timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deepsea Dweller James Cameron v Yachtmaster Blue Face

Journeyman

Deepsea Dweller James Cameron v Yachtmaster Blue Face

Hi
    Thoughts on the above ?
    I retire soon after 30years in the Fire Service and thought I would treat myself to one of the above ( can't afford both on a pension ! ) , I am drawn to the James Cameron if I can find one at the right price , I have always been an Omega person so thought I would have a change Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated
    Peter

Master
    They're two pretty different watches really. If it's the D-Blue you mean, it's probably not as good an all-rounder as the standard black dial, but I really like it myself and see the attraction. It's a very tough watch though the Deep Sea and wears better than most people expect, as it's quite flat against the wrist.

The YM is also very nice, with probably the most unique case profile in the Rolex line-up. However unlike the ceramic bezel of the deep sea, the YM bezel has a polished and bead-blasted finish which, if damaged or scratched is not an easy fix. Worse still, it's obviously platinum and should replacement be the only option, you're looking at well over £1000. It's a wonderful watch but this put me off them when I found this out.

You must try them both and see which fits you best in terms of wearability and design I reckon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The YM is also very nice, with probably the most unique case profile in the Rolex line-up. However unlike the ceramic bezel of the deep sea, the YM bezel has a polished and bead-blasted finish which, if damaged or scratched is not an easy fix. Worse still, it's obviously platinum and should replacement be the only option, you're looking at well over £1000. It's a wonderful watch but this put me off them when I found this out.
    The bezel of the Yacht-Master can be refinished to remove scratches - bead-blasted & polished - like any other bezel.

As for replacing it, this is, like any other bezel, necessary only when repair - micro-welding, for example - is no longer possible.

Banned
    What size are your wrists?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    The bezel of the Yacht-Master can be refinished to remove scratches - bead-blasted & polished - like any other bezel.

As for replacing it, this is, like any other bezel, necessary only when repair - micro-welding, for example - is no longer possible.
    This ^^

When serviced, Rolex simply exchange the bezels rather than attempt to refinish them, and you don't pay for a new one.

Have owned a standard black DSSD and a blue YM... The YM is very dressy (bordering on good-blingy) with the bright blue, PCLs and scared-to-knock-it bezel. The DSSD by comparison I wore for anything and everything, awesome watch.

Did you flog my old one Wayne? :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Fairly large , my current wear is an Omega Planet Ocean Chrono

I know not directed at me, but mine are 6.75" and both watches 'wore' fine on me.

Banned
    Ok then the choices are open. As a daily wearer I would go deepsea myself although some people find the weight annoying at times

What are you planning to do in your retirement? Work part time? Stay active? Sit on the sofa and watch Judge Rinder all day? Also, do you wear your watches all day every day? These are two completely different watches with two completely different roles.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    What are you planning to do in your retirement? Work part time? Stay active? Sit on the sofa and watch Judge Rinder all day? Also, do you wear your watches all day every day? These are two completely different watches with two completely different roles.
    The plan is golf , a bit of golf and hopefully some more golf ! with the odd day of electrical work thrown in for some beer money

Banned
    Is it safe to play golf with a Rolex? What about the shock? We should have a thread about that...

Journeyman
    Is it safe to play golf with a Rolex? What about the shock? We should have a thread about that...
    Never considered that , I have played for years wearing Planet Ocean with no issues , might have to research

Quote Originally Posted by clarkyred394 View Post
    The plan is golf , a bit of golf and hopefully some more golf ! with the odd day of electrical work thrown in for some beer money
    Then I would go for the Yacht-Master. The DS might give the wrong impression at the golf club unless you have a bit on the side thats a pole dancer with tattoo's and long toenails. I would go with the YM because it's so unbelievably comfortable and versatile. Then get a nice Casio for leccy work.

Journeyman
    Then I would go for the Yacht-Master. The DS might give the wrong impression at the golf club unless you have a bit on the side thats a pole dancer with tattoo's and long toenails. I would go with the YM because it's so unbelievably comfortable and versatile. Then get a nice Casio for leccy work.
    I am taken with the YM as you say bit more of a dress watch , leaving my PO for the macho look , unfortunately not enough pension money left for the pole dancer as well !

I'd also go yacht master- wonderful case shape and versatile

Banned
    Never considered that , I have played for years wearing Planet Ocean with no issues , might have to research
    I was not being entirely serious...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I'd also go yacht master- wonderful case shape and versatile
    That appears to be the general thought

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Have owned a standard black DSSD and a blue YM... The YM is very dressy (bordering on good-blingy) with the bright blue, PCLs and scared-to-knock-it bezel.
    I've still got your platinum dialled ym, by the way Lewis (i.e. not the blue dial one). Got it serviced and it looks new again, including the bezel (which was in a pretty sorry state!) so no worries there for the OP

The pcls do scratch up though and I wouldn't wear the ym as my 'one' watch. Sounds like the OP will alternate with a PO so the two watches would compliment each other rather than cancel each other out

Master

This ^^

When serviced, Rolex simply exchange the bezels rather than attempt to refinish them, and you don't pay for a new one.

Have owned a standard black DSSD and a blue YM... The YM is very dressy (bordering on good-blingy) with the bright blue, PCLs and scared-to-knock-it bezel. The DSSD by comparison I wore for anything and everything, awesome watch.

Did you flog my old one Wayne? :)

I never said it couldn't. Just not easily. The ceramic is much more wear resistant, and the YM's is not like an older aluminium bezel either which can be swapped for £30 or so.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 7th June 2015 at 11:30.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the comments , if I pull the trigger on the Yacht-master does anyone have any pointers to best dealers to use ?

Sorry to chuck another coal on the fire,
    At a recent birthday party in Mallorca, four blokes there were wearing black dialled Rolex divers, hmm just seemed a bit common in that crowd, at the moment I'm still undecided on the plat dial YM or a UN Maxi Marine silver dial, just something a bit different, a special watch that feels special.
    Your money your choice.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=nardin

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=nardin
    Last edited by number2; 7th June 2015 at 11:33.

The D-Blue. And for birthday parties of overcrowded black dialled Rolex too, it's blue
    Gray

Master

Shouldn't have seen this pic. They really are stunning.

The YM certainly is a pretty thing, but if I wanted to wear pretty things I'd get a sex change
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    The YM certainly is a pretty thing, but if I wanted to wear pretty things I'd get a sex change
    You old crusty you, its gender reassignment these days,

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    You old crusty you, its gender reassignment these days,
    I hope I didn't offend any of our realigned members.
    Gray

I hope I didn't offend any of our realigned members.
    Didn't offend me ;)

That pic of the yachtmaster makes the starburst dial look quite flat - whereas it's much better up close.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd get the DSSD personally.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    The D-Blue. And for birthday parties of overcrowded black dialled Rolex too, it's blue
    I like your thought process

Journeyman

Shouldn't have seen this pic. They really are stunning.
    I am attracted to blue faces , hence the toss up between this and the James Cameron DSSD

Journeyman
    Describing it as pretty ( YM ) has probably swung it for the DSSD as pretty sounds to feminine !

Master
    Describing it as pretty ( YM ) has probably swung it for the DSSD as pretty sounds to feminine !
    Seriously? The girl in San Andreas is pretty... I wouldn't say no!

Journeyman
    Seriously? The girl in San Andreas is pretty... I wouldn't say no!
    There isn't much I say no to these days !

Master
    Are you absolutely tied to one of those two watches?

If not, I'd consider a SeadwellerC or Sub C - same sort of look as the DSSD, but more wearable and less tall.

Master
    They're two pretty different watches really.
    Indeed. YM is too blingy for me and it would be the DSSD all day

Be different and get the YM, everyone owns a Rolex Submariner model of some sort, even me!

Craftsman
    Blue Face YM - no competition. That watch is the best looking in the entire Rolex catalog IMO

Master
    And, if you don't want a full service, the bezel is refinishable and repairable, so don't worry about wearing it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by exp- View Post
    Blue Face YM - no competition. That watch is the best looking in the entire Rolex catalog IMO
    Almost. The plat dial just beats it.

Craftsman
    Deep sea blue

I would say try both on. If your lifestyle would be more on the social side then the yatchmaster as a nice dressy watch will do. If you're always outdoors and doing adventure trails then the Deep Blue will fit nicely. I wouldnt bother too much on the nicks as it all depends on your lifestyle. A deep blue with knocks adds character!

Almost. The plat dial just beats it.
    Got to agree there. There is something about the Pt dial, as it shouldn't really work, but it does.
    I mean in daylight, you have white lume with white gold surrounds and white gold hands (except the red seconds hand) on a very light Pt background, yet it's still really easy to read.
    I should have kept mine

Banned
    Another point to bear in mind is that the blue on the SD is actually very subtle so if a blue dial is a big driver in your choice you may find it disappointing.

heres what I mean:

Master
    Lewis, I've never heard of a replacement bezel before from Rolex for free. I've never heard of anything for free from them in fact so this is surprising.

And, if you don't want a full service, the bezel is refinishable and repairable, so don't worry about wearing it.
    How and where? I'm genuinely interested.

Lewis, I've never heard of a replacement bezel before from Rolex for free. I've never heard of anything for free from them in fact so this is surprising.

How and where? I'm genuinely interested.
    So am I, as when I had one, no one would touch it, it had to go back to RSC and cost with service was £630, about 3 years ago. Mind you it did come back like new, and was still cheaper than the cost of a new bezel insert

Master
    Could always buy a Richard Mille.

Master
    YM without the polished centre links would be pretty close to perfect.

Agreed. Unless you have Arnie or Sly Stallone type arms then the Deepsea would add too much to your swing weight and your drives will be all over the place. I usually switch out of a Seadweller to a Carrera for playing golf these days but reckon the YM (if you do want to wear one on the course) is the better option.

Craftsman
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that YMs didn't hold their value as well as other sports Rolexes. I think that might propel me towards the DSSD if I was choosing between these two and had the wrists to carry off a DSSD (I don't).

Journeyman

GMT II NIGHT and AY

Well after a visit to a Rolex evening at Whittles in Preston and trying the DSSD and YM and after 3 glasses of champagne I went with something I never thought about and purchased a GMT Master II Night and Day and have to say I am rather pleased it IMG_1575.jpgIMG_1580.jpg

Banned
    Its a great choice! Enjoy :)