closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old new Navitimer... and it's a nice one

Old new Navitimer... and it's a nice one

My latest pickup is this Navitimer 806, a hand-winder with the Venus 178 movement. Originally manufactured in '69 or '70, it's been back to the Swiss factory for a full restoration, and so is now in as close to as-new condition as I'm ever likely to see. It's really a lovely old thing, and so very slim and un-flashy compared to Breitling's modern offerings. I'm absolutely chuffed with this one... so much in fact that I couldn't help getting a bit artsy with the photos:

One other thing I find interesting... Jeppesen are still turning out the same green paper logbooks my dad was using before I was born. The shades are AO Original Pilots, manufactured in Massachusetts to the same pattern they've been using since 1958. And as for the jacket, it's a good old classic A-2. So it's funny to think that these pictures could have been taken any time in the last half-century and still come out looking exactly the same.
    Last edited by workahol; 2nd July 2015 at 02:16.

Congrats on a beautiful watch. If that model was still for sale new I would likely get one. Because of the larger size, the fancy seconds hand and the date function I will not buy the modern version.

Grand Master
    That's lovely.

I was under the impression that Breitling refused to service anything older than about 1984 because they didn't have parts - but obviously the factory does. Perhaps that was a BUK policy?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Good question. The service papers that came with this one are stamped with the name of the Dutch Breitling dealer, so perhaps it does indeed vary between countries. Or, perhaps that's a recent change - the restoration of this one was done in 2010, so they could have changed their policy in the meantime.

Master
    Lovely watch congratulations, and jacket, is it an Eastman by any chance?

Thanks - it's a Gibson & Barnes actually.

Excellent, compared to the current Navitimer that seems much more legible

Absolutely gorgeous!

Stunning!

Craftsman
    Lovely watch and stunning photos - you have a gift!

Is it a Breitling strap?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Thanks - it's a Gibson & Barnes actually.
    It was your signature picture that made me think that, because I'm fairly certain it's on the front page of the Eastman catalog, enjoy.

Thanks gents. To answer the strap question, this came to me with a Breitling-branded black leather strap, but brown straps are more to my taste, so I swapped it out for a Hirsch Heavy Calf. The new and old straps are so similar that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Hirsch are the supplier of Breitling OEM straps to begin with.

Wow that is stunning.

I thought my 809 was a nice example of the classic Navitimer!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Ooh, that's lovely

Up to maybe around a year or so ago I didn't really care too much for such a watch, not because it's a Breitling but because of the busy dial and general old world look to it. Not now though, my tastes are changing and, particularly after trying on the newer in-house movement 43mm B01 recently, they're really starting to appeal. Wouldn't mind a Venus movement Top Time either.

Isn't it the Navi that holds the position of the longest single production run (in various guises) of an aviator's watch? Started making them in the early 50's and still being made today.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    If that model was still for sale new I would likely get one. Because of the larger size, the fancy seconds hand and the date function I will not buy the modern version.
    Totally agree with this. The date on the modern versions scuppers it entirely for me. The OPs however is rather lovely.

Yes, that's fantastic. I'd like to get my 816 looking like that - any chance you could PM me please with what they charged you for the restoration?

Excellent photos of a beautiful watch. I wish they'd make a modern version without a date aperture. This is much better balanced than the modern versions, IMO.

This is so much better than any current production Breitling. You have excellent taste, sir!

So I've had a few PM's enquiring about what it costs to do a restoration like this. I'll reply here because I don't mind sharing what little I know. The short answer is, I have no clue what the cost of the restoration was! It was commissioned by a prior owner, and the Breitling service papers that I received with it haven't got any prices listed. However, the paperwork does show that the following was performed:

Complete overhaul
    Back gasket
    Barrel spring
    Bezel spring
    Change of dial
    Change of hands
    Change of crystal
    Change of flange (I think this means the slide rule bezel insert)
    Change of pusher (x2)
    Change of crown
    Change of crown tube

So, everything but the case and movement has been replaced with new parts. If I add up all my guesses for what Breitling would charge for each of the above services, I get a properly shocking number. It also happens that I have a data point from user on another forum, who had this same procedure done to his own 806. I won't disclose the figure that he sent me privately, but suffice to say you could buy yourself a nice Speedmaster Professional for the same money.

I also wouldn't care to disclose exactly what I paid for my own Navitimer, but I will say that I bought my completely restored watch for about what it would have cost just to have Breitling perform the work on an old one.

Oh, I didn't take any pictures with the caseback removed, but I can report that it's absolutely pristine under the bonnet too. Perhaps I ought to post a movement photo later.

cheers,
    - Matt

Craftsman
    I like that, so much clear detail on the face. Lucky you. Cheers

That's a keeper.

Thanks for the restoration info Matt. Yes, a pic of the movement would be greatly appreciated.

Matt, this is just fantastic! What a beautiful piece, and you must be very (justifiably) proud. Congratulations on a great addition.

Best wishes,

Myron

Impeccable taste. I'm very impressed and am becoming more and more drawn to the idea of owning a vintage Breitling.

Master
    That is a lovely watch and back when students still used slide rules was one of the most envied watches in the world.

Nice - I much prefer their old logo to the new, blingy (to my eyes - no offence meant to other's viewpoint) one.

That's outstanding, and makes me realise what a plonker I was to have sold mine.

Thanks Tony... I'm afraid I can't disagree with you too strongly either, as it was your photos that in large part inspired me to hunt for this one! :)

That's great. Breitling should bring it back.

ismaaeel

That's just beautiful.

Craftsman
    Can I be cheeky and ask the cost of the Navi?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Can I be cheeky and ask the cost of the Navi?
    See post #20. :)

Craftsman
    See post #20. :)
    Apologies ! I missed that one.

Master
    Very nice, why is it that old stuff are so much nicer than the new stuff....maybe im just getting old sigh

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Very nice, why is it that old stuff are so much nicer than the new stuff....maybe im just getting old sigh
    One of the (few) nice things about being born in 1965 is that there are a lot of watches from that period which I think look fabulous but which the market doesn't hugely value. As an example, I got my first Moonwatch about a decade back for £400, and although prices have risen, they're still very accessible and just as good looking (to my eyes) as when they were first released.

Same goes for my Rolex 6694 and 6426, and my Heuer 3647S - absolutely beautiful, and the sort of watch I like to wear a lot of the time. Interestingly, they were seen as sports watches at the time, but would now - certainly the Carrera - be seen as more of a dress watch due to the simplicity and the diminutive size.

Why would you buy a modern Navitimer if you could have this? Superb.

Blog Entries
    That is a superb vintage Navitimer. It does make me regret some time ago I sold my montbrillant - though it did have a date complication it was quite a sweet watch and being rose gold did look rather fine:

Anyway congratulations on your Navi!

Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    Indeed. Lovely watch OP. The 903 St from Sinn looks like a very close brand new alternative. Didn't Sinn actually purchase the original tooling from Breitling?

https://www.pageandcooper.com/sinn-9...leather-strap/

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Indeed. Lovely watch OP. The 903 St from Sinn looks like a very close brand new alternative. Didn't Sinn actually purchase the original tooling from Breitling?

https://www.pageandcooper.com/sinn-9...leather-strap/
    Indeed they did, along with the rights to use the dial layout. Breitling pretty much shut up shop in the late 70s and Helmut Sinn stepped in, though Breitling themselves kept the intellectual rights to both "Breitling" and "Navitimer". When the company regained its financial strength it reinstated the Navitimer amongst its model range.

Edit to add - this explains it pretty well

https://www.definewatches.com.au/node/580
    Last edited by CardShark; 2nd July 2015 at 00:59.

Here we are chaps, a quick movement photo as promised. Forty-six years old but not looking the part! Click for full-size version.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Indeed they did, along with the rights to use the dial layout. Breitling pretty much shut up shop in the late 70s and Helmut Sinn stepped in, though Breitling themselves kept the intellectual rights to both "Breitling" and "Navitimer". When the company regained its financial strength it reinstated the Navitimer amongst its model range.

Edit to add - this explains it pretty well

https://www.definewatches.com.au/node/580
    Thanks for the link. Interesting article. *Sinn's website states they are now using the Sellita SW 500 in the 903 rather than the Valjoux 7750. Is the Sellita a modified 7750?* Am very tempted to try one of these (to put on a 'save up to buy' list). The 41mm case is larger than I prefer but 46mm lug to lug is good news and could be a good size for me. Thanks again!
    Last edited by beechcustom; 2nd July 2015 at 09:02. Reason: EDIT *

Master
    Here we are chaps, a quick movement photo as promised. Forty-six years old but not looking the part! Click for full-size version.

Stunning watch and movement.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Thanks for the link. Interesting article. *Sinn's website states they are now using the Sellita SW 500 in the 903 rather than the Valjoux 7750. Is the Sellita a modified 7750?* Am very tempted to try one of these (to put on a 'save up to buy' list). The 41mm case is larger than I prefer but 46mm lug to lug is good news and could be a good size for me. Thanks again!
    The SW 500 is a 7750 clone, Sellita are supplying them to fill in where ETA are paring back their supply. Sinn being Sinn, I'd be reasonably confident that if they didn't think that the 500 was up to the same standard as the popular 7750 then they wouldn't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    In-house movement, automatic, date, warranty, water resistance, availability of parts etc.

I would also rather have an 806 though, have had three I think (and an 809) and all gone :(

very very cool!