closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IoM TT

IoM TT

Almost time for kick off, one day late - but it's a lovely day, and we have checked out the course a couple of times this morning to make sure it's suitable

Looking forward to some fantastic racing from 2pm!

Good luck to all, and ride safe!
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    2nd year I have bought ferry tickets, and 2nd year I am in the chamber and can't make it!!!!........ Next year I hope.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Almost time for kick off, one day late - but it's a lovely day, and we have checked out the course a couple of times this morning to make sure it's suitable

Looking forward to some fantastic racing from 2pm!

Good luck to all, and ride safe!
    Good luck guys! Have a good one....

Very jealous right now!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    2nd year I have bought ferry tickets, and 2nd year I am in the chamber and can't make it!!!!........ Next year I hope.

mike
    Im hoping I'll get see next year as well - so let me know if your are over and free, and we and we can talk bikes and watches over a few pints/coffees. We took some Aussie's for a couple of fast trips over the mountain this morning - and we have had a couple of clear runs earlier this week, so having a great time :)

Master
    Enjoy, anyone who's over there. Had Grandstand tickets but couldn't make it this year and had to give them up. I love the ITV4 coverage but it only rubs in the fact that one isn't there.

The TV footage is really good to be fair. So I get to see just as much on the TV as being out and about

Master
    The TV footage is really good to be fair. So I get to see just as much on the TV as being out and about
    Yes - but watching it slightly sunburnt and sozzled in Ballasalla (where I've previously blagged a bunk) as the sun goes down is perfection!

1st Anstey! (Yes!)
    2nd Hutchinson
    3rd Hillier

Michael Dunlop crashed with back marker at the nook - waiting to hear anything further, but hope both are ok.

Fantastic race and new race record. Really pleased for Bruce 1st Superbike win - and 10 wins in total now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Yes - but watching it slightly sunburnt and sozzled in Ballasalla (where I've previously blagged a bunk) as the sun goes down is perfection!
    Ballasalla is down south and off the course - but nowhere is far away over here, so only a short drive/ride to a hedge on the course.

Michael Dunlop is hobbling out of the ambulance, so at least he is looking ok, if limping badly.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im hoping I'll get see next year as well - so let me know if your are over and free, and we and we can talk bikes and watches over a few pints/coffees. We took some Aussie's for a couple of fast trips over the mountain this morning - and we have had a couple of clear runs earlier this week, so having a great time :)
    Will do matey, will do.

Thanks for the spoiler ;). Pleased for Brucey.

Fingers crossed for some more clement weather this week.

Glad Dunlop's OK. Any news on the other guy?

Master
    Ballasalla is down south and off the course - but nowhere is far away over here, so only a short drive/ride to a hedge on the course.
    (Indeed - I meant I like watching the highlights as the sun sets in Ballasalla having come back from the racing.)

It was Scott Wilson that crashed at the Nook, causing MD's off. I think he may have been spooked by Bruce flashing past him seconds earlier. Broken clavicle but otherwise ok.

I was mystified by McPint's lack of pace today. He'd looked quick in practice.

Cheers Tom

Strange pace from quite a few riders - but it wasn't as wind free as last year on the mountain, in fact it was less windy when we lapped a few times this evening.

Im glad both riders are ok from the spill. Hope Dunlop is fit for both races tomorrow - it should be another great day of racing!

Blog Entries
    Big shame about Guy Martin

It's been a bad year for non-race related accidents this year, the standard of driving/riding seems even worse than usual this year.

Still, on the odd day that the mountain road has remained open for more than 5 minutes, it's been brilliant fun in the Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    It's been a bad year for non-race related accidents this year, the standard of driving/riding seems even worse than usual this year.

Still, on the odd day that the mountain road has remained open for more than 5 minutes, it's been brilliant fun in the Porsche.
    Im glad you have managed some moments of fun. There have been more than enough accidents though, and I hope the rest goes without another fatality.

Master
    I guess something happened there this morning on the roads to cause the postponement of the Superstock?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I guess something happened there this morning on the roads to cause the postponement of the Superstock?
    Yep, another crash on the mountain course. I can see the main road up the mountain from the back of my house, and so can always tell if it's shut due to an accident. They must have closed it at least 20+ times in the last 10 days. The trouble is, all the riders want to cane it over there due to it being one way with no speed limit, but a good number simply can't handle that much power, or the presence of so many other bikes. When there's an accident, they all congregate at the bottom of the mountain, then all race off at once when the police reopen it. It's absolute carnage.

It can be carnage, agreed. But I have been doing it every year for over 25 years (the rest of the family longer -as they are old ;) ) and haven't had an accident yet. Riders should stay within their own limits. We never used to have one way traffic for the fortnight though - that's why it was Mad Sunday - as only one day to enjoy the one way system, which created a lot more potential for accidents - so I think the mountain is a lot safer the way it is. That said, I lap either in the morning and evening, and leave them to it mid-day, as it gets far too busy and every slow rider wants to go round on the racing lines without checking their mirrors.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow - but I am sure being a race day I won't get many laps in - the best time is the first and last weekends, when most of the bikes have not yet arrived or have gone home and we can get some more clear runs in.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    When there's an accident, they all congregate at the bottom of the mountain, then all race off at once when the police reopen it. It's absolute carnage.
    The trick is to get close to the front and stay there - then you don't have to put up with the crazies. We were in that exact situation the other day, where even two up we managed to get near the front and then over take all but one sports bike before the 33rd - so no problem with trying to pass slower traffic - when we got the to Creg a few bikes came down the mountain afterwards, and then 3 McLaren's in a row, one local reg too. Very nice and one of the nicest/smoothest runs over the mountain I have had all year.

:(

The racing is over, and I've had one of them out fantastic TT's in years - even managing to get a last minute invite from Monster Energy to watch yesterday's main race and enjoy the hospitality.

Meet some great people, chatted to the racers, and Carl Cox! Had a great chat with Stuart Garner and Simon Skinner about Norton - and Stuart, although disappointed with this years results was enthusiastic as ever - The personal time and money that a number of individuals put into the TT with little return other than the satisfaction of being part of it makes it a little special for me.

Highlight of of the day, after 5 runs over the mountain section on the bike at 5am onwards in the morning, was a fast lap on closed roads in a Subaru around the TT course! Just amazing, and something I won't forget - while they may have been slower than we ride in areas - though the more technical corners the amount of grip was surprising - they estimated around a 95mph lap, which isn't hanging around, and we slowed a little on the straights to let all the cars come back to set distance. Awesome :). I think managed to go pro the whole lap!

We still have a couple more days of one way traffic over the mountain, so I hope the weather holds out until 9.am Monday morning :)

Craftsman
    @ Omegamanic , Thanks for all the stories of the tt and Iom , information and tips, as a fellow biker /fireblade owner, I really enjoyed.

+1 cheers!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Big shame about Guy Martin
    Heard he was speeding in the pit lane?

Itv4 now the TT 130 mph club program should be some good action clips

Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post
    @ Omegamanic , Thanks for all the stories of the tt and Iom , information and tips, as a fellow biker /fireblade owner, I really enjoyed.
    You are very welcome, it's been an amazing TT - out again this morning at 5.30am , but it was very misty, so only one slower run, and headed to the Sea Terminal to wait until 6.30am for opening and a coffee. Thankfully it brightened up later, and we got a few runs in. Some nutter was over taking on the wrong side of the road (not on the one way mountain section- which would be normal), around blind corners - death wish obviously.

We will probably get out again for more quick laps this evening, and then super early in the morning, before the change back to 2 way traffic at 9.00am.

Ive had so much fun, and been quicker than 99% of all sports bikes on the tourer that I haven't even taken the sports bike out all TT fortnight this year :)

Craftsman
    Just curious about some things, Is there no mad Sunday anymore, because of the one way system on the mountain section, is the one way system for the fortnight, where do you watch from on the course for a race that you recommend, and finally what touring bike do you have, sorry for the Spanish in question.: acne:

There is Mad Sunday in name - it's the Sunday between practice week and race week.

There is now one way traffic over the mountain for the fortnight, and it ended at 9.30am this morning - so we were out again for a few runs over the mountain - shame it's all over.

I mostly ride a R1200GS, as well as a R1200s and a Fireblade. There are very few slow corners on the mountain section after the Gooseneck, so any bike that handles ok is generally enough, within reason - but occasionally you find yourself a good 30-40mph slower than some riders on the straights - the GS is maxed out at a little over 135 (some days temperature dependent with the twin engine it won't even hit 130!) and takes a bit to get there - the Fireblade will hit 175mph but you then you have to brake a lot harder for the corners ;). I'd say you can ride a GS at around 95%+ around the mountain and have fun (you always feel like you are on full throttle and could use more) whereas trying to ride a litre sports bike at close to 90% would probably be dangerous, unless you are one of the racers. I enjoy riding almost any bike and have done since I was 4 years old.

You can watch from almost anywhere, very few sections are out of bounds, you just have to get there before the roads close - but I'd recommend slower technical corners to watch, as the faster straights give little opportunity to appreciate anything other than the speed they fly past at.

We generally sit on the hedge at the back of one of the family members gardens, or Braddan Church is one of my favourite places, along with the Gooseneck, Signpost corner in Martin Bullocks' garden, or lots of corners over the mountain and down to and from the Creg ny baa.

Craftsman
    There is Mad Sunday in name - it's the Sunday between practice week and race week.

There is now one way traffic over the mountain for the fortnight, and it ended at 9.30am this morning - so we were out again for a few runs over the mountain - shame it's all over.

I mostly ride a R1200GS, as well as a R1200s and a Fireblade. There are very few slow corners on the mountain section after the Gooseneck, so any bike that handles ok is generally enough, within reason - but occasionally you find yourself a good 30-40mph slower than some riders on the straights - the GS is maxed out at a little over 135 (some days temperature dependent with the twin engine it won't even hit 130!) and takes a bit to get there - the Fireblade will hit 175mph but you then you have to brake a lot harder for the corners ;). I'd say you can ride a GS at around 95%+ around the mountain and have fun (you always feel like you are on full throttle and could use more) whereas trying to ride a litre sports bike at close to 90% would probably be dangerous, unless you are one of the racers. I enjoy riding almost any bike and have done since I was 4 years old.

You can watch from almost anywhere, very few sections are out of bounds, you just have to get there before the roads close - but I'd recommend slower technical corners to watch, as the faster straights give little opportunity to appreciate anything other than the speed they fly past at.

We generally sit on the hedge at the back of one of the family members gardens, or Braddan Church is one of my favourite places, along with the Gooseneck, Signpost corner in Martin Bullocks' garden, or lots of corners over the mountain and down to and from the Creg ny baa.
    Thanks very much , I have being to Iom a few times on the bike ,but not for the tt. I have a few laps done on a bandit 600 at the time and then a cbr600, I 've not being there since I've owned my fireblade, It's harder to get away with a wife and little girl at home now.
    but I always have in mind to go again, hence asking you for some local knowledge, so thanks again for being so polite and helpful.