closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC chrono prices

CWC chrono prices

I was stunned the other day to see a 1980s CWC chrono advertised at Austin Kaye for just under 2k, there didn't seem to be anything exceptional about it.

I thought I'd check out the new prices on the '70s reissue - following a link to Silvermans website from CWC they show as £1,500. However the eBay shop for Silvermans has them listed at £1,750 with "last one 10 sold".

This seems like a £1,000 price increase on this model or have I just been napping? The other CWC watches are priced more or less where they were. Anyone know who is buying these watches and why the increase, perhaps they are getting to the end of their 'limited run'?

Regards

The price increases are crazy. No idea is what driving the prices up - they do seem to be increasing in popularity. Maybe it's just a cash grab?

Chrono24 shows an Italian seller wanting the equivalent of £2,500 for a used ex-military one, there's a couple on there for £1,400 and then Austin Kaye at £1,995. I'm sure I saw a seller in Amsterdam asking £2k.

Perhaps there's a European following. Though I was in Amsterdam a few months ago a jeweller was mildly interested in my '70s reissue which he dismissed it as 'trying to be like IWC' whilst he was wearing a modern Portuguese.

I bought a reissue from Silvermans at the end of last year and they warned that since the reissues were selling out the prices would rise. Still seems a bit steep that.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Though I was in Amsterdam a few months ago a jeweller was mildly interested in my '70s reissue which he dismissed it as 'trying to be like IWC' whilst he was wearing a modern Portuguese.
    Guy sounds like a bit of a cock...

Quote Originally Posted by henryviii View Post
    The price increases are crazy. No idea is what driving the prices up - they do seem to be increasing in popularity. Maybe it's just a cash grab?
    Supply and demand I suspect nothing more. They will probably settle soon enough to around the £1k mark for the reissue.

Just a week or so ago they were £899. I've almost bought one a half dozen times but kept putting it off. At £1500 it ain't gonna happen. I can pick up a good used Speedy Pro for not much more than that...

There's one on MWR for £890 at the moment

I have one. Bought it a few years ago and is my fave watch ever.

I cant believe the price they are now asking for the re-issue. I remember them telling me there were 400 of these being made but I see on the Silvermans site it now says Limited to approx 450. How can you have approx ? dont they know how many are being made? Odd. Maybe they can / trying to drip feed a few in at the inflated price.
    Last edited by gasgasbones; 13th June 2015 at 09:19.

I've had one for about 25 years now. I realise I've taken it for granted a bit. 'Standing back' from it you see that it's simply a beautifully laid-out dial in a nice compact case - and mine had been utterly reliable. It's marked 921/80 and 0552 - 924 - 3306 - does anyone know if that indicates 1980 manufacture please?

Quote Originally Posted by davy26 View Post
    I've had one for about 25 years now. I realise I've taken it for granted a bit. 'Standing back' from it you see that it's simply a beautifully laid-out dial in a nice compact case - and mine had been utterly reliable. It's marked 921/80 and 0552 - 924 - 3306 - does anyone know if that indicates 1980 manufacture please?
    Yes issue number 921 in 1980, 0552 indicates Royal Navy - Harrier probably.

Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post
    Thank you LM - much obliged.

I think I bought one of the last ones Silverman's had. It came with some crappy "Montres Swiss" box and not the usual CWC tin. The price was £770 delivered to the US. A week after it came I noticed that the website indicated that they were down to their last one. Lucky me, I guess.

It is a wonderful little watch. The 7760 is a joy to wind, and it's like having the best features of the 7733 classics minus the wear and tear (which adds character, no doubt) and the projects that often accompany vintage watches.

Myron

Myron, good on you for climbing abord the CWC chrono train before it pulls out of Affordable station bound for Collectability Town.

Despite Hamilton's attempts to prove otherwise, there's really nothing else like it on the market aside from vintage pieces. I know we both have a few of those in our collections too, but I'm with you on the idea that for practicality and peace of mind the modern version is hard to beat.

- Matt

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post

It could also have been issued to Sea King or Lynx aircrew. Equally if the watch came from the stores at RNAS Yeovilton (HMS Heron) it could have been used by the Hunter or Canberra pilots that were based there in the 70.s and 80’s

Master
    On the subject of CWCs, as I have been looking for a diver lately I have been following quite a few Ebay listings, for all the usual models.

It’s very noticeable how many of the CWCs - not the G10s but any of the divers and chronos) seem to be withdrawn from sale before the auction end. Bloody annoying. Presumably these either have a BIN added for the benefit of one person or they become off-bay sales.

Grand Master
    I was lucky enough to buy a CWC issued Quartz diver,and a few days after buying that I bought the auto date only version.
    Ive looked on the CWC and Silvermans website and no longer see the date only version,I've had a fair few people saying if you decide to sell it let them know!......why?,is it no longer available date only.

Superb watch it is too,as is the issued one.

Craftsman
    Interesting thread - prices are very fluid currently it seems - but you could deffo source an original one for a lot less than the repro if the top prices quoted here are correct!

Seems to be lots of experts here - so on a slightly different note - which type of pilots would have been likely to wear the Seiko Gen 1 - if you need an exact year mine's an 84?

Thanks!
    Last edited by RayTango; 31st October 2015 at 15:21.

Harder to narrow down with the RAF unfortunately - could have been issued to a pilot/navigator on anything from a Phantom to a VC10 and everything in between.

Apprentice

It jumped from £899 to £1500 in a year!

I have been thinking about one of these but it went from £899 to £1500 in a year. I thought I must be wrong so went to archive.org to check and I was right which I can't understand because it's such a huge leap. I still like the watch and would be fine with an alternative but Eddies is no longer available and the Hamilton remake has a very busy dial so I might have to pass on it. What are people's thoughts on the price was it cheap at £899 or is it right at £1500?

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    I have one. Bought it a few years ago and is my fave watch ever.

I cant believe the price they are now asking for the re-issue. I remember them telling me there were 400 of these being made but I see on the Silvermans site it now says Limited to approx 450. How can you have approx ? dont they know how many are being made? Odd. Maybe they can / trying to drip feed a few in at the inflated price.

At £899 they were a bit steep, but I suppose the price could be justified due to their uniqueness and the intangible heritage factor. Being from the far side of the pond, I was able to buy mine ex VAT, which made it an easier lift. £1500 is just bananas, if you ask me. Especially considering the fact that in the past two years I've managed to purchase two original issued chronos, a MoD-dialed example and a Hamilton logo'd one, for about £650 and £950 respectively.