closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Facebook privacy - people you may know... "How do they know that?!"

Facebook privacy - people you may know... "How do they know that?!"

I barely use Facebook, I use strong privacy controls, I only have very close friends and family listed as 'friends', I don't have the app installed on my iPhone or iPad, nor do they have my phone number, but for the first time today it started making alarming friend suggestions...

Alarming, because it feels like they could only know these people by accessing my emails, messages, or contacts..?

These suggestions had no mutual friends like usual, and included work contacts, ancient acquaintances, neighbours, and even a few fellow TZers.

I've been trying to work out how the connections have been made by Facebook. I appreciate that some people, such as a fellow TZer, may still have my email address in their contacts, coupled with the Facebook app on their phone, the connection could have been made there, but some suggestions only know me by my phone number, so how does that work? Unless Facebook has access to my iMessages in some way, as the phone number and email usually go hand-in-hand.

I believe I have set all the correct privacy controls for my needs, whether that's on my devices, or the Facebook settings, but if data is being collected without my permission, I'd like to stop it if someone knows how..?

It's FaceBook, you either except they will find out everything and publish it no matter what privacy setting you use or just don't sign up. There is a good stay in touch side to Facebook but there is a bigger dark side. I love the way my ex boss always post what the latest run or bike ride he just did was, he doesn't seem to realise it shows he's out on his bike when he should be working.

I have a great long list of dozens of individuals asking to be 'friends' . No friggiin idea of who the hell they are either!

Master
    Degrees of separation? I often get suggestions to add friends of friends, usually complete strangers, but now and again they find someone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Degrees of separation? I often get suggestions to add friends of friends, usually complete strangers, but now and again they find someone I know.
    I definitely knew almost each and every one of these suggestions although we share no mutual 'friends', but may have been in my contacts, emails or messages at some point. Funny that it only started today too

I got fed up with all the e-mail that Facebook kept sending me, so labelled it as spam so it is automatically deleted.
    Problem solved.

I took a Suicide Intervention Training course (ASSIT) just before Christmas 2014. I coach children and adults in sports and football.

It was delivered by 3 police officers, one was in charge of the PC installations and networking.

He strongly advised against using Facebook and that was nothing sacred. Had examples of distant users being able to turn on you webcam etc..

Recently had my gmail account hacked and have no idea how it happened.

Crazy world on 'tinternet.

I don't do Facebook, but LinkedIn isn't much better. Unless you turn off a fairly obscure setting, it will try to harvest all your contacts and email them to suggest that they may want to connect to you.

I also suspect that both Facebook and LinkedIn (and various other social media sites) know more about you than you realise, and can connect your various email addresses, telephone numbers and other contact information together - along with that of your friends/contacts - to build up a very detailed picture of you. (In much the same way as the government is trying to connect our NI numbers, driver's licence numbers, car registration numbers, etc to better protect us/spy on us - delete as appropriate).

The old adage that if if you're not paying for the product, then you are the product, is especially true on social media sites.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I definitely knew almost each and every one of these suggestions although we share no mutual 'friends', but may have been in my contacts, emails or messages at some point. Funny that it only started today too
    But you are in Inversnakkie, progress has obviously just got that far! Up in JoG I'll give it a few years yet before deleting my account on FB :-)

Master
    Facebook buys companies like this:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/19/oct...actly-and-why/

They aren't interested in any limits on your information you mistakenly think you have the right to apply.

Thing is, this is the future, it's old duffers like us that didn't grow up with it that thinks it's a sinister abomination, future generations that know no different will accept it as the norm....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Imagine a decade or so ago, if the government had said to everyone...

"We want you to put on the internet, your name, location, job description, list of your friends and then photographs of your holiday, family gatherings etc etc etc...."

We'd have said...no way !...

but along comes Facebook and everyone gets onboard..

I steer well clear

Master
    Blog Entries
    The biggest culprit you'll find is people's mobile phones.

It's very easy in both iOS and Android to give the Facebook app full access to your contact list. If someone does this and they have your contact detail then FB can make the connection that you know them.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I barely use Facebook, I use strong privacy controls, I only have very close friends and family listed as 'friends', I don't have the app installed on my iPhone or iPad, nor do they have my phone number, but for the first time today it started making alarming friend suggestions...

Alarming, because it feels like they could only know these people by accessing my emails, messages, or contacts..?

These suggestions had no mutual friends like usual, and included work contacts, ancient acquaintances, neighbours, and even a few fellow TZers.

I've been trying to work out how the connections have been made by Facebook. I appreciate that some people, such as a fellow TZer, may still have my email address in their contacts, coupled with the Facebook app on their phone, the connection could have been made there, but some suggestions only know me by my phone number, so how does that work? Unless Facebook has access to my iMessages in some way, as the phone number and email usually go hand-in-hand.

I believe I have set all the correct privacy controls for my needs, whether that's on my devices, or the Facebook settings, but if data is being collected without my permission, I'd like to stop it if someone knows how..?
    I noticed exactly the same thing yesterday. It's as if something changed and all of a sudden the suggested friends had been harvested from my address book or e-mails. Like you, I thought my settings were water-tight.

Does anybodyt know if anybody has successfully made a request to Facebook under the Data Protection Act? I searched for this a few months ago and couldn't find anything that answered the question.

I've removed the Facebook app from my mobile phone and tablet and now only access it under a separate Windows profile that I don't use for any other purpose. Mind you, I only access it once a week to see what a mate in Sweden is up to. I get the impression with a lot of privacy settings it doesn't matter how diligent you are - it only takes a couple of acquaintances (whose phone book you're in) to grant access and then you're scuppered.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 25th June 2015 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I noticed exactly the same thing yesterday. It's as if something changed and all of a sudden the suggested friends had been harvested from my address book or e-mails. Like you, I thought my settings were water-tight.
    Same here, started yesterday.
    "People you may know" used to be friends of friends, but suddenly yesterday a big batch of people from work in particular were suggested, without any obvious connection with my facebook contacts, details or activities. The only way FB could link them to me would be through my emails or contacts.
    I would quite like to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Same here, started yesterday.
    "People you may know" used to be friends of friends, but suddenly yesterday a big batch of people from work in particular were suggested, without any obvious connection with my facebook contacts, details or activities. The only way FB could link them to me would be through my emails or contacts.
    I would quite like to know!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this yesterday, but worrying if they have somehow infiltrated contacts/e-mails/messages, especially as I have never used the Facebook Messenger app, they're doing it through the back door.

I understand that Facebook is free to use, and therefore using you as the product, their focused advertising pays the bills. But, collecting personal data without permission rather than being upfront about it is not on

Another thing that Facebook does when suggesting people you may know is to suggest people who have looked up your profile.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Deleted it just now

I wondered about that several times. This thread was a good stimulus to delete it. Thanks!

Smartphones .They uses fingerprint tech/facial recognition to unlock the phones, the conspiracy theorist inside tells me that this information, your biometric scan, can be sent, probably IS sent, over the internet to ???????????? Also with Facebook recognising your face, knowing where you are and where you have been etc etc, that information can be sent, probably IS sent, over the internet to ?????????
    As said in a previous post, if we had been TOLD by the government to upload our fingerprint, pictures, daily movements, family details and shopping habits to a database I can imagine uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    very interesting - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Another thing that Facebook does when suggesting people you may know is to suggest people who have looked up your profile.
    They claim they do not do this.

Reminds me a little of this:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    that pees me off, ya cant perv anymore, or they'll know, Lol