rolex's confidence in the durability of its watches resulted in something that is highly beneficial to the end-consumer.'

Hmmm.
    I agree most people will interpret the statement as [1], but I just see it as an observation from customer records
    And [2] you can read that into the statement, but from that point of view it is a little vague IMO
    'Perhaps an even more interesting development is the fact that Rolex is now also claimed to officially recommend a 10-year service period for its watches, up from a previous 3.
    From reading the Rolex communication, there's nothing official about the 10 year service period, it's just an observation of customer behaviour, the service period AFAIK has been 5 years, not 3. Although some AD's do say 3-5 years

It's easy enough to ask someone connected to Rolex service department to see if there is an official line in servicing - but it won't change my servicing habits.

I wonder if it's printed in the booklets somewhere?
    I know Omega do so, they state every 4-5 years depending on what conditions you use the watch

Omega lol. Especially when you re-read the blurb on the release of the new co-axial and the expected extension of servicing periods.

Checked every year lol I can't stop sniggering - I doubt we are all Sat divers.

"Like any high-precision instrument, a watch needs regular servicing to ensure that it functions perfectly. We cannot indicate the frequency of such work, since it depends entirely on the model, the climate and the owner’s individual care of the watch. As a general rule, a watch should be serviced every 4 to 5 years, depending on the conditions in which it is used. A watch’s water resistance cannot be permanently guaranteed. It may be affected by the ageing of gaskets or by an accidental shock on components ensuring the water resistance qualities. As stipulated in our service instructions, we recommend you have the water resistance of your OMEGA watch checked once a year by an authorized OMEGA service center."

4-5 years seems to be quoted a lot from a number of brands - but I seriously doubt it's needed that often, and I think I probably average around 6-7 years for my most worn watches before they have needed any attention. 10 years would be better.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 3rd July 2015 at 11:26.

Omega lol. Especially when you re-read the blurb on the release of the new co-axial and the expected extension of servicing periods.

Checked every year lol I can't stop sniggering - I doubt we are all Sat divers.

"Like any high-precision instrument, a watch needs regular servicing to ensure that it functions perfectly. We cannot indicate the frequency of such work, since it depends entirely on the model, the climate and the owner’s individual care of the watch. As a general rule, a watch should be serviced every 4 to 5 years, depending on the conditions in which it is used. A watch’s water resistance cannot be permanently guaranteed. It may be affected by the ageing of gaskets or by an accidental shock on components ensuring the water resistance qualities. As stipulated in our service instructions, we recommend you have the water resistance of your OMEGA watch checked once a year by an authorized OMEGA service center."

4-5 years seems to be quoted a lot from a number of brands - but I seriously doubt it's needed that often, and I think I probably average around 6-7 years for my most worn watches before they have needed any attention. 10 years would be better.
    I'm a Sat diver, well, sat down desk diver!
    I'm with you, my Sub-Date got its first service at 12 then at 16 the second one only because I bashed it on a kerb stone!
    Always in and out of water sometimes hot ;) never once let me down.

Lucky or just a well made watch? either way I'm happy with it, now added a PO Ti (hence knowing the Omega stuff) I wonder if I'll keep it as long?

Master
    I agree most people will interpret the statement as [1], but I just see it as an observation from customer records
    And [2] you can read that into the statement, but from that point of view it is a little vague IMO

From reading the Rolex communication, there's nothing official about the 10 year service period, it's just an observation of customer behaviour, the service period AFAIK has been 5 years, not 3. Although some AD's do say 3-5 years
    Just spoke with Rolex UK (Ian) and [1] is correct, but doesn't mean there isn't a bit of [2].
    As for 10 year servicing intervals – only the initial service recommendation has been extended to this timeframe, subsequent services are still recommended every 5 years.
    That's not to say it will always be that way, but until communicated otherwise, that's the current position.

So anyone purchasing from the 1st, shouldn't need to worry about servicing until 2025 – of course, pressure testing for seal integrity should still be done in-between.