closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC mark XI and mark XII

IWC mark XI and mark XII

I'd like to share my love for 2 little watches well small by*today's standards. I've always loved the look of these watches but I was always put off by there size at 36mm excluding crowns. I'm a biggish bloke at 6' and 17ish stone and I was used to wearing large watches like panerai but I wanted to wear a mark watch. I looked at the newer larger marks at 39mm but the dimensions just didn't seam right.*
    Over the past few years I've been collecting a few military watches and started to get used to there size especially on nato straps as it gave them a slightly larger appearance over a leather strap that seamed to put the emphasis on the watch head.*

I always wanted a mark XI but the prices where through the roof! a couple of months ago a mark XII came up for sale on this great forum and I managed to sell a few watches and purchased her.
    uploadfromtaptalk1435576098557.jpg

Just as I thought that was me settled for a while a good friend of mine offers me his dad's mark XI issued to him in 1951 and then panic set in! I'd just purchased the mark XII and I'm not well off by any means, luckily he wasn't in a rush to sell so I went through the watch drawers and sold anything that was spare a few watches I don't wear that often and a few I had multiples of ie precista and g10's and I managed to get the funds together.

I had intended to sell the mark XII when I got a XI but I just can't bring myself to do it.

the pair.

with a few friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Baden H; 29th June 2015 at 12:16.

a few more pictures

IWC mark XI and mark XII

A great pairing. The Mark 11 is small but perfect, really.

Master
    Can't help but notice that you have 2 CWC divers in the group pic above - do let me know if you're looking to reduce that number to one, assuming you have an auto...

SGR

Master
    I particularly like the Mark XII.

It has a classic look to me.

Sizewise, 36mm is fine in my book. I happily wore my 2006 Air King which was 34mm.

scooter

Good to see these two together.

All the Mk XII's I have seen here seem to be on a strap. Is the bracelet a scarce beast?
    As I remember the difference in price between a strap and a bracelet attired version was approx £600 in the catalogue(circa late 90's).

However you approach it, that is one expensive stainless steel bracelet.

Well done on acquiring the mk XII, and having friends that will wait for you to raise the cash to buy it.

Outstanding, and well done. That's quite a collection you've got there, by the way... any chance we could have a tour over on the BMW forum sometime?

Craftsman
    The XV is slightly larger and just "better" to my eye... is that next on the list?

I'm no PilMil expert but the IWC Mark has to be the pilot watch above all others?

A lovely pair - thanks for the comparison pics. The XI has a reputation for being fragile - how's it been since you picked it up? Maybe that's a little unfair, but I remember something about the JLC-based movement...

I'd take either, or an XV - perfect watch-shaped watches, from when IWC did it right.

Very nice brace.

Hate to tell you though, but I think you might be on the slippery slope to an expensive themed collection

Paul

Not surprised you can't bring yourself to sell the XII - with watches as great as these you just keep wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    A lovely pair - thanks for the comparison pics. The XI has a reputation for being fragile - how's it been since you picked it up? Maybe that's a little unfair, but I remember something about the JLC-based movement...

I'd take either, or an XV - perfect watch-shaped watches, from when IWC did it right.
    It's the mark XII with the JLC movement and I've had no problems with it at all. It's keeping awesome time approximately plus 2-4 seconds a day and amazingly so is the mark XI.

I need to keep the mark XI for special occasions as she's in great condition and I'd hate to damage her.

I've got a bit of research to do as my mark XI has a plain back with no markings it is a genuine iwc back so why?

My friend who sold me the watch was given the watch by his dad who was ex RAF and BOAC and as far as he remembers the watch has had no markings.
    Now I thought iwc might have changed this at somepoint and he had not noticed this but this watch is the rarer hooked 7 watch and I have found 2 more hooked 7 dials with plain backs? But never the straight 7 dials.

There must be a pattern forming? One of the other ones also had a BOAC history?

Any thoughts?

Baden

Quote Originally Posted by davy26 View Post
    Not surprised you can't bring yourself to sell the XII - with watches as great as these you just keep wanting more!
    It's near perfection if I had designed it I would have left off the date function. Other than that 99.9% perfection.

Oh and the lume has completely been depleted but it's a T dial and I'd hate to have a service dial..

^
    Agreed; the Mark XII would have looked better without the date window. But at least IWC hadn't yet come up with the triple-date foolishness that afflicts so many of its bloated and meaningless descendants. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    It's the mark XII with the JLC movement and I've had no problems with it at all. It's keeping awesome time approximately plus 2-4 seconds a day and amazingly so is the mark XI.
    I stand corrected - thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    But at least IWC hadn't yet come up with the triple-date foolishness that afflicts so many of its bloated and meaningless descendants. :)
    Agreed.