closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SB curved bars

Craftsman

SB curved bars

A couple of threads mention using curved springbars with the SB III in order to better accommodate a leather strap. Does one need to fit these curved bars in a curved strap or will they provide the necessary clearance for straight straps also?

If the strap rubs the case, does the case become "damaged" or just the strap? Or both? :)

Quote Originally Posted by thisisallen View Post
    A couple of threads mention using curved springbars with the SB III in order to better accommodate a leather strap. Does one need to fit these curved bars in a curved strap or will they provide the necessary clearance for straight straps also?

If the strap rubs the case, does the case become "damaged" or just the strap? Or both? :)
    I used curved bars in a normal strap. I suffered the effects of rubbage on the leather strap and hence abandoned the project, because the sight of the rub marks unsettled me.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    ^ thanks for that info. Are the curved bars for normal straps the same size as the lug width, 20mm? If it is curved then would the bar need to be longer?

^ thanks for that info. Are the curved bars for normal straps the same size as the lug width, 20mm? If it is curved then would the bar need to be longer?
    The precurved bars I bought were the same stated size as straight bars

I use curved bars in a RIOS Colorado strap on my SB III. The strap is padded and therefore rather flexible in the lug area, as a result it follows the curvature of the bars quite well and clears the case.
    If you are using a strap that rubs against the case, it will scratch the leather but won't harm the steel of the watch.

Journeyman
    I used straight springbars with this Hadley Roma. As mentioned, the strap will show a little wear with no affect on the case. The fit does not affect the movement of the strap I used. If you don't mind some wear on the strap, the straight springbars will be fine. I could see the exeception being a very thick strap where the strap was difficult to fit to the watch with straight springbars.

Master
    Very similar issue on my Sinn 556i - similar case shape. If you take a look at my thread on this you will see that curved spring bars with the normal strap worked just fine. I have just the right amount of clearance now.

Craftsman
    the 556i shots look good - the strap appears to be hardly curved at all. The watch does not look bad either. :)
    the curved bars available on eBay are either 1.5 or 1.78mm thick. Is there a preference of one over the other?

Master
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-CURVED...-/221621399475

I went for these ones. The thickness matches the original Sinn spring bars.

The strap doesn't really look curved at all when wearing the watch. You would never guess it has curved bars fitted.

Craftsman
    ordered! (from Australia) Thanks

Journeyman
    I curved a set of straight spring bars between two spoons for use on mine.

ordered! (from Australia) Thanks
    I got mine from oz

Journeyman
    I was reluctant to trust my SBIII to curved spring bars, but they fit well (ordered same size as normal spring bars), are not noticeable and do the job perfectly - they feel very secure. Bought direct from a UK supplier recommended via a previous thread.

Journeyman
    My jeweler struggled to fit a rubber b band on my gmt2 blnr. He eventually tried some curved bars. Job done. Enquired with rubber b and they said it was rolex tolerence!