closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True Detective II starts 22h June

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    hi, tonights opening scene, totaly twin peaks, wtf!
    ^^^ this ^^^

And the intro music reminds me of the Soprano's intro music. I still think that Vaughn is better than in most of his movies. Like Robin Williams, he's capable of doing something else than 'funny' characters.

Menno

Watching with my son, both huge fans of the first series and so are trying hard with the second, but both admit this is hard work. My son said with the last series, like Breaking Bad, he could watch them back to back but this is slow, over complicated and does not engage or involve the viewer in the same way. I think it's trying and failing to be clever. I'll give it another week.

Master
    Vince Vaughn is growing into his role. Or I am getting used to him. But the physical stuff in this last episode worked much better than last weeks monologue IMO.

Master
    My thoughts on episode 3:

Meh!

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    hi, tonights opening scene, totaly twin peaks, wtf!
    T'was the best bit...

Loads of my followers on twitter are of the same opinion.

I actually prefer Aquarius right now, season 1 completed, season 2 won, so looking forward to that. Ray Donovan is back with season 3 too and looking good.

Master
    ^ Cheers for the hot tip, downloading as I type

I really enjoyed the first series but finding the second vague and Vince Vaughn should stick to comedy as he canīt do the hardman bit very well; his scrap with the fat henchman was not convincing at all.

I knew this was coming up but totally forgot about it! Thanks for the heads up, downloading as we speak.

Master
    I'm struggling to find narrative to keep my attention in this season so far, it's trying too hard to be clever. I loved the anti-religious narrative of Cole in S1 and it sat so well in the deep south setting. There's nothing grabbing my attention yet in S2 apart from Vaughn's poor acting.

Blog Entries
    I have just caught up watching the last 3 back to back. I absolutely loved the 1st series, but as others have said this is trying to be to cool for its own good. Vince Vaughn is way out of his depth and I am finding it painful to watch. Story is all over the place with no central theme. Sorry but for me this is just a massive mess :(

Journeyman
    Finding it pretty difficult to follow and I think Vince Vaughan is really poor casting!

Agreed, some of the lines Vaughan comes out with just sound so cheesy. He doesn't suit the role, for me. He seems out of his depth, but in a way that kind of works with his character. He's playing a part, both in the script and in his character's life.

I'm willing to persist, but meh. Every time it gets to the bar with the table chat and that woman playing her sultry acoustic music with depressing lyrics I find it almost a bit comedy.

Shame, feels like none of the feel the first series had has made it into this. The quick cut scenes to the skyline shots and the deep, dark music simply don't work or are too quick to feel immersive and ominous. It just doesn't fit, doesn't sit right, and doesn't really make me want to keep up with it like the last series did.

I might start it again and watch it through fully when the series is done.

There was an element of philosophy with the last that really worked. A sinister tone. Of course how can that be repeated, or should it be... But now it's almost like I'm stuck in between some episode of neighbours and a cheap version of a Scorsesi film.

Blog Entries
    Let's all be honest this series is garbage, mutton dressed up like lamb and a prime contender for pseud's corner,after the first series I was really looking forward to this one but after the last episode I thought my life is not worth much but it's worth more than watching this tripe!

I think some people must have short memories. The first season was very slow to start, concentrating on the characters more than the crime. It built gradually each episode until the end. This one follows exactly the same formula. Granted the main characters aren't in the same league as Harrelson and McConaughay.

Master
    I'm inclined to agree with sevvy, up until last night it had been a bit of a let down and I'd been really struggling to get through episode 4 without falling asleep. However, after being left in peace at an uncharacteristically early hour I decided to make a concerted effort to slay episode 4 and motor on through episode 5, I totally get all the nay saying but that is where this season begins - everything else is backstory to help set the scene and I'm in for the long haul!

I fell asleep during the last episode and was woken up by the shoot-out at the end. If this week's episode doesn't keep my attention I'll be ditching it.

Does anyone actually understand the plot?
    The plot is so complex and given in riddles , like small crumbs of clues spread out the episode whilst instead focuses to much time on Frank infidelity with his wife and him trying to reenter the criminal world he left behind after losing 5 million in land deal ,as well as Ray's issues with booze, his kid etc and the other two detectives issues etc So its more like a soap opera with a complex plot know one understands and very little of each episode is focused on the plot.

Mrs P fell asleep about half an hour into episode 4 last night, and I called it a night shortly thereafter. I think we will give it another try but if things donīt radically improve Iīm out.