closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: top gear

Craftsman

top gear

Breaking news on bbc. Chris evans to replace jeremy clarkson!

Blog Entries
    any news about the other two seats?

Menno

Painful, how painful that would be. Pass

Craftsman
    Hammond and may not to be involved!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    any news about the other two seats?

Menno

Master
    I can't see that CE will have the brass neck to front the 'whoops, I've just accidentally set fire to that guys tent with the flamethrower on my caravan' type crap - so it may well actually be a better programme?

Craftsman
    A three year deal apparently.

If i was a betting man, id put money on jodie kidd as being one of the presenters

Master
    It will probably be one of the Evans hangers on whos had too many blue smarties.

Well done to May and Hammond for sticking to their guns
    Last edited by Chabsy; 16th June 2015 at 20:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omega steve View Post

If i was a betting man, id put money on jodie kidd as being one of the presenters
    I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating grapes, but she is rather wooden as a presenter. I reckon you're right though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Evans as changed his tune, in an interview he said no way on gods earth would he do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Evans as changed his tune, in an interview he said no way on gods earth would he do it.
    yerrrs, but I imagine that rather a lot of money may have changed his mind.

I dont think money will motivate him tbh. He has more than enough.

He'll be surrounded by his usual gang of sycophants, and every car he drives will be the best one in the world for at least 5 seconds.

I heard him on the radio last month stating quite emphatically that there was no way he would every present this

I guess if he gets bored with showbiz he could take up politics - he would be a natural

Journeyman
    Top gear wasn't watchable for me anyway. This just makes it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I can't see that CE will have the brass neck to front the 'whoops, I've just accidentally set fire to that guys tent with the flamethrower on my caravan' type crap - so it may well actually be a better programme?
    Hmmm, the program became a crock of tish some years ago, better / worse who can tell until its aired,

His daily mail car reviews are not great TBH.... It's a really safe choice for the BBC ...just slightly teeny bit anarchic enough that they think it will be edgy to keep viewers.... Why are the BBC so lame and (small c) conservative....the same old merry go round of known faces on their books.....

If they wanted to do it justice they should have cast complete unknowns who have no history elsewhere and turned it on its head......

After TFi maybe Plato it is then presenting too....and won't be the last time Lewis gets chance to drive track again.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464

Will it be the same Top Gear? Nope.

Is that such a bad thing? Not necessarily. Don't forget the ambulances, Peugeot etc etc

I think that Chris Evans will be good for the programme. You might find him annoying (I did initially) but you can't deny that he is entertaining. And a totally committed petrolhead. At least as much as, if not more than, the current trio.

Grand Master
    I always found Chris Evans intensely annoying till I read his autobiography. Having read it I changed my views; he's still annoying but I`ve got a new-found respect for him. I often read biographies about people I don`t like, it's one of my own eccentricities, and I often end up liking the person in question.

Hopefully, Top Gear will improve; the old formula had run it's course and I`d stopped watching even though I liked the presenters.

Given the amount of material/information available online about any car you could mention, is there really a need for a motoring magazine show? I guess that's one reason why Top Gear evolved into the silly charade it became, perhaps the original format really was obsolete.

Paul

I think he will do a great job, he's passionate about cars and I think it will be a new chapter in the show...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by omega steve View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating grapes, but she is rather wooden as a presenter. I reckon you're right though.

Jason Plato was also one of the audience members for the recent TFI.

So, in a case of 2+2=5,....

Master
    I get the feeling the producer may punch the presenter this time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    although I am sceptical, I could name 100 other people who I would hate to present it, he wont do a bad job,

imagine James Corden, Keira Knightley and Ainsley Harriot for example.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

As was Suzi Perry, and I got a sense of something in how they tried to be casual about saying "hello" to one another.

So I make that 2+2+2=9, then.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    although I am sceptical, I could name 100 other people who I would hate to present it, he wont do a bad job,

imagine James Corden

This!
    I've never been a CE fan - but, I think if the contents right, he'll present it well. Things could be worse. If it were corden I would not watch the show again - with CE, I'll give it a go.
    Jodie Kidd as co-host sounds like a good value bet!

Things change, people move, for the first few months it won't feel the same etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

Suzi Perry was also at TFI.

So, 1+1+1=the new TG?

(It could be a worse trio).

Chris Evans' show on Friday has some of the best live music you will hear, plus excellent banter. Megan Trainor a few weeks ago was an eye opener, such a voice and playing an instrument very well too. Evans is a very professional broadcaster, and I think he'll do a good job with Top Gear. With the three previous obnoxious ar$eholes removed it can hardly be worse. All IMHO of course.
    F.T.F.A.

Oh FFS.

As Bannatyne would say... I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    I get the feeling the producer may punch the presenter this time.

If it turns out to be Evens, OLeary and Kidd I don't think I will bother watching

Craftsman
    The BBC are going to have to mix up the show to make it work. Evans is not going to step into Clarkson's shoes easily so, as much as they will be tempted not to - the format will need to be altered!

Craftsman
    I can't see that there's any way the could get away with not changing the format. As others have said, the old format was getting stale and plenty of people were having a moan about it. I personally like CE, so I'm hoping that it will all work out. Time will tell though - it might take a while to get used to the new format.

I can't stand Chris Evans , so I won't be watching. Clarkson and crew, love them or hate them, made an entertaining program. Maybe better to kill the show off

For me with Evans at the helm, it's just another reason not to watch

Horses for courses I guess. I've not watched it for years due to the completely contrived situational stunts and the bell-ends presenting but I'll give it a go now that Evans has been appointed.

I accept CE is passionate about cars. I can even accept he could make a decent program, although I am not keen on his radio shows.

The mistake is to keep the label 'TG'. A brand new program, why not?
    Replacing JC, RH and JM I don't think so: It would have been hard enough if the old team had retired and handed the keys to the new one, but in these circumstances?

On the other hand, most people have the memory of a goldfish so the Beeb will probably get away with it.

Top Gear will be boycotted for sure now.

Though not a CE 'fan', he's very, very good at what he does and I'm sure he'll make a success of the new TG while keeping the 'spirit' of the programme. Gave up watching TG years ago - mainly due to the talentless Hammond and the ego of JC (James May I don't mind), but will be watching the new prog.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I can't stand Chris Evans , so I won't be watching. Clarkson and crew, love them or hate them, made an entertaining program. Maybe better to kill the show off
    Exactly. I call him Mimi.... me...me...me... I can't stand the overpaid ginger gobshite. Anybody who plays Bob Seger's "Hollywood Nights" on the radio and then talks right the way through it telling us how the Allegro used to have a square steering wheel (it didn't) and complaining how bland the car was (although that bit is correct) is an arsehole of the first water and is deserving of being rodgered with the rough end of a pineapple.

Rob

Master
    I won't be watching it, unless they have V B-H on it.

I'm not a fan of CE, but let's give him a chance and see how the show performs. I was getting a bit fed up of JC & Co. and their antics, being too contrived. Will be interesting to see the change of format, and new presenters.

Rod

I don't trust any man who lies about his golf handicap, it equates to cheating... which obviously says something about his win at all cost mentallity.
    He sounded like over excited school boy on the radio this morning (it drove me over to Talk Sport), he's faced mental health issues before maybe he just lite the touch paper again!

A presenter who can spoil the One Show is certainly going to be 'less than stellar' on Top Gear.

Oh well, can watch a film on Sunday evenings now...

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Though not a CE 'fan', he's very, very good at what he does
    No, you're going to have to explain that one to me, unless 'what he does' is buy radio stations and sell them for a big profit and I can't see that helping on TG...

M.

I have no interest at all in cars, ( rather liked my Austen Allegro actually ) so rather enjoyed the old Top Gear and the "larks" that those three got up to... I don't like Chris Evans though so can't see me watching the new series, still, at least The Clangers are back.... ...

I'm looking forward to seeing what CE does what the show, the last 2 or 3 years I've not gone out of my way to watch it.

I'd like to have seen Mark Evans (A Car is Born) as one of the other two hosts.

While Evans may be a petrol head in as much as he enjoys cars and owns some nice ones, I get the impression from the motoring articles he's written that he doesn't actually know very much about them.

Now Top Gear has long since finished being an actual motoring program and instead been a program about three blokes taking the piss out of each other. Except the kind of rapport between JC, RH and JM happens once every, er... well, I can't think of another time it happened on TV so the chances of Evans et al. recapturing it are slim to none.

So Top Gear won't be a bunch of mates having a laugh and it won't be a serious motoring program, so what will it be? Probably some kind of strictly x-factor light entertainment gibberish on tarmac. In which case I can hardly contain my apathy.

In nearly of all his shows over the years, it has been Chris Evans as the sole presenter with a supporting entourage. It will be interesting to see on TG if he is the sole main presenter or if he is willing to allow one or two others to have a more defined presenting roll and breaking with his tried and tested format.

I like the guy and think he is a very shrewd media operator. Plato and Suzy Perry is a good call and he announced this morning that he was only offered the show last friday afternoon, just before TFI. It could be a coincidence that Plato and Suzy were at TFI and referred to several times, or it could have been a carefully choreographed piece of Evans media.

I hope the show leaves behind the over indulgent long and boring segments that started to appear in the last series.

He may be Marmite to people but he's a hugely talented broadcaster on both radio and TV. When you consider Nick Knowles said in the Telegraph the other day that the Beeb offered him Top Gear (but he turned it down as he was too busy) things could be considerably worse.

I can't see the format resembling what it was under Clarkson, May & Hammond but the Top Gear brand is too lucrative for the BBC not to carry on showing Top Gear, in whatever guise it's in. I wish him all the best.

Craftsman
    I'll be looking forward to the CE version of Top Gear just to see which direction he takes it. Hopefully not too much 'cocking about' & preferably more about the cars themselves and any road trips taken. Would be good if there's some motorbike stuff, too but won't hold my breath.

It's a shame May won't be there - I liked his presenting style and his own programmes. JC will survive, Hammond can disappear back to a local FM station. I don't listen to any local FM stations ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Now Top Gear has long since finished being an actual motoring program and instead been a program about three blokes taking the piss out of each other. Except the kind of rapport between JC, RH and JM happens once every, er... well, I can't think of another time it happened on TV so the chances of Evans et al. recapturing it are slim to none.

Last of the Summer Wine.

The programmes even occupied the same Sunday evening slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The mistake is to keep the label 'TG'. A brand new program, why not?
    The Top Gear brand is a huge asset for the BBC, one of their most valuable. It has Live shows, Magazines, DVDs, Website and a TV show with a big following and global reach.

Top Gear existed before Clarkson, May and Hammond and I'm glad it continues to live on.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 17th June 2015 at 13:21.