closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wife's Tag aquaracer service

Wife's Tag aquaracer service

My Wife's Tag Aquaracer needs servicing, its her daily watch, so dont want to spend a fortune on getting it serviced.
    Just had battery changed at Ernest Jones, they suggested getting it serviced as after the battery change, hands move intermittently.
    Would appreciate it if someone could suggest somewhere I wont need to pay a fortune and can be done fairly quickly.

Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by Watchseeker; 20th June 2015 at 19:41.

Chealewatch seem very reasonable for a total Tag wreckage

More seriously, Steve Burrage at Ryte Time, although he is a bit busy at the moment.

Loads of guys here on the forum could sort that for you.

Failing that give this guy a ring Terry Casey. TCA watches 07704678398

It's not a service that's required, just a battery, and new seal. It shouldn't cost more than £20 for a competent local watchmaker to do.

EJ will recommend sending it off to Tag which is a pointless and expensive exercise.

Many thanks, will call TCA on Monday

I'm not sure I understand this - the hands are moving intermittently after EJ have changed the battery?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    the hands are moving intermittently
    I guess he should just be grateful for the fact that they are actually moving...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I guess he should just be grateful for the fact that they are actually moving...
    ?????????????

Very helpful comment.

My wife's aquaracer sat with a flat battery for a couple of years, I popped in a new one and nothing - totally seized, back to tag for a new movement -about £300 all in. Probably could have got it done cheaper but the watch only cost me £300 when I bought it new about 7 years ago!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I had a formula 1 as a daily wearer throughout the 80's and early 90's when I sold it for £100 on here (it cost me £99 brand new!) - they might not be fashionable but they're not rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this - the hands are moving intermittently after EJ have changed the battery?
    As above, if the watch just needed a battery then you need to speak to EJ about the hands working intermittently as they could have fubar'd your wife's watch. Was it working fine before needing a new battery?

Grand Master
    I think it unlikely that EJ have 'fubared' the watch. Considering the fact that it stopped (hence the need for a new battery) it could be argued hat the fault had already developed.

My experience with quartz watches is limited, I`ve serviced a few but I can`t claim to be an expert where the various faults are involved. However, I find it surprising that the watch runs intermittently. Possibly the friction in the movement has reached the stage where it needs cleaning and relubricating.

Some TAG movements are cheaper to replace than strip down, even at my rates, provided a new one's still available.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 21st June 2015 at 22:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My wife's aquaracer sat with a flat battery for a couple of years, I popped in a new one and nothing - totally seized, back to tag for a new movement -about £300 all in. Probably could have got it done cheaper but the watch only cost me £300 when I bought it new about 7 years ago!!
    A new movement can be had from Cousins for £15-£40 if its a standard 3 hand movement and not a chrono and I imagine TH get them for less. Then you have about 1 hours labour to fit it plus whatever else TH deem necessary. I think its safe to say you could have got it done elsewhere for much less than the £300 you paid.

I quite agree, at the time I couldn't be bothered with the faff to be honest, the only reason I didn't change the battery earlier was because the back was on so tight nothing I tried would remove it. If it goes wrong again it'll be a diy job! You live and learn!!

If the hand movement is intermittent like the video below, its a low battery indicator. It's possible EJ replaced the battery with a duff one. It happened once to me at Goldsmiths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fGeqcWXPA

Quote Originally Posted by RallyePete View Post
    As above, if the watch just needed a battery then you need to speak to EJ about the hands working intermittently as they could have fubar'd your wife's watch. Was it working fine before needing a new battery?
    Worked well..a good daily watch...EJ are the ones who suggested a service and wanted to send to tag...£268 the quoted

Master
    Does anyone else recall the tale of the member who found that EJ were "subcontracting" battery changes to a local independent who charged them £5 and then handing the watches back to customers at £20?