closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: top gear

Master
    TG.............. GT................V8.................V6........... ...GTI..........TDCI..............XJ6............. ... Real petrol heads drive cars and enjoy them. Less talk and more driving. Less schoolboy TWOC-king and more about how they drive on real roads for real people. If I want to see Fast and Furious, I'll watch a vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    What you mean is more left wing political show full of PC correctness, hosted by a excruciating self centred egotistical right on brother get down wid the kids type person.

Next you'll be telling us you like Ant & Dec.

Has anybody picked up the fact that these people are all White, or is that going to be his crowning Spectacle.

Jesus Christ.
    That's not remotely what I meant, and I am deeply impressed you managed to interpret it in that way. What is the "Ant & Dec" you mention? And finally, are you concerned there might be a brown person on your television?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Mmm, nice.

Loved that bloke on OGWT.
    He's just released his autobiography sounds well worth a read!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    That's not remotely what I meant, and I am deeply impressed you managed to interpret it in that way. What is the "Ant & Dec" you mention? And finally, are you concerned there might be a brown person on your television?
    I was actually trying to think of any British motoring journalists who aren't white and only made it as far as Monkey Harris. I reckon he could do it without having to rely on being half Iranian (or whatever he is).

Interestingly, here's Monkey talking about TG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFPOPB0MmE

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    He's just released his autobiography sounds well worth a read!
    Thanks for the heads up.

He must have met everyone!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Please do not let it be Joddie Kidd or Suzi Perry - surely they should be selecting the best people who can actually make a contribution. Kidde can drive, but cannot present and Perry, well have never worked out her skills even when she was on the Gadget Show. Actually the thought of have a "bit of skirt" just to satisfy some middleclass user group seems to me like a huge step backwards in my book and rather insulting to women.

Perhaps all Chris needs a really good driver (a Stig type who can talk - Chris Harris please) and then guests who can do a "turn".

Suggestions for TG would inclide a series of features on history of the great manufacturers and lesser known ones. I would love to see a pieces on Ruf, Arbath, Zagaro, Singer, DeTomaso, etc.
    Keep the star in the car feature, but have them ragging their own cars around a track - that would sort the men from the boys. Start with Tony Mason, J Leno, JK, Rowen, etc.
    Extend the news feature - with actual reviews of the more interesting cars.
    Have a motorsport feature
    Have a classic feature
    Have more comparison tests - P1 vs Porsche 918 vs LeFerrani would be a good start, followed by Porsche GT3, AM GT3 vs whatever,
    A proper "barn find" and restoration piece - in detail.
    A feature on teaching Chris Evens (or other newbie) to drive a race car and then him going to some of the worlds great tracks (the old ones - not the modern F1 ones) and driving a proper race car.

Sorted!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Hope the Stig's gone too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Please do not let it be Joddie Kidd or Suzi Perry - surely they should be selecting the best people who can actually make a contribution. Kidde can drive, but cannot present and Perry, well have never worked out her skills even when she was on the Gadget Show. Actually the thought of have a "bit of skirt" just to satisfy some middleclass user group seems to me like a huge step backwards in my book and rather insulting to women.

Perhaps all Chris needs a really good driver (a Stig type who can talk - Chris Harris please) and then guests who can do a "turn".

Suggestions for TG would inclide a series of features on history of the great manufacturers and lesser known ones. I would love to see a pieces on Ruf, Arbath, Zagaro, Singer, DeTomaso, etc.
    Keep the star in the car feature, but have them ragging their own cars around a track - that would sort the men from the boys. Start with Tony Mason, J Leno, JK, Rowen, etc.
    Have a classic feature
    Have more comparison tests - P1 vs Porsche 918 vs LeFerrani would be a good start, followed by Porsche GT3, AM GT3 vs whatever,
    A feature on teaching Chris Evens (or other newbie) to drive a race car and then him going to some of the worlds great tracks (the old ones - not the modern F1 ones) and driving a proper race car.

Sorted!
    I'd watch that!
    Mike

No Suzi Perry? Heretic or gay?

Master
    "James May to host live car building show for the BBC"
    Link

Top Gear probably won't change that much.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Top Gear probably won't change that much.

Eddie
    Good grief, that's troubling.

Craftsman
    It'll become the "Chris Evans Show" - the man is too self-obsessed for it to be anything else ...

Chris Evans "I'm considerably richer than you already as like I to remind you but I still can't shut up and disappear from the airwaves plus I graciously let the little people drive my cars (if they bankrupt themselves bidding on Children in Need first....)"

TWUNT

Am I the only one that thought that Chris Evans seemed to be a bit clueless and not particularly interested in cars when he first appeared as a guest on Top Gear? He sort of vaguely mentioned that he had a Mustang and a Land Rover and then moved on to non-car related waffle.

Maybe he go into cars at a later date or the clip was badly edited or something, but afterward whenever I'd read about his Ferrari collection or love of cars I was always a little surprised given my impressions from that first TG.

Listening to CE yesterday on R2, it sounds as if his stressful workload is already causing him to have a breakdown.

Hmm yes must be sooo stressful producing light entertainment for silly money, poor sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    No Suzi Perry? Heretic or gay?

Should be consigned to strictly or the baking programme. I genuinely cannot see the point of her - just because she can ask some scripted questions does not make her worthy to wander about the Paddock. Now if she raced, or has some racing/sporting pedigree then that would be different. Alas she doesn't, so she is just a bit of totty or fluff for sad old men.

Sorry it just had to be said

BTW - She was looking rather rough at practice today.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Should be consigned to strictly or the baking programme. I genuinely cannot see the point of her - just because she can ask some scripted questions does not make her worthy to wander about the Paddock. Now if she raced, or has some racing/sporting pedigree then that would be different. Alas she doesn't, so she is just a bit of totty or fluff for sad old men.

Sorry it just had to be said

BTW - She was looking rather rough at practice today.
    I can't see her being signed up anyway because of her F1 contract. It would be a pretty busy schedule trying to film Top Gear and fly around the world presenting F1

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Kerry Katona confirmed to be a presenter on the new format Tope Gear,

As a lover of cars, Kerry is the ideal choice for a new age. Women want to be her, and Men want to be with her - Chris Evans
    source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/entertainment/TopGear
    Last edited by soundood; 21st June 2015 at 00:07.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Kerry Katona confirmed to be a presenter on the new format Tope Gear,

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/entertainment/TopGear

You are a bad man and you are not going to heaven :)

Discussing this with some other people who are obsessed with cars, we ended up agreeing that Brunno Senna would make an excellent candidate

I suppose you either get Clarkson or you don't. Stewart Lee nails it for me.
    https://youtu.be/K7CnMQ4L9Pc

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Discussing this with some other people who are obsessed with cars, we ended up agreeing that Brunno Senna would make an excellent candidate
    Nice bloke, plus he can drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Am I the only one that thought that Chris Evans seemed to be a bit clueless and not particularly interested in cars when he first appeared as a guest on Top Gear? He sort of vaguely mentioned that he had a Mustang and a Land Rover and then moved on to non-car related waffle.

Maybe he go into cars at a later date or the clip was badly edited or something, but afterward whenever I'd read about his Ferrari collection or love of cars I was always a little surprised given my impressions from that first TG.
    No you're not alone in this.... the x factor style auditions...Sorry just writing that making me feel sick again he said you should know as much about cars at least as me..... in a 30 second clip..... not difficult....he knows very little more than 30 seconds worth about cars just where to buy them from....

As to Perry above...she was a bike fan who got lucky break (as she admits) and served her time in Moto GP paddock presenting... she's as qualified as Humphrey was in F1 (more so I would say as she had motor sport presenting experience whereas he was a children's tv one)
    Whether she should be on TG or not ....Well I'm sure the producers will decide....Oh that's CE then.....

Craftsman
    don't care who it is as long as its more cars and less chat about rubbish!

Evans is a total car nut. I stopped watching TG because it was too formulaic and I'm not a pre-pubescent teenager. I find May and Clarkson far funnier when they're not scripted, and while I hope they go and do something different together, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what TG turns into with Evans. Think about it this way, Clarkson and co will be back somewhere, with a different version of TG, plus we get a completely different version of TG as well. If you don't like the BBC show, the other one will be along shortly on Dave, Sky, the Drive channel on YouTube or somewhere with enough money to meet the same production values the BBC provided.

Master
    Has anyone mentioned Tim Shaw, formerly from Fifth Gear and currently presenting Car SOS with Fuzz Townshend. I like his daft humour and obviously has car knowledge and passion. Fuzz is great too but more the mechanical man.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Jodie Kidd confirmed to be a presenter on the new format Top Gear,

As a lover of cars, Jodie is the ideal choice for a new age. Women want to be her, and Men want to be with her - Chris Evans

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/entertainment/TopGear/JodieKidd

Why does that link point to a Youtube of someone I've never heard of and hope never to hear again?

Master
    I said earlier I'd only be watching it if it had V B-H in it.

I'd also go for Liz Bonnin too:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...db748fdbc0.jpg

Feck knows (or cares) if she can drive though.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Why does that link point to a Youtube of someone I've never heard of and hope never to hear again?
    Head shot, boom etc

Not a fan of suzi Perry at all. Do we want entertaining generic presenters or do we want people with a history of cars? Ex drivers or car journalists?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    I said earlier I'd only be watching it if it had V B-H in it.

Rob.

I like VBH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Jodie Kidd confirmed to be a presenter on the new format Top Gear,

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/entertainment/TopGear/JodieKidd
    No! She's an awful presenter.

There's only one female presenter in the world for the job. Sabine Schmitz. If she got the gig I'd watch TG the way I used to watch Pamela Anderson on Baywatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Batteries Not Included View Post
    I suppose you either get Clarkson or you don't. Stewart Lee nails it for me.
    https://youtu.be/K7CnMQ4L9Pc
    That's funny (and true) stuff right there.

BTW Stewart Lee is a cousin of one of our members.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Tim Shaw, formerly from Fifth Gear and currently presenting Car SOS with Fuzz Townshend. I like his daft humour and obviously has car knowledge and passion. Fuzz is great too but more the mechanical man.
    I agree, but I don't think Evans would put up with someone that's actually funny and knows about cars. Equally I don't think Tim Shaw would put up with being obsequious to him.
    I think he's better off staying with Fuzz on Discovery, as that's where all the best cars shows are now.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 23rd June 2015 at 19:12.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Have a classic feature

Sorted!
    OK so that's the first program sorted, what about the second :-)
    Some good Ideas and I'm happy to see CE do it, probably needs someone like him to front it. I'm not a fan or a hater so reckon he's worth a try, though a little sad when he said on TOS last week he thought the show was still going strong up to the end.

I had the deep misfortune to see, for a couple of seconds the ginger tw@ on the box this evening, and wondered why on earth the BBC didn't pick Gene Hunt - aka Philip Glenister to host the new TG. a witty chap, clearly into his cars and a natural performer, without any of the irritation so redolent with Evans. His wife's lovely too. His recent series about doing up cars was most enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I had the deep misfortune to see, for a couple of seconds the ginger tw@ on the box this evening, and wondered why on earth the BBC didn't pick Gene Hunt - aka Philip Glenister to host the new TG. a witty chap, clearly into his cars and a natural performer, without any of the irritation so redolent with Evans. His wife's lovely too. His recent series about doing up cars was most enjoyable.
    I thought Ant Anstead was the star of that show and seemed more natural (and knowledgable) infront of the camera. Philip's a decent actor but don't think he could carry off such a big presenting role as Top Gear.

A reminder to everybody that the final "proper" Top Gear is tomorrow evening at 8pm on BBC2.

The last "proper" Top Gear before some irritating ginger bloke makes a series of programmes about himself, with additional features about his children and a few fillers about cars. But mostly about himself.

Meanwhile, rumours continue to circulate about a new show with Clarkson, Hammond and May to be made by Amazon, Netflix or some such.

I'm pretty sure which one I would prefer to watch.

Blog Entries
    Chris Evans impresses me........ About as much as an offer of £1.50 in three annual instalments for my house, my entire watch collection, my car and all of my cameras.

I will be watching him with interest on Top Gear. NOT!

Master
    Here's a left field suggestion for a host - Ed China

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    +1 and team him up with Clare Barratt from salvage squad.

Master
    Good on wheeler dealers, but not on the extended ones where he follows up on the car after it has been sold on. Surprising as he seems quite relaxed in front of the camera normally, then turns all wooden

No, no ,no, anyone who wears short sleeves over long should be banned, and he knows buggerer all about cars.

Rebecca jackson?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    he knows buggerer all about cars.
    SRLSY?